Kubota L4740 PTO will not shut off

Kubota 2007

Equipment
L4740, ZD326,RTV1120 b3030
Mar 18, 2017
PA USA
I have a Kubota L4740 HST PTO runs all the time, it will stop turning with clutch pushed in. The electric switch doesn't change anything other than turn the light on in the dash. Any one run into this before?

zigzag001

Aug 21, 2016
Dallas, Texas
I had this problem with my B7610. Not want you want to hear, I'm sure, but had to take it in and the replaced a $25 piece in the transmission for about $1500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
The above information while correct, is incorrect for you application!
B7610 is mechanical engagement while the L4740 is electro-hydraulic

I suspect a few things that could happen! Since the PTO switch is working. I would think that either the plates in the PTO clutch have warped causing constant turning.

The valve piston could have a bad o-ring causing bleed by or the piston could have debris causing it stick in the bore.

Pat

Kubota 2007

Equipment
Mar 18, 2017
PA USA
I removed the power from the PTO Control Valve, PTO still turns...... my next thing to try will be to remove Hyd. line from valve and run tractor and see if PTO see turns, if it does I'm assuming it's a clutch problem. If the PTO does stop I just have to replace the valve. They use hyd. pressure to apply the clutch am I correct?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
What happens when you turn the tractor off and push in the main traction clutch? Can you turn the pto shaft by hand? If you can then you have a valving problem. There will be no pressure holding the clutches together with the engine off. Then try reengaging the main clutch and try turning shaft by hand with engine off. If you can't turn shaft then your pto clutch plates are warped or stuck together somehow.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I removed the power from the PTO Control Valve, PTO still turns...... my next thing to try will be to remove Hyd. line from valve and run tractor and see if PTO see turns, if it does I'm assuming it's a clutch problem. If the PTO does stop I just have to replace the valve. They use hyd. pressure to apply the clutch am I correct?
Yes, that would work. You could just remove the line making sure that there is no residual pressure added and not fire the engine and turn the PTO shaft by hand.

If the shaft turns by hand then I would go after the piston (internal in the PTO manifold) or if does not, than I am afraid either way you will have to split the tractor between the differential and transmission.

Again, with incorrect information for application the is not a dual stage clutch or DT. HST have a dampner or single disc.

Pat

Attachments

Kubota 2007

Equipment
Mar 18, 2017
PA USA
I will try what you suggested,but...... I do know tractor is 6years old has 170hrs of those 170hrs maybe 4hrs at the most have been PTO HRS. mostly running a sand spreader, then this week(1st time ever) I hooked it up to my 3 point hitch snow blower,engaged it and it wouldn't shut off? All with in a minute or so, no extended working time, I'm sure the tractor wasn't heated up(it is garage kept) the reason I'm telling this is, I don't remember being able to turn the PTO SHAFT by hand, maybe because it is never used? I'll try it this afternoon and get back to you and thanks for all your help. I do know that when I push in the clutch the pto(snow blower) stops, snowblower works with full force weather PTO SWITCH is ON or OFF, there is no indication of slippage either way. I do know using the sand spreader the PTO did stop with the switch and turn on with the switch I've used it the last two years and it has worked great.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The main clutch severs all engine power to the back half of the tractor. Hydraulic pressure maintains power for the pto so if the engine is off there is nothing to keep the pto engaged. There can be no residual pressure to the pto clutch if the engine is off. If everything is operating the way it is suppose to you will be able to turn the pto shaft with your hand when the engine is off.

Kubota 2007

Equipment
Mar 18, 2017
PA USA
Pushed clutch in... PTO SHAFT rotates freely, clutch out, locks up. I removed hyd pressure line from valve, very little fluid present,no pressure, still locked up, two small 1/8" pressure ports in valve..... I removed plug, more fluid,no pressure, still pto shaft locked up. Question!!!! If valve was bad,could it hold pressure applying clutch pack, if there is a hyd lock between the clutch pack and the valve.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Pushed clutch in... PTO SHAFT rotates freely, clutch out, locks up. I removed hyd pressure line from valve, very little fluid present,no pressure, still locked up, two small 1/8" pressure ports in valve..... I removed plug, more fluid,no pressure, still pto shaft locked up. Question!!!! If valve was bad,could it hold pressure applying clutch pack, if there is a hyd lock between the clutch pack and the valve.
Highly unlikely there would be any pressure. Something has likely failed right in the clutch pack itself. Usually they fail the other way, where a sealing ring fails in the clutch and it loses hydraulic pressure and won't engage properly.

