Bent front wheel

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Anyone know where I can buy a 12 X 5 JA wheel for the front of my Kubota ?

Mine is bent. I put it in a lathe, and it looks like it has around an inch or more runout. I'm going to try straightening it with a hydraulic press, but I think it's toast. It's bent on the outsde hub area, about half way around.

I had foam filled R1's on the front. The one on this wheel had a bad split, from previous owner. I thought (hoped) it was just the tire, but not so. I made a simple hub / shaft, stuck the assembly in a lathe, and the wheel has one heck of a wobble to it.

Been watching e-bay, but no match yet. Someone has to have one of these old wheels laying around somewhere.:)

Attachments

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Go to ebay type in search block 390148058873 that may be it let me know. You also can type in 12x5 wheel it is described for kubota kiota etc. good luck handy

Randyj

Equipment
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Handy,
Thanks, but I need a matching wheel. I prefer to have a matching set.:)

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
The add says he has 10 if thats the ones you need they are 34.95 plus 16.61 shipping .with a in depth description and a phone number. Enough on that they may not work for you.Good luck handy

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
The add says he has 10 if thats the ones you need they are 34.95 plus 16.61 shipping .with a in depth description and a phone number. Enough on that they may not work for you.Good luck handy
Handy to the rescue again :D

Randy, I'm just wondering, but do you know what happened to the tractor to cause the wheel to bend an inch?
I'm thinking that if something caused a steel wheel to bend that much then there must have been damage to the tractor as well.
Or maybe that wheel wasn't on the tractor when it was bent and came off another machine.

Scott

Last edited:

Randyj

Equipment
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
The wheel was already bent when I purchased the tractor. The front tires were foam filled, and this wheel's tire (AG) was split, almost bead to bead. I think the split and the bend in the wheel happined at the same time.

The tractor works fine, even with this issue. However, I'm replacing all the rubber, and would like to have a straight wheel. I'm watching e-bay. Have been.
I spotted those wheels, and thank you, for mentioning them. I prefer the original style, like what I have.

I haven't had the time lately, but I plan on (maybe today) trying to straighten this thing in a hydraulic press.:)

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
The wheel was already bent when I purchased the tractor. The front tires were foam filled, and this wheel's tire (AG) was split, almost bead to bead. I think the split and the bend in the wheel happined at the same time.

The tractor works fine, even with this issue. However, I'm replacing all the rubber, and would like to have a straight wheel. I'm watching e-bay. Have been.
I spotted those wheels, and thank you, for mentioning them. I prefer the original style, like what I have.

I haven't had the time lately, but I plan on (maybe today) trying to straighten this thing in a hydraulic press.:)
Randy,
Thanks for the update. You are a fortunate person to have the tooling to straighten a wheel. That's pretty cool and I hope it works.

Scott

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Randyj,

I've been watching your thread on the bent wheel and thought I'd comment. I have a trailer (6'X4') with 1950's Ford wheels. About 30 years ago when I lived in Mississippi, I wanted to get the tires balanced, but one wheel was bent as you described and couldn't be balanced as it was. The old gentleman that was working on it for me offered to straighten it. I told him to go ahead because I had no idea where to find a wheel to match it. He proceeded to take a large sledge hammer and work that wheel over. When he finished, it was as true as any of the others. He would turn it over on the balance machine, find where it was out, take it off, lay it on the concrete, and hit it on the back side. He didn't charge me a thing, just the price of balancing the tire. I still have the trailer and have probably put 4 or 5 sets of tires on it since. It is still good! Hope this helps!

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Randyj,

I've been watching your thread on the bent wheel and thought I'd comment. I have a trailer (6'X4') with 1950's Ford wheels. About 30 years ago when I lived in Mississippi, I wanted to get the tires balanced, but one wheel was bent as you described and couldn't be balanced as it was. The old gentleman that was working on it for me offered to straighten it. I told him to go ahead because I had no idea where to find a wheel to match it. He proceeded to take a large sledge hammer and work that wheel over. When he finished, it was as true as any of the others. He would turn it over on the balance machine, find where it was out, take it off, lay it on the concrete, and hit it on the back side. He didn't charge me a thing, just the price of balancing the tire. I still have the trailer and have probably put 4 or 5 sets of tires on it since. It is still good! Hope this helps!
Now that's a very nice story. I'd have to say you'd be hard pressed to find a tire and wheel shop these days that has somebody with that skil. And then didn't even charge! Amazing.

Scott

Randyj

Equipment
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well, I'm sorry to say that my wheel is beyond repair. I tried. I spent a lot of time with the hydraulic press, and lathe. I gave up today after spending some more time working on it, and threw it in the scrap hopper.

Back to square one.:(

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Well, I'm sorry to say that my wheel is beyond repair. I tried. I spent a lot of time with the hydraulic press, and lathe. I gave up today after spending some more time working on it, and threw it in the scrap hopper.

Back to square one.:(
Randy,
I'm sorry to hear the bad news as I know you put a lot of effort into it.
If you couldn't get it straight with the press and lathe then there was no hope anyway. But you tried and that is all that matters.

Scott