Is there a Trencher implement for 3-pt on a BX

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I will be needing a trencher this summer. Lots of irrigation pipe to lay and conduit for driveway gate and lighting, etc.

I was thinking of renting a walk behind "DitchWitch" type, but that forces me to do a lot of work in a short time or spend a bunch of $$ to rent equipment then leave it sit for a while (while I rest between jobs and do other stuff).

So know I'm thinking maybe I should buy something - then I can work at my own pace - and have another tool in the arsenal.

Is there a 3-pt mount, PTO-driven Trencher implement available for the BX tractors? If there is such an attachment, how much would it cost?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Unless you have rocky soil, the cheap way to go would be a 3 point subsoiler, and one of these. It is a tube, that attaches to the subsoiler, and as you subsoil, it lays pipe. If you have an occasional rock, or want to lay it deep, you can always rip it twice, once in each direction, laying the pipe, on the 2nd pass.

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.a...XW7wRcpcPLnqfZF38zmfZ7lawP_jtLQFPEaAo_Z8P8HAQ

If you want to buy a 3 point mechanical chain digger, I'm sure someone makes them, but likely it'll set you back about 5 grand or more...:D:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ditto what Dave said - excellent tool for "soil" - ifn you got a lot of rocks, might be hit and miss.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Unless you have rocky soil, the cheap way to go would be a 3 point subsoiler, and one of these. It is a tube, that attaches to the subsoiler, and as you subsoil, it lays pipe. If you have an occasional rock, or want to lay it deep, you can always rip it twice, once in each direction, laying the pipe, on the 2nd pass.

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.a...XW7wRcpcPLnqfZF38zmfZ7lawP_jtLQFPEaAo_Z8P8HAQ

If you want to buy a 3 point mechanical chain digger, I'm sure someone makes them, but likely it'll set you back about 5 grand or more...:D:D
That's a good idea for flexible pipe.
I was going to use ridged PVC for irrigation and conduit, but flexible piping is a good idea.
So I would need a "single tine riper" and that "pipe feeder" you linked to.

Where do you mount the pipe spool (assuming I would buy the irrigation pipe and direct burial cable in large spools)? Or does someone need to walk along side and feed the pipe into the "feeder"?

How does this process work?
I'm by myself for this work.
Thanks.

BTW - I'm in central FL, so no problems with rocks.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I had bought something similar at tractor supply a few years back. I was running a underground wire to a light pole. With hard ground it did not bite it. A friend happed to stop by while I was doing it. He stood on the ripper and I would make a pass several tractor lengths. Pick it up , back up and do it again. After several passes (and my buddy standing on the ripper wasn't fat) it made a trench for the elec wire. Beats digging by hand.

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
it all depends on the ground conditions. by the end of summer, my subsoiler won't bite into the ground and if it does I'll spin my wheels trying to pull it through the ground. in the spring when the ground is still soft my B2910 can pull it no problem.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Just a word of advice if you go the DW route, go bigger than you think.

Last summer I needed to run 375' of water line and 125' for power. I rented a walk behind trencher and spent 6 hours and did not get the depth I wanted. Also had a difficult time keeping the trenches straight and was constantly having to re-do parts.

I got frustrated and returned, and went with a tractor mounted trencher from a different rental shop. With that larger, ride on machine, I was able to do the entire job, 3' and 4' deep in less than an hour.

I can't remember the exact prices, but I had the walk behind for a day, + trailer, and it was just under $200. The tractor, + trailer, rented all in for 1/2 day was just shy of $300.

I could have done 5x the work, and it was cleaner, deeper, and much less effort using the tractor.