Tool Boxes

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was in Lowes yesterday,, and HULLY DAWGSHYT they have one sitting there with a sound system built in to it i wish I had in my truck

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was in Lowes yesterday,, and HULLY DAWGSHYT they have one sitting there with a sound system built in to it i wish I had in my truck
It's got a built in mini fridge also :p:D:D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I'd appreciate any and all ideas for bench and storage shelves, boxes, tool containers. Starting to move into my new pole barn addition and some how a cardboard box on the floor won't do it. Cheap would be good...
Was going to check out Surplus and Salvage at the U, sometimes you can repurpose counters if they are close to the right size.
Looks like your question got overlooked in the excitement of new red boxes, or sound systems, or places where your beer will stay cold when you hafta keep it outta sight. Your idea of the surplus outlet is great -- and not just counters; cabinets too.

However, I believe this is the time for you to ramp up your carpentry skills. Grab some 2x4 and maybe a 2x6 or so, and one or two sheets of 3/4" MDF and build benches up to 8' long (length to suit your needs and available wall space) and 24" deep. The bottom shelf about 13" off the floor, and the top at about the top of your hip. If you expect a lot of weight to be put on it, then make the legs out of a 2x6, otherwise a 2x4 should be fine. A 2x4 (on edge) under the back edge of each shelf, and one on edge across the front of the legs.

If your bench will be a workbench, then set the front legs back 4" from the front (which will make your bottom shelf 4" shallower) and lay a 2x4 under the front edge of the bench, then a second 2x4 on edge under the lazy 2x4. Run "stringer" 2x4s front-to-back, dividing up the top, maybe 16 to 22 inches apart. Use drywall screws to screw the MDF down, and you'll have a very stout, stable bench. (Screws let you easily replace the top, so you won't be as leery about banging up the top.)

Hey, yer a former, not a mekanik, yew doan need alla dem fansey ra-id boxes! Yew wanna mek hit yersalif

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I'd appreciate any and all ideas for bench and storage shelves, boxes, tool containers. Starting to move into my new pole barn addition and some how a cardboard box on the floor won't do it. Cheap would be good. Don't want it to turn into the jumbled mess as in the shed next to it. Was looking at Lowe's and even the flimsy stuff is kind of expensive. Was going to check out Surplus and Salvage at the U, sometimes you can repurpose counters if they are close to the right size.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T1BRE?keywords=workbench&qid=1446962290&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

went with this kit for one of my workbenches when i couldnt find one premade the size I wanted. Woodworking skills is my worst set of skills so I didn't do one from scratch. I'm great at HVAC, electric,welding, plumbing but seem to suck very much in anything to do with wood. So kit made it a bit easier for me.Lots of people have all kinds of different designs with this kit. I didnt need top shelves so I made one long double bench on the side of my workbench for more storage. The workbench I made 8' and as wide as I could get with a backsplash so stuff didn't fall behind it.

I needed taller stuff on the bottom shelf, so I made the middle shelf half as wide.

Excuse the mess, I'm in the middle of a 50 hour service on my kubota and installing a bunch of other crap on it, so my garage is a disaster right now.

Attachments

Bobsfixit

Equipment
bx2350
Jun 13, 2015
Carmel NY
Check Your local Craigslist some times good bargins can Be found also look for people remodeling a Kitchen for used cabinets, Make great storage and keeps everything outa sight!!
Made My workbench at standing height to ease in comfort while standing at, constructed it from 1 1/2in angle Iron and topped with 12ga aluminum sheet also a Hot bench when welding and cleans when grease or oil is present

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It fits in the garage!! Great thing.

Forceten - really like your setup! Unfortunately, I need to seasonally have 5 or 6 tons of wood pellets in the garage, too. Makes things a little tight for a while.

I also have a Harley-Davidson in there, and its gotta go!!:eek:

Attachments

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey

Forceten - really like your setup! Unfortunately, I need to seasonally have 5 or 6 tons of wood pellets in the garage, too. Makes things a little tight for a while.

Oh I'm jam packed to be sure.I had three motorcycles and a lift table along with an atv.Once I got the kubota to replace my little ford tractor that made me have to sell some stuff off. Down to one bike and she lives on top of the lift table or else she wouldnt fit. I should almost sell the lift table to make more room, but its so nice to work on a bike/mower/atv up in the air compared to on the ground. In my next life I need a three car garage or a nice big heated pole barn!! so many things I could do with that much room.....

but I'm sure I would fill it up too and before ya know it jam packed again.

