2003 ZD21 Hydrostat oil leak-Help

Nhraracer90

Equipment
G1800
Feb 21, 2016
Gerrardstown,WV
I just got an 03 ZD21 with a little over 2,000 hrs. It ran low on hydraulic oil and would barely move on me. I checked the fluid level and it was low, so I added some fluid and it started going again. Once I got it inside and parked I noticed that the bottom of the trans was wet. At first it looked like it was coming from the drain plug, but that was tight and not leaking. It looks like right behind the drain plug, there is something held in with a snap ring and that's where its leaking from. What exactly snap ring holding in? Is this common? Thanks

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Help us out! Picture of what you are speaking of. Sorry, we don't know every machine like it's the back of our hand.

Pat

Nhraracer90

Equipment
G1800
Feb 21, 2016
Gerrardstown,WV
Okay so I have uploaded a photo. As you can see this is the bottom of the trans unit and you see the drain plug. Its leaking from the other hole right behind it that has a snap ring in it. Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks!!

Attachments

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
That's the charge pump plate! It looks like you have to drain hydraulic oil and pull the circlip and wiggle the round piece out. It has an o-ring on it, bare in mind that there is a spring behind it.

Pat

Fitch

Equipment
ZD21, RTV900W
May 3, 2017
Carlisle, PA
I just got an 03 ZD21 with a little over 2,000 hrs. It ran low on hydraulic oil and would barely move on me. I checked the fluid level and it was low, so I added some fluid and it started going again. Once I got it inside and parked I noticed that the bottom of the trans was wet. At first it looked like it was coming from the drain plug, but that was tight and not leaking. It looks like right behind the drain plug, there is something held in with a snap ring and that's where its leaking from. What exactly snap ring holding in? Is this common? Thanks
I experienced the exact same problem on my 2003 ZD21F. It was NOT the snap ring item.

Right ahead of, and slightly below the transmission oil filter there are two lines that connect, one on each side. I recently experienced the leaking you are talking about. It was the O-ring on one of these lines. I replaced the O-rings and the leaking stopped.

Replacement is not difficult. The lines can be carefully pulled out, the O-ring replaced, and reinserted. The line will require some force to reinsert as the O-ring has to be compressed to fit. But it will go back in.

O-rings get hard after hours at temperature and start to leak. I had to replace the two O-rings on my strainer connection as well the last time I cleaned it.

Fitch