Plugging in your tractor

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I leave mine plugged in below 40 and use a Wemo smart outlet, I set the time for it to come on a couples hours each morning, I can also remotely from phone app turn it on any time I want.
I have another one on the block heater for my diesel generator set to turn on a couple times a day.

Wemo.jpg

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I plugged my M in this morn at 3*f. Left it for two hrs.
When I started it, the GP light never came on and the tractor fired right up as it usually does.
The temp gauge was still bottomed and it took at least 20-30 mins of idling and slow running to get any appreciable heat in the cab.
Thankfully it does warm up enough to operate gloveless.
Cleaned up the remaining loose snow on the driveway and parking areas and sanded the upper drive in anticipation of Thanksgiving guests.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Mine sits in unconditioned space. It has been down in the single digits at night a number of times thus far. I usually dont start it until around mid AM so that might make a difference. I treat the diesel, dont mess with a block heater. No issues thus far. I let it run at 1500 or so for 15-30 min before using it.

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Mine sits in unconditioned space. It has been down in the single digits at night a number of times thus far. I usually dont start it until around mid AM so that might make a difference. I treat the diesel, dont mess with a block heater. No issues thus far. I let it run at 1500 or so for 15-30 min before using it.

I think by saying “don’t mess with a block heater” that its kind of bad advice..

Do you NEED one? No.. should you have one when temps are below freezing or well below freezing? Yes.. also not many people want to wait 30 minutes for their motor to warm up properly and for it to stop vibrating so roughly and chugging so hard. This is exactly why a block heater will help you, just today for example it was 10 degrees F. Where I live, I touched my block and it was warm.. engine fired up with out any hesitation and ran nice and smooth after about 30 seconds not 30 minutes..

It will also save your engine from continuous cold starts. Cold start engine wear isn’t something that is going to make an immediate difference but years and years down the road from continued cold starts your engine will more than likely start to have loss of power and that sort of thing..

For guys who really care about their equipment, guys who just don’t have the time to wait until the sun comes up before starting their engine or have the time to wait for their engine to stop hesitating a block heater is a really great way to keep your engine happy.

I totally agree with you tho about treating your fuel.. I buy a quart at a time of anti-gel and it lasts a very long time.. i think 1oz treats 5 gallons if I remember correctly.

I’m not hating on you or anything, everyone has their own opinion; a block heater definitely isn’t for everyone but if you live in cold climates and want to protect your engine and keep it from starting hard/hesitating and long warm up times in below freezing temps then a block heater is MOST definitely for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Ya maybe I should pick one up. My engine really doesnt sound that bad when I cold start it, but anything I can do to keep it in great condition is a good thing.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
NoBiffBetter, I think your owner's manual will disagree with you if you are using your tractor after the engine has been running 30 seconds.

Your concern for cold start wear savings could be displaced by transmission problems if you don't let those fluids circulate to some degree of warmth before moving out.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Post #7...Thank You. Great idea. I didn't know this was available. Lots of days I have trucks coming to pick up or deliver and I want to plug my block heater in. I have to bundle up and go do it. I like this idea much better.
I just ordered mine.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
WFM, there's a thread on here somewhere that describes how one creative individual had the setup you ordered, and then had a light powered with the timer. Then you could set inside and see the light and know the unit was working!

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
First time tractor owner with a month old B2650 here. My dealer never even mentioned a block heater. I just guessed I didn't need it but here in NJ it's been around 15F at night the last two days. I didn't try to start my tractor as I was doing other work. But this topic has me thinking maybe I'm not prepared for winter.

1. Mixed reviews on whether you need a block heater, especially for newer tractors. Sounds like it's a good idea though to keep the tractor and fluids at a good temp to fire right up.

2. Gelling of fuel? New to me. Read about an additive, guessing I should be adding that ASAP.

Manual only mentions turning ignition to cycle glow plugs a couple times unless I missed other info on cold weather prep and maintenance. I'm new to tractors and diesel.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My tractor was bare bones no block heater. So I bought one from the Kubota dealer 15 miles away and drove my tractor to the local Mennonite garage and had him install it. I don't use it a lot but like yesterday it was -2* below here. I had a customer coming to pick up an order and needed to use my tractor. So plugged it in for 2-3 hrs. It started like it was July.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
My dealer said they don't install block heaters. When we went out to look at the tractors lined up they all had block heaters installed. I asked him about that and he said we did not put them on so they must be factory installed. In northern Mich I have only plugged mine in a couple of times but it does make a big difference

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I put in a OEM block heater on my 2650. Stored in an unheated shed, anytime the night time temp is below 35F I’ll plug it in for 2 hrs. The tractor sure likes it.
After spending big money on your tractor why not spend the $60 or so on a block heater?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Sure, these new diesels start real well in cold weather without pre heating, BUT I look at it as: do I want to get woke up by an airhorn alarm, or an alarm that softly starts playing music, gradually increasing in volume?! Both methods get me up, but one is much easier on me.

