No Power (Electric)

flyingcircleg

Equipment
L3430
May 28, 2014
Placerville, CA
So was running my new to me L3430 HST, on the backhoe, hopped on the seat to reposition the tractor, go to move and tractor completely dies. No power at all, turn the key off and on, no dash lights, almost like somebody pulled the battery out of it, no cranking, no nothing. Tested all the fuses in the fuse block by the clutch pedal, and the bigger ones by the front of the radiator, everything checked out. Checked the voltage to the starter and its getting a little over 12, so everything is getting power. Not sure where to go from here... :confused: Is there another fuse block or breaker that Im unaware of? I even tried disconnecting the battery hoping something would reset and re-connected and nothing...

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm thinking your problem might have something to do with seat switch, HST switch, PTO switch or some other switch combination. ;)

flyingcircleg

Equipment
L3430
May 28, 2014
Placerville, CA
I'm thinking your problem might have something to do with seat switch, HST switch, PTO switch or some other switch combination. ;)
Theres a HST switch? Or do you mean the pedal?

I didnt touch the PTO switch, the seat switch, I can normally start the tractor and get out of the seat, or turn the key and at least see the display on the dash...

As it is now, I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I love electrical! :D
Several of us can help you get through it. ;)

#1 Pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested, a shorted cell in a battery can cause a lot of problems.

That fact that it's getting power to the starter, but no power to the dash makes me think main fuse, or maybe a ground connection problem.

When you checked fuses, did you look for power on the fuse?
I'm thinking the 50amp should be a main.

Another possibility is that it has lost the ground connection, look at the yellow spot and check the ground connection. :)

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I also enjoy working with low voltage electrical systems. As pointed out, the battery ground is a common overlooked problem. Remove, inspect and clean.
It seems odd it stopped and is dead as you describe. Unless battery outright failed from an internal short - over 12 volts tells me no short.

Voltage test with key on? At starter as earlier tested. Still 12 plus volts?

flyingcircleg

Equipment
L3430
May 28, 2014
Placerville, CA
So got it figured out. Tested the fuse block (the one by the radiator), no power. Followed the wires out of it, and found a black plastic connector not connected to anything, then noticed a metal tank attached to the battery terminal... Re-attached, and powered right up. Doh! Glad it was something simple. Thanks for the help.