Z122r Zero Turn won't start after it warms up

Rwrunkle

Equipment
Z122r
Apr 6, 2017
Liberty, tx
I have a z122r zero turn that starts fine every time right out of the garage and runs like a top. Once it is turned off it won't start. Just clicks. Replaced the starting selinoid but still does not start. If it sits for 15 to 30 minutes it's starts and runs fine. It's about a year old and had it Back to the dealer 2 times and the find nothing.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
It comes with 3 or 4 year warranty? Give it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
Realistically, there probably isn't much in the electrical circuit, maybe the following, an oil level switch, a controller for the levers, pto switch, and starter/solenoid coil and ign coils. Easy few checks with a multimeter for them when it doesn't start will find the problem. By chance are you forgetting to disengage the blades, or not push the levers out all the way? Also pull the battery terminals and clean and check the ground connection.

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Ok let's get some more information. No crank (engine will not rotate with key in crank position) Cranks but will start (engine turns over, but will not run)

How many hours are on the machine?

Pat

Rwrunkle

Equipment
Z122r
Apr 6, 2017
Liberty, tx
Ok let's get some more information. No crank (engine will not rotate with key in crank position) Cranks but will start (engine turns over, but will not run)

How many hours are on the machine?

Pat
About 100 hours on it. No, engine does not turn over....just clicks when you turn the key. Last night my son started it right up, mowed the back yard, parked it and the it would not start. We changed the selenoid the feeds the starter.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I would try putting the jump pack on the battery or another battery.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
How's the oil level? If it does have an oil level switch (not just a low pressure cutoff) perhaps once it's run and pumped/dispersed oil up out of the pan it's too low to register on the level switch.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is the "Click" the starter engaging but not spinning the engine over?

Or is the click from somewhere else?

If it's the starter clicking but not engaging, then you have several possible causes. Could be a bum wire, bad connection, bad solenoid, or bad starter.

Second, is the solenoid from kubota? Or after market off the shelf from the auto parts store?

Powereng

Equipment
L2800, Z122R
Jul 11, 2017
West Michigan
Did you ever find a cause for your warm start problem? Mine just started doing the same thing. Starts right up, mow for 2 hours, shut off, go to restart and nothing. Just some clicking relays. I've test the seat switch, which seams to be a 2 pole NO/NO switch, and it seams to be working fine. The parking brake and control lever safety switches also seam to be working fine. Because it won't crank I has to be somewhere in the starting circuit. Anyone have a wiring diagram?