Fuel Storage

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I've actually finished setting up a drum to accomplish what I need for my RTV 900, my Zero Turn 331, and my MX5800. I do worry about messing things up with unfiltered or entrained water fuel, so I do filter it.

Attachments

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
I've actually finished setting up a drum to accomplish what I need for my RTV 900, my Zero Turn 331, and my MX5800. I do worry about messing things up with unfiltered or entrained water fuel, so I do filter it.

Nice. Do you get local delivery or have to haul that 55gal barrel to your local fill station?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Wouldn't hurt to put a cover over that if it isn't under an overhang already. The lip on the oil drum catches water, and since they aren't vented, they'll pull the water in through the bung at night when the barrel cools. Unless there's a vent I'm not seeing. Nice set up though, and would be all most of us would need.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
150 gallons from Craigslist for $150.00. Presently using the
front end loader and 5 gallon fuel can to fill it. My son insisted
on painting it gasoline red. Fairly hard-headed, from his mom's
side. Has a large in line filter. Hope to soon get the diesel
delivered and not pay the road tax. We add clear diesel additive
on a regular basis. Gravity flow of course.

Attachments

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Made some progress on my tank.

I ended up replacing the pvc pickup with a 36" steel one and put a 45* end on the suction side.

I got the vented fill cap on. I did not anticipate the center not being a 2" threaded hole. Shame on me for not paying attention. So I have a 1.5" bung to pick up yet to cap it.

I also replaced the drain that was leaking with a new one with a ball valve instead of the screw-in/out type. No more leaks.

Tank needs a wash yet and resprayed with some white paint.

Im still not sure about the platform. I ended up using that 4x8 sheet of plywood for sizing and then the drain leaked. I think I might frame in a 4x8 space and fill it with rock. Not sure i am committed to its location so I am hesitant to pour a concrete pad.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
If my memory is correct, that's a 275 gallon tank. My Dad was in the fuel oil business; I worked there in the summer time during high school and learned the capacity of all tanks and shapes by sight, that we used.

Somewhere around here I've still got a chart from those long ago days that converts inches of fuel to gallons for all the various shapes and sizes. I'll post it if I can find it... Handy for dip sticking the tank and knowing how many gallons you got.

Found one. Thanks for the idea to look.

Boo

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Wouldn't hurt to put a cover over that if it isn't under an overhang already. The lip on the oil drum catches water, and since they aren't vented, they'll pull the water in through the bung at night when the barrel cools. Unless there's a vent I'm not seeing. Nice set up though, and would be all most of us would need.
Yes, it is under a cover, but thanks for the note.

Boo

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
boo, where did you get the pump,,, model #,, $
I picked it up at Tractor Supply: $129.99 SKU #395801699

Reviews show that some people have had problems with them. There is a diaphragm version of it that costs a little more, but my intent is to one day put an electric one on so the wife has an easier time filling equipment.

Right now, I have to pump a half dozen times to prime it, but it works well once it is primed.