Anybody versed in Chevrolet trucks?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Just google the GM part number 12475489
Thank you! A much better price, plus it shows the schematic of the other related parts to the ABS hydraulic unit.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Hopefully thats what you need and someone has it in stock. They all looked like they had it stocked.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The shop has gotten another used one in, so the plan at this point is to see if that one will function properly. If not, we will look at a new one. I have two friends with trucks in the same era, so this information is going to be stored away for their needs- I sure do hope they don't have these brake problems.

My brother has a 2000 Ford Ranger, and he was experiencing a weird noise in the back brakes. The brake adjuster cable had corroded and broken. The plan was to install new hardware on both sides, but that has now turned into a leaking wheel cylinder (the other side), and brake lines that crumble when you look at them. So much for a simple job. What got me- when I told him about the wheel cylinder, he says "So, that's where all my brake fluid was going!". Really? You have a faint noise, but you don't bring up a huge leak? The cylinder is leaking so bad, it is gravity draining and emptying the reservoir, just sitting there on jack stands. What a mess.
At least his ABS still functions.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Guy brought his truck to shop with brake troubles,boss told me to take it for a test drive, didnt get 100 feet and i knew something was seriously wrong. I was really upset with my employer sending me out in something that was clearly dangerous. Pulled rear wheels and right rear had nothing left. No hardware, no cups in wheel cylinders no anchor pin.

Perfectly destroyed. Big cost to fix what customer called a little noise.

Poor brakes almost important as front end falling apart.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Guy brought his truck to shop with brake troubles,boss told me to take it for a test drive, didnt get 100 feet and i knew something was seriously wrong. I was really upset with my employer sending me out in something that was clearly dangerous. Pulled rear wheels and right rear had nothing left. No hardware, no cups in wheel cylinders no anchor pin.

Perfectly destroyed. Big cost to fix what customer called a little noise.

Poor brakes almost important as front end falling apart.
That's what frustrated me. On the superficial level, he should have told me about that- I would have weighed whether I had the time to get involved in the repair. It's my brother, but taking care of his isn't my only priority, or my highest- I have a lot of responsibilities to others. On a deeper level, it was very dangerous. He was losing brake fluid fast enough that he could have easily hit the brakes, and had a dry reservoir. There is no responsible, mature reason to put a truck on the road in that condition. Plus, the drum and shoes were thick with a brake fluid/brake dust sludge that meant that wheel was doing no braking.