Unless one does not have electrical power to wherever the tractor is stored, I can't imagine not using one. My ears tells me the tractor is grateful! I have found as little as 30 minutes of pre heat makes a big difference, "sound wise" anywa, point being the cost in electricity is miniscule. The cost of the heater itself is also minor, and an hour's work to install. One doesn't have to garage a new car either, it will be just fine left outside, but the bang for the buck down the road makes me garage all my rigs. I don't kick my dog, (though he would still love me, maybe) and I don't do cold tractor starts if I can plug it in, it just ain't right!

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Ok so add a block heater and a battery tender. Anything else I might be missing for winter? My tractor is stored in covered but unconditioned space. I can run an electrical extension cord from my garage to it the plug things in.

Kinda disappointing my dealer never brought any of this up during the order phase knowing I'd be using it during the winter.

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
NoBiffBetter, I think your owner's manual will disagree with you if you are using your tractor after the engine has been running 30 seconds.

Your concern for cold start wear savings could be displaced by transmission problems if you don't let those fluids circulate to some degree of warmth before moving out.

I never once said the transmission was ok to run after 30 seconds. I’m saying the engine would be in theory “ready to work” in roughly 30 seconds with my block heater... my point being way less warm up time than NOT using a block heater.

Obviously warming up your transmission is important too.. Iv worked on many hydrostatic transmissions for ZTR’s and know exactly how they work. Yes you need to warm the fluid up before use.. cold fluid is thick and can cause premature pump wear or premature center-section failure.

The topic of this thread was about an engine block heater was it not??

It had nothing to do with transmissions or hydrostatic warm up time thus why Would i mention it or even feel I had to mention hydrostatic warm up times?

Why clutter the OP’s thread with different topics of information? I try to stay true to the OP when at all possible.

Thanks tho

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Sure, these new diesels start real well in cold weather without pre heating, BUT I look at it as: do I want to get woke up by an airhorn alarm, or an alarm that softly starts playing music, gradually increasing in volume?! Both methods get me up, but one is much easier on me.

Unless one does not have electrical power to wherever the tractor is stored, I can't imagine not using one. My ears tells me the tractor is grateful! I have found as little as 30 minutes of pre heat makes a big difference, "sound wise" anywa, point being the cost in electricity is miniscule. The cost of the heater itself is also minor, and an hour's work to install. One doesn't have to garage a new car either, it will be just fine left outside, but the bang for the buck down the road makes me garage all my rigs. I don't kick my dog, (though he would still love me, maybe) and I don't do cold tractor starts if I can plug it in, it just ain't right!

Exactly.. I think you explained this even better than I did. :) great Analogy!

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Ok so add a block heater and a battery tender. Anything else I might be missing for winter? My tractor is stored in covered but unconditioned space. I can run an electrical extension cord from my garage to it the plug things in.

Kinda disappointing my dealer never brought any of this up during the order phase knowing I'd be using it during the winter.

It also wouldn’t hurt to run some anti-gel treatment in your Diesel fuel but that’s up to you. I run it just to be safe plus it helps keep the fuel system and injectors clean and clear.

Other than that it sounds like you’ll be set.

Your engine will be happy and so will your battery for hopefully many years to come

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
It also wouldn’t hurt to run some anti-gel treatment in your Diesel fuel but that’s up to you. I run it just to be safe plus it helps keep the fuel system and injectors clean and clear.

Other than that it sounds like you’ll be set.

Your engine will be happy and so will your battery for hopefully many years to come

Thanks NBB! I'll add the anti gel too!

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I leave mine plugged in below 40 and use a Wemo smart outlet, I set the time for it to come on a couples hours each morning, I can also remotely from phone app turn it on any time I want.

I have another one on the block heater for my diesel generator set to turn on a couple times a day.

View attachment 39081

I saw this post and decided to try the Wemo outlets. I’m glad yours work, however I wasted 4 hours of my time trying unsuccessfully to set mine up. Some of the mfg “tech tips” were entertaining though!
Not looking for tech suggestions...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Sorry for the novice followup, but how does one warm up their transmission fluid? Just by idling the engine for a bit? Or do you guys have heaters for them too?