Kubota mowing problems

Lee 470

Equipment
GR2120
Aug 1, 2016
Lecompte, Louisiana
Good evening all, I just purchased a new GR2120 Diesel 23 horse power with 48 inch deck. Since purchasing the mower, the dealer has checked the deck twice. The mower leaves a cut line higher than the rest of the lawn. Also, the mowers rpm seem not to be at the right speed. I also have single strands of grass that are not cut in the "cut" portions of grass.

I have cut the lawn for years with my gas John Deere GT235 48 inch cut and have not have had this problem before.

Any suggestions??????

Thanks,

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good evening all, I just purchased a new GR2120 Diesel 23 horse power with 48 inch deck. Since purchasing the mower, the dealer has checked the deck twice. The mower leaves a cut line higher than the rest of the lawn. Also, the mowers rpm seem not to be at the right speed. I also have single strands of grass that are not cut in the "cut" portions of grass.

I have cut the lawn for years with my gas John Deere GT235 48 inch cut and have not have had this problem before.

Any suggestions??????

Thanks,
Check spindles, HOLD one and try to spin another, is belt tight?

On the strands.......take a tape measure and see if the correct LENGTH of blade is placed on it!

ALSO - check path of blade, like belt path, hard to screw that up, but has been done before. Check tension of idler pulley while there too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check both the length of the blades (for overlap of cut) and the condition and direction, wouldn't be the first time that a blade was installed upside down. ;)

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Do you have any pictures of what the deck is doing?
Check as suggested above. I would also turn the deck up side down turn blades tip to tip to see if a blade is bent, could be arbor mounting area is tweaked.

If the grass is standing backup after the grass has been mowed like within hours it appears the grass is higher than the rest of the width of cut. Try tipping the front of the deck to create more suction.

Sometimes it could be conditions! Like wet heavy grass, tall grass and ground travel speeds can effect the quality of cut!

Pat

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
-blades worn? (rounded tips?) Blade bent?
-Are you mowing at wide open throttle? If so, move your throttle lever on the dash to full throttle, then check the lever on the engine and make sure it's up against the stop. If not, adjust it until it is.
-Belt slipping? Check condition of belt and pulleys. While you're at it, check the gearbox fluid and check it for leaks!
-Spindles nice and tight? To check them, remove belt and try to wiggle the blades. If one or more spindles is loose, replace the bearings and try again. If you have to do the bearings, make SURE the new bearing fits tight in the spindle housing-seen many really loose.
-Is the grass dry? You can't mow wet grass effectively.
Is the bottom of the deck clean?
-Are the blades correct for the mower? You wouldn't believe the difference an aftermarket blade makes. I've never found a non-Kubota blade that will cut worth a crap. Not even Gator blades and a lot of people swear by them.
-Does it have a mulching kit installed? If so, mulching requires special care to get any kind of decent quality cut!
-Is the deck level, both side to side and front to rear? Before checking it, adjust the tire pressures....

On the deck level, I suggest checking the front-to-rear by measuring the front of the center blade and the rear of one of the side blades. Much more accurate than the "lazy" way of measuring the front and rear of one blade (usually the right side since it's easy to get to). And while on that subject, it's not accurate to measure the deck shell, the shell doesn't cut the grass the blades do. And for that reason I have MUCH better success in measuring at the blade. I use a J.D. blade gauge. The Kubota one is a lot nicer but also a lot more expensive.

Don't know where you're at but if you have those little "sprig" things, like grass that grows a foot overnight and is usually like a single stalk, then I don't know what will cut that stuff....I have a whole yard full of it and even with a great cutting mower I still have to go over it twice to cut it. Some call it Johnson Grass, but I don't know if that's the proper name for it or not. I call it tough grass.

That mower cuts extremely well, but only if everything's up to par. I would say it's got almost as good as cut quality as the John Deere 44" Piranha decks had....they were the absolute best cut quality, IMO, but also a pain in the rear end with their 6 blade setup and plastic under-deck baffling.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
One simple thing to check that's often overlooked. Check the tire pressures :rolleyes: spent half a day adjusting deck height and checking level thinking my kid hit something and knocked the deck out of whack. Come to find out one of the rear tires was low leaving a line :eek:

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I have same machine same deck and it has been cutting perfectly for 3 years now . Defiantly sounds like a belt or belt tensioner pulley issue , being a new machine I would expect that the mower was assembled at the factory but the dealer should be able to figure out what's happening with it. If rpm don't sound right then something must be slipping. Mine doesn't need full throttle to cut grass on flat surface, anything over half works well unless there are hills or long grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee 470

Equipment
GR2120
Aug 1, 2016
Lecompte, Louisiana
I have same machine same deck and it has been cutting perfectly for 3 years now . Defiantly sounds like a belt or belt tensioner pulley issue , being a new machine I would expect that the mower was assembled at the factory but the dealer should be able to figure out what's happening with it. If rpm don't sound right then something must be slipping. Mine doesn't need full throttle to cut grass on flat surface, anything over half works well unless there are hills or long grass.

OBKubota,

Thanks for your reply. I have another question? When turning around to go back in one direction, does the mower leave a deep circle were the belly cuts deeper than the rest of the lawn? Thanks for you suggestions.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OBKubota,

Thanks for your reply. I have another question? When turning around to go back in one direction, does the mower leave a deep circle were the belly cuts deeper than the rest of the lawn? Thanks for you suggestions.
That should not be the case, something is "wrong" with your level of the deck if that is the problem. Have you measured the blades to a level floor? It is a royal PITA to lie down and measure the distance to all blade tips to a level floor - but it will tell the "true" story of what is going on while cutting on level ground.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Oh no not on flat ground ,if I am coming out of ditch and forget to raise deck or too close to large tree with mound and machine gets on a slant then yes. Like Darren said check tire pressure first. If not that then like others have said something is not right with deck adjustment. The manual explains all about deck installation Wish you luck.

Lee 470

Equipment
GR2120
Aug 1, 2016
Lecompte, Louisiana
I would like to kindly thank all that have replied to my problem. This afternoon I and a friend pulled the mower into the carport started to go over some of the things that were suggested. We pulled the mower onto a ramp and measured the blades on the deck. The blade on the discharge side has a 5/8 gap between the two blades. On the other side of the mower belly the blades almost touch. We then measured the deck on both sides. The deck on the left side front was 7/8 inches from the concrete to the deck. On the left side on the back of the deck the measurement was 7/8 inches from concrete to the bottom of the deck. On the discharge side of the mower the front measurements was 3/4 inches from the concrete to the bottom of the deck. On the back side of the deck the measurement was 1 inch. The deck was set to #1 on the settings when we measured the deck.

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
5/8" gap between discharge blade and middle blade? Did you measure that outer blade? It should be the same length as the others. Part numbers are the same.

Pat