If I didnt have a full basement no way would I be able to have so much in my garage. I keep my salt and other stuff in the basement.

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
A Harley Is not an "or" thing it is a "and" thing!

I am currently trying to sell my Ford 8N cause my wife says I have to many tractors. I'm asking a lot for it?

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Shaun, forceten, Thanks for the bench suggestions, I like the idea of trying to build some for two reasons, one I have saved for 35 years any and all pieces of wood that look like they might be used for something, and anything to reduce the stash in the shed and in the loft of the hay barn would be good. Second the spaces between the poles in the new pole barn are not even, so custom designed would be good. A backsplash to keep stuff from dropping down is also a good idea. That kit with flexible dimensions might get the carpentry down to my level. I'm also trying to figure out how to use some of the rough sawn ash stickered for the last 8 years. It was going to be paneling for the walls in the basement, but I'm losing hope on that project. Not to mention the oak for flooring. Heck I could be the only one in town with a black walnut workbench. :D The key feature for a top just has to be able to hold a vice. And not sag too much.

I do like those shiny red boxes on wheels though...I think a little one like RCW's would be nice. Something like that one, 26" is on sale at Sears for $99,, and I have yet to check out the Sears surplus center. And then there are the black
Friday deals at Home Depot. Not sure I could bring myself to go into a store on black Friday, but maybe. Thanks all!

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey

To give you some ideas for your new toolboxes, utilize the most from your space. Mine is still a work in progress. I just never seem to get the time to sit down for a day and organize it better. But it works -

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
forceten - very nice - thanks for pics and ideas!!

Much appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Great :mad:now I got something else to get for my tool box :p:p:p

Where did you get the organizers for the pliers?
I love my tools - but DAYUM - I could never be that organized!:D :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I love my tools - but DAYUM - I could never be that organized!:D :)

I know, right!!!! :eek:

Here's my plier drawer. Now don't judge :p

Sockets are better :D

Rcw, here's the promised pick of the homedepot bottom box and tractor supply upper box. Both are 46"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Forceten,its obvious that you may be a little meticulous. Please dont be offended, but nobody has a toolbox that organized.
How do you get anything done when you can find all your tools?

I cleaned up one corner of shop today, now i have to do rest of shop.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not a surprise, but tool re-organizing is a trip down memory lane.

My socket drawer WILL always have one set that will stay in its original box.

My Grandfather's S-K 1/2" drive set. He was born 1911, and passed away in 1988. I was named after him.

That set looks the same as it did when I was 5. It went through many battles on the farm, and I use it often. :cool:

Also took his Estwing leather-handled rip hammer off the garage wall. I remember driving fence staples with him and that hammer. :cool:

I'll find a place in the new box for it.:)

A lot of stuff needs a wipe-down with WD-40. Just trying to get stuff dry-fit in its new home.:cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Rcw, you'll probably get your tools in there, think that's how you like it. And then have to reorganize again after you start using it. :p I've had to go through mine a few different times now. Course as I get more stuff, then I gotta figure out how to get it to fit :rolleyes::D

My tool box is organized chaos :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Rcw, you'll probably get your tools in there, think that's how you like it. And then have to reorganize again after you start using it. :p
Daren - thanks - that's what I was thinking.

Gonna try some magnetic tape I can write on. That way, I can move the labels around!!:p:p

I'm already thinking the tall cabinet might be in the works for other side - opposite the side box. Will still keep a work surface, and have a place for bigger light stuff, like cordless tools and nail guns, etc. in boxes.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - thanks - that's what I was thinking.

Gonna try some magnetic tape I can write on. That way, I can move the labels around!!:p:p

I'm already thinking the tall cabinet might be in the works for other side - opposite the side box. Will still keep a work surface, and have a place for bigger light stuff, like cordless tools and nail guns, etc. in boxes.
I had to label mine for work :rolleyes: This darn efficiency thing they got going on. They had to label a spot on the floor for my toolbox and one for my mini fridge :rolleyes: Even though they have been in the same spot since we moved in :rolleyes: Same thing with the shop tools that are bolted to the floor :rolleyes: It's not like they are gonna be moved :confused: