Quick Attach snow plow problems

Lonewolf35

Equipment
Kubota L5240 HST
Jan 26, 2015
Pittsburgh
I just start using my new quick attach snow plow mounted on my L5240. This is the first significant snow we got in western PA. I cannot get enough traction from the front tires. I have a quick hitch with a weight bracket adding 700#. I would assume I should drop the plow on float, but it seems to take weight off the front end. I bought this tractor in July. There has to be a better way or something I'm doing is wrong. Any help would be great.

Last edited:

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I just start using my new quick attach snow plow mounted on my L5240. This is the first significant snow we got in western PA. I cannot get enough traction from the front tires. I have a quick hitch with a weight bracket adding 700#. I would assume I should drop the plow on float, but it seems to take weight off the front end. I bought this tractor in July. There has to be a better way or something I'm doing is wrong. Any help would be great.
I have the same problem miniature size compared to your setup, but mine has to do with too much weight from my snowblower on the rear. In your case, I wouldn't think that 700 lbs is too much weight.... :confused: someone else could better answer that.

I don't use the float position for that reason and just always keep some weight bearing on the front tires. I like plowing in 2wd so all I have to do is look at the front tires.... If they aren't spinning no traction.... If they are spinning you have some traction..... I Only use 4wd for pushing up an incline.

But I'm plowing a flat concrete driveway so I don't need much traction and it easy to keep the blade at the perfect position. Dirt driveways with hills...etc...just need some seat time feeling out the controls, it helped me :D

Have you tried using it without the weight on the back? Are your rear tires loaded? If they aren't...it would be worth wile and may be enough not to use weight on the 3pt. Made a world of a difference on my little tractor.

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum.

Lonewolf35

Equipment
Kubota L5240 HST
Jan 26, 2015
Pittsburgh
I have the same problem miniature size compared to your setup, but mine has to do with too much weight from my snowblower on the rear. In your case, I wouldn't think that 700 lbs is too much weight.... :confused: someone else could better answer that.

I don't use the float position for that reason and just always keep some weight bearing on the front tires. I like plowing in 2wd so all I have to do is look at the front tires.... If they aren't spinning no traction.... If they are spinning you have some traction..... I Only use 4wd for pushing up an incline.

But I'm plowing a flat concrete driveway so I don't need much traction and it easy to keep the blade at the perfect position. Dirt driveways with hills...etc...just need some seat time feeling out the controls, it helped me :D

Have you tried using it without the weight on the back? Are your rear tires loaded? If they aren't...it would be worth wile and may be enough not to use weight on the 3pt. Made a world of a difference on my little tractor.
I was thinking about ballast in the rear tires. I thought I read somewhere not to put ballast in the front tires. It would be nice to get more weight up front. I like the idea of the beet juice, but my local tire guy didn't recommend it this time of year because of how thick it gets in the cold. He said rv antifreeze was safe for the rims and animals/plants? I am surprised how easy I am spinning and sliding sideways. Thank You for reply OldeEnglish

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was thinking about ballast in the rear tires. I thought I read somewhere not to put ballast in the front tires. It would be nice to get more weight up front. I like the idea of the beet juice, but my local tire guy didn't recommend it this time of year because of how thick it gets in the cold. He said rv antifreeze was safe for the rims and animals/plants? I am surprised how easy I am spinning and sliding sideways. Thank You for reply OldeEnglish
Let me take a guess, R4 (industrial) tires?
If so your best bet for traction is Chains.
R4's have too large of tread to "bite" into snow and Ice.

Lonewolf35

Equipment
Kubota L5240 HST
Jan 26, 2015
Pittsburgh
Let me take a guess, R4 (industrial) tires?
If so your best bet for traction is Chains.
R4's have too large of tread to "bite" into snow and Ice.
Yes, R4 tires. I thought R4 would have been aggressive grip tires. I thought wrong. It is actually embarrassing how little traction I get. Can I deflate the tires some to get more surface area?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I can understand your frustration, never had much luck with them on a small JCB fork lift.... Like Wolfman said chains will solve that problem.

I was curious why your front tires were lifting while in the float position..... That a big rig and I wouldn't think 700 lbs would be too much counterweight :confused:

Had that problem with the b2910 when we had the back hoe on. Once we took the hoe off, didn't have that problem anymore. That has turfs loaded rears with calcium and only slip going uphill pushing a load. Same with my 7100, when I took the blower off the float didn't lift the front. I need it so it stays on....

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Yes, R4 tires. I thought R4 would have been aggressive grip tires. I thought wrong. It is actually embarrassing how little traction I get. Can I deflate the tires some to get more surface area?
Works for brady, don't it??? Just have someone else do the deflating...:D:D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly deflating won't do much for your traction, it will just make the tractor unstable.:eek:
It's the wide tread pattern that's killing you, now if you take a grinder and cut some parallel groves that would help you, but that's a lot of work and a Pain! :rolleyes:

loading the tires with rim guard will help a lot, and rim guard turning to slush is not an issue, I think your tire guy is blowing smoke.

Turf tires work well, R1 tires work well, R3's work well, or as I said get a set of chains, I know again a PITA.

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
I had Rim Guard put into tires at initial service. Adds stability to tractor when using the fel, rated down to -35F. Freezing should be a none issue...
Have a 7 ft snow plow on fel.
In 4 wheel drive it works great. Do have R1 tires.
I have a gravel drive so have been plowing with blade 1-2 " off ground. If I float blade (even with 2" pipe on cutting blade) it will push gravel. Drive has not froze up yet...
Have not had much snow yet in this part of MI. Actually hoping for a good storm or two before winter is over!!!
My guess is that if front tires are spinning the fel isn't floating and is lifting the front tires off ground.
Good luck and have fun with it.

martyf

Equipment
BX1870
Jan 27, 2015
Bucks County, PA
I have a teeny BX1870 with the quick attach snow plow, and when you float it, indeed, it can cause the front wheels to lift, especially pushing up hill. I just leave it in lock and kind of adjust by feel when that happens. Pushed out a bit of snow this week at my place and a neighbors and it worked really well.

Lonewolf35

Equipment
Kubota L5240 HST
Jan 26, 2015
Pittsburgh
Sadly deflating won't do much for your traction, it will just make the tractor unstable.:eek:
It's the wide tread pattern that's killing you, now if you take a grinder and cut some parallel groves that would help you, but that's a lot of work and a Pain! :rolleyes:

loading the tires with rim guard will help a lot, and rim guard turning to slush is not an issue, I think your tire guy is blowing smoke.

Turf tires work well, R1 tires work well, R3's work well, or as I said get a set of chains, I know again a PITA.
I just ordered a set of chains for the front. I am going to get rim guard in the rear at some point. Chains are kinda pricey. $600-700 for chains for the rear, I will wait to see how the front works first.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I just ordered a set of chains for the front. I am going to get rim guard in the rear at some point. Chains are kinda pricey. $600-700 for chains for the rear, I will wait to see how the front works first.

Just wondering how this set up went for you. I have a L3540 that I push snow with on asphalt. Chains are not an option as it would tear up the ground. I siped my tired myself with a tire "GROOVER" for $60 off EBAY. HUGE improvement. I have R4's that are loaded.

I should be getting a L5240 if the paperwork goes through today. I will be siping these tires before winter for sure!!!!

I can only assume the dealer was saying the rimguard is slushy for the install process when cold. Therefor putting the fluid into the tire may be difficult. Now if the dealer does this inside where the rimguard stays warm it won't be an issue. After the ringside is in the tire, it doesn't really matter how cold it gets.

jimjoe

Equipment
b2601
Apr 21, 2015
brimfield
i bought a bunch of carbide screw in studs for the tires and a quick attach 6 foot blade, hope it works on the icy dirt driveway. looked at chains but was scared off with the problems i read about that they can cause trouble with the four wheel drive,and the clearance with bh frame