Plugging in your tractor

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
At what temperature in cold weather should a tractor be plugged in for safe easy starting.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I keep mine in a temporary shelter for winter, so its out of the wind. Usually plug it in for an hour if its -10 or below. Just remember to let everything warm up before you start working it.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I keep mine in the garage so I'll plug in if it's under 10-F, go back in, have a cup of coffee then move snow.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
At what temperature in cold weather should a tractor be plugged in for safe easy starting.
I plug mine in when it get below 40°F. It starts easier and warms up faster saving wear and tear on the engine and the battery. Two hours is enough.

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I keep mine in the garage so I'll plug in if it's under 10-F, go back in, have a cup of coffee then move snow.
On the advice of fellow forum members I got a remote receptacle set up. In winter I plug it in all the time and when I get up I hit the remote control and then have my coffee without having to gear up. Less than $50.

Recepticle:
https://www.amazon.com/SkylinkHome-...pID=21gRQ5VYpxL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Controller:
https://www.amazon.com/SkylinkHome-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=80D93ABA7JM9TXSAY5GH

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It depends on the vintage of the tractor, Older needs to be earlier. ;)

I don't bother plugging in until it in the 20's F , otherwise they start fine every day. ;)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I plug in around -10°C (~15°F). With the convection cooling system on the B7100, it doesn't take long to warm it up sufficiently, maybe an hour or two.

That said, the block heater doesn't warm the hydraulic fluid. It's a good idea to let the tractor idle for a while to circulate the fluid and warm it up a bit before working things. A couple of really cold (-30 or -40) days I slapped a magnetic oil pan heater on the transmission for a while before starting. I think it helped.

I also have a battery blanket to warm the battery on those days. Not only does a fairly small battery have to crank over a diesel engine, it also has to pre-heat the glow plugs for a minute first. That's a lot to ask of a cold battery.

Finally, I have a 'water worm' in the fuel tank to absorb any moisture from condensation before it can freeze up the fuel line or filter.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
It depends on the vintage of the tractor, Older needs to be earlier. ;)

I don't bother plugging in until it in the 20's F , otherwise they start fine every day. ;)
What the Wolfman said. My 50+ year old John Deere 2020 diesel needs to be plugged in if the thermometer falls below 50 degrees. My 2016 Kubota M7060HDC12 fires up just fine at 20 degrees. If the tractor is gasoline powered starting should be no problem as long as the battery has the power to turn it over.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The newer machines seem to start significantly easier in cold temps compared to just 10-15 years ago. I’m still a fan of block heaters and dutifully installed one in my L4060. I generally set a timer to turn it on 2-3 hours before starting when the temps are in the 20’s or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll second Torch's comments. If I have the luxury of time I'll plug the tractors in before starting at temps below freezing. Below -10C no attempt to start is made without preheating. I've discovered that a kerosene or propane salamander-style heater aimed from the front of the tractor rearwards helps warming the engine and transmission, if that's all that's available.

Once running the machine gets to run for a bit to warm up. The hydraulic fluid really does take a bit of time to take on some heat and flow nicely.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
To amplify what NIW, rjcorazza and others have said, it depends on how new, and maybe other engine features. I have 2 fairly new tractors and two different dealers recommended against installing block heaters in them. B2650 and L3560 (common rail). The L tractor has a display that shows when the glow plugs are being activated and to wait before cranking. The glow plug symbol doesn't even come on until about 16F. Other threads have discussed complications when a sensor thinks the whole system is warm but only the radiator is, for example. So ordinary Michigan temps don't seem to require any special heating, not that they might not appreciate it.. But an L2501 in northern Canada is another breed of cat. The best answer would come from another 2501 owner in your neighborhood.

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I'll second Torch's comments. If I have the luxury of time I'll plug the tractors in before starting at temps below freezing. Below -10C no attempt to start is made without preheating. I've discovered that a kerosene or propane salamander-style heater aimed from the front of the tractor rearwards helps warming the engine and transmission, if that's all that's available.

Once running the machine gets to run for a bit to warm up. The hydraulic fluid really does take a bit of time to take on some heat and flow nicely.

An often overlooked aspect of winter use.
Hydraulic warm up is likely more important than preheating engines that are capable of starting in cold weather. I like to get plowing early, so I have also used a radiant heater on the transmission case.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
" I have 2 fairly new tractors and two different dealers recommended against installing block heaters "

I would be interested in their thinking on not installing heaters. I did not even ask for mine, the dealer installed it as a normal setup and I am sure our winters are similar to your's. Just curious. I did not plug mine in one day when it was cold and when I started it I could really tell the difference, did not like the way it sounded at all.

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
It always amazes me how much quicker and easier my BX starts on a cold day, no turning for 10 seconds and big black puff of smoke. I have it stored in an un-heated shed and have the block heater connected to a wifi controlled AC switch. These things are crazy cheap on ebay ($10). You just turn on/off the block heater using your smart phone anytime you like. You can even program on/off times for that early morning cleanup.

Cheers

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
It always amazes me how much quicker and easier my BX starts on a cold day, no turning for 10 seconds and big black puff of smoke. I have it stored in an un-heated shed and have the block heater connected to a wifi controlled AC switch. These things are crazy cheap on ebay ($10). You just turn on/off the block heater using your smart phone anytime you like. You can even program on/off times for that early morning cleanup.

Cheers
Can you give more details on what block heater you use so I can google it. Never had a diesel before so I am clueless.
Jeff

rjcorazza

Equipment
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Personally, I would just get the Kubota block heater... they are somewhat competitively priced. Your BX may take a 3/4” threaded heater, but I loose track of which ones use that or a 25mm freeze plug type. Both of my L’s took the freeze plug type.

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
I guess it comes down to how much are you willing to spend?

I have always kept my B2710 sheltered in either a canvas type car port or now a steel framed structure with a heavy weight vinyl roll up front door.

I have had two problems in the cold up here in NH, one was the diesel fuel jelled and the second was the battery would turn over the engine but not with enough juice to start it.

I solved the frozen fuel with the additives suggested in this forum (cannot thank these member enough for their knowledge), and the weak battery issue I solved with a smart trickle charger for about $30. This charger will charge with a low amperage if the batter is low and monitor the battery if it is charged. I know the battery is ready to go when the light is green... :D

When I have to put a jacket on to go outside, I plug in the trickle charger for my Kubota. Have never had a starting problem since.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
" I have 2 fairly new tractors and two different dealers recommended against installing block heaters "

I would be interested in their thinking on not installing heaters. I did not even ask for mine, the dealer installed it as a normal setup and I am sure our winters are similar to your's. Just curious. I did not plug mine in one day when it was cold and when I started it I could really tell the difference, did not like the way it sounded at all.
First dealer said I wouldn't need it, and I think the second mentioned leaks. Seemed odd that they'd miss a chance to make more money, but maybe they are an agravation to install. I have not had occasion to start mine below about 10 F, and no problems. I think you are likely colder. We get subzero weather, but I avoid lengthy times out side. I do put trickle chargers on the batteries.