Oil/filter cost - Dealer vs ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Been looking to change all the fluids in the BX, and with that wanted to go ahead and see for myself the "difference" between the standard stuff and the new synthetic stuff.
So - pricing 3.5 gallons of S-UDT2 and an oil filter and a hydraulic filter was my goal to see what would be the cheapest route to buy.

Messick's has it all - and rather cheap! Coleman's prices are almost to the penny the same as Messicks. Here is one twist - Messicks cost of shipping based on my VA address was about 6 bucks higher than Coleman's - Despite the cheaper shipping cost from Coleman's - they force you to but a large quantity of the oil - for example, you cannot buy just ONE container of 2.5 gal S-UDT2 - need to buy two.....and if you want to buy ONE gallon - you have to buy 3! But all that being what it was........

If I had bought what I needed at Messicks - cost would have been appox - $118.50 with SHIPPING and no tax........

Happened to go past the dealer (40 minutes away) on the way to a soccer match last night, it was 5:45 and I knew they would be closed, gate was still open and no one was around.....looking inside throw the locked door and waved to the lady inside......after looking at all the new orange stuff outside she came out and asked me if she could help! SO I asked if she had time to ring me up on some oil .......

so - total cost for the oil and filters that were marked up about 15% higher than Messisks and Colemans, the total bill with tax came to about $116.35.

Despite that 15% increase - the materials were cheaper to get locally - now had the shipping been lower ($23.50 from Messicks).........well .....

- we all know the story of shipping costs!;)

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Hokie, you have noted what I have as well. Buying fluids, in bulk, from a dealer are almost always the cheapest way to go (for OEM fluids).

The gallons are pricy, 2.5 gal get cheaper per gallon and 5 gal get even cheaper per gallon. The price for a 5 gal is usually the same price as 4 individual gallons....so you get a gallon for "free" in bulk.

Parts on the other hand are almost always cheaper thru Messicks/Coleman even with shipping and tax. The exception is anything that weighs a lot....I just bought a rim for my L3710 and it was cheaper thru the dealer than going online....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Guess I have the best of both worlds.

Have one dealer 20 miles away, another 60 miles away, then Coleman 35 miles away. And Coleman has 3 stores in the Kan. City area. Coleman is bound to have it in one of the stores and they get it to the nearest store by 10AM the next day.

28 miles from Coleman's is this warehouse in Edgerton, Ks. They pretty much have it!!

https://www.kubota.com/news/KubotaNews.aspx?pid=News-08112015

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Goes to show, my grandfather's philosophy of life always works. He said, son, there are always people in life who are gonna screw you. So you better pick the closest (doctor,lawyer, dentist, accountant, tractor dealer) and save the travel time or shipping charges...:D:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
With a BX, I don't need the quantities of fluids, or sizes of filters of you bigger guys.

My local dealer is just 2 miles from work, 15 minutes from home Saturdays, and very small.

Comparing to Messick and Coleman, he's on-par with both, and I'm OTD with it in my hand. That doesn't include shipping, either if I remember right.

Parts, however, I have seen some differences on occasion.

But, I don't buy stuff on-line much...so I'm apt to buy it local, even if for a premium, because it also helps keep my local guy "local."

MessickFarmEqu

Apr 16, 2010
PA
Messick's has it all - and rather cheap! Coleman's prices are almost to the penny the same as Messicks. Here is one twist - Messicks cost of shipping based on my VA address was about 6 bucks higher than Coleman's - Despite the cheaper shipping cost from Coleman's - they force you to but a large quantity of the oil - for example, you cannot buy just ONE container of 2.5 gal S-UDT2 - need to buy two.....and if you want to buy ONE gallon - you have to buy 3! But all that being what it was........
quote note on freight.

There is no way to ship fluids cheap. They are just heavy. However if our website ever gives you a non-sense shipping price, call. The website has to do a lot of guess work since we have 4 million part numbers in the system, many of which do not have weights.