Kubota 2007

Equipment
Mar 18, 2017
PA USA
Not what I wanted to hear, can I split the tractor between the differential and transmission to replace the PTO Clutch Pack? Never did it before, I have all manuals and tools, anything I need to know before diving in?

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Not what I wanted to here, can I split the tractor between the differential and transmission to replace the PTO Clutch Pack? Never did it before, I have all manuals and tools, anything I need to know before diving in?
It would be wise to talk with someone who has a more intimate knowledge of the pto system. If you can get a hold of a WSM it might give more insight and tests to do before you 'gut' your tractor. JMHO.:cool:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
[FONT=&quot]If it's an electrically/solenoid operated PTO, I would pull the solenoid valve first, make sure it's not bypassing, and ensure it is functioning correctly, electrically and mechanically, with pressure on it[FONT=&quot]. May not be the fault but worth doing. If you don't have any joy maybe one of these will help you out.[/FONT]

N[/FONT]o idea if they are any good, cheap enough if it works...............
https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/225073832-kubota-l3240-l3540-l3940-l4240-l4740-l5040

or free manual for here, may be some similarities, might be a bit recent and many changes, it has L4740 as well, but for some reason the missed it in the title.....
http://www.kubota.cz/data/soubor/WSM_L3540-II,L4240-II,L5040-II,L5240-II,L5740-II EN.pdf

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
95% of the tradebit originated manuals are pure junk and a complete ripoff.
Tradebit lets every joker out there post up files and sell them without any checking if any of the files are any good.
Kubota would have them in court if they actually sold a Kubota manual. ;)

The link for the other manual you put up is a bad link.
It aslo would not help a whole lot as it's differnt.

But this whole thing is moot as he already has the WSM for his tractor.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
95% of the tradebit originated manuals are pure junk and a complete ripoff.
As stated first line above manual reference
[FONT=&quot]"N[/FONT]o idea if they are any good" , and of course it may be one of the good 5%
It aslo would not help a whole lot as it's differnt.
It's for a L4740-II, so I am sure there are some similarities
But this whole thing is moot as he already has the WSM for his tractor.
Link fixed, didn't see that he had a manual, hopefully the listed manual will hep some else out. I also said "MAYBE"[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] one of these will help you out, if they don't bad luck!
[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just to clarify:
Kubota 2007,
You do have a L4740-III and not a L4740-I (also know as L4740) as the L4740-I has a mechanically activated valve and the L4740-III has a electrically activated valve?
And you do have the right WSM for your tractor, (give the P/N in the back) because as noted there is several WSM for the L4740's?

100 td, kuboman, That might be an electrically controlled valve for a L4740-III but it isn't a valve from a L4740-II because they never made a L4740-II.
So maybe it is a ham sammich! ;)

Read the models closely!

100 td, The link you gave for the L4740-II is not a link for an l4740-II! :p ;)

We are all human... besides me... I'm an egg plant... we all make mistakes.
So before you throw egg, or in this case ham sandwiches, in someone's face , triple check your facts with reliable sources.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kubota 2007

Equipment
Mar 18, 2017
PA USA
I have a L4740-3 it has the electric over Hyd valve as shown in the picture. I'm almost positive I have the correct work shop manual for it, I ordered it and the parts manual with the tractor, it is at my garage now, I'll get the part number tomorrow, I did find the correct section on disassemble the tractor, looks like I have to start at breaking the bell housing then removing the trans, and from the rear of the trans remove the pto clutch pack. Wish it was as easy as I made it sound, Clutch pack is $850.00, seals and gaskets, I'm guessing are at least $150 + fluids & filters $200 total $1200.00. If I send it to the dealer I'm sure with them transporting both ways, and r&r clutch pack total $4 to 5k?