L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The tractor, The comparison, The modification, The results...

hotairgypsy

Equipment
l2501
May 11, 2024
albuqueque
Rdrcr...i have read everything and great info...I didnt read anywhere where your site is for ordering the kit...am I to assume it is the s2t site...i am new here so i have to ask the dumb questions...also I see one kit installed with the timing mod and you said there wasnt any gains at the time...did you ever figure that out because with the advance in timing you would think there would be greater gains over all

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Rdrcr...i have read everything and great info...I didnt read anywhere where your site is for ordering the kit...am I to assume it is the s2t site...i am new here so i have to ask the dumb questions...also I see one kit installed with the timing mod and you said there wasnt any gains at the time...did you ever figure that out because with the advance in timing you would think there would be greater gains over all
Thank you!
Yes, that is the correct place to place an order. ETA is currently 4-6 weeks.

We haven’t reached any definitive answer on the timing mod/Turbo combination. Additional testing on more tractors are needed.
However, what we believe is happening, is that by removing shims on the pump to increase the timing is also increasing travel on the fuel cam which is further increasing fuel volume per cycle and with 2 1/4 turns on the pump rack, it’s too much fuel, reducing performance. So, it is possible that a timing increase and less turns (say 1-2 turns) would produce more power than the factory timing with 2-2 1/4. That theory just hasn’t been confirmed or dismissed on a PTO dyno yet.

What we do know is that with the factory fuel timing, the Turbo Kit provides a significant boost in power and performance.

Mike

Hahnsolo

Equipment
B2650 Tractor, B2782B Snow Blower
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Hey Mike, I was browsing on YouTube the other night and came across these two videos of a guy tuning his L2501 for higher performance without a turbo. Don't know if you'd seen these or not, but they've got some great info. Check it out:

Solo

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Hey Mike, I was browsing on YouTube the other night and came across these two videos of a guy tuning his L2501 for higher performance without a turbo. Don't know if you'd seen these or not, but they've got some great info. Check it out:

Solo
Yes, absolutely!

We have been in contact and his videos are excellent. Very thorough and provide a TON of great information.

I used some of his data (along with several others) for comparisons earlier in this thread. We have a great community.

I’m just waiting for NetMagi’s request for a Turbo Kit ;)

Mike

• Love

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Ahh. . . I kinda figured you were on top of it.

While I did run my B2650 this past winter with the new turbo with good success, I just felt there was more power to be had. I now realize the importance of tuning and adjustment. I now have the custom gauge display completed and will start tuning this year. I’ll post the results on my page when available.

Solo

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Ahh. . . I kinda figured you were on top of it.

While I did run my B2650 this past winter with the new turbo with good success, I just felt there was more power to be had. I now realize the importance of tuning and adjustment. I now have the custom gauge display completed and will start tuning this year. I’ll post the results on my page when available.

Solo
Excellent! I’m sure that with the new gauge setup, close monitoring and some minor adjustments you’ll be producing more power.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Couple recent Turbo pics;

IMG_0791.jpeg

IMG_0790.jpeg

Mike

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

X-Pup

Equipment
L2501, 526 Loader W/QC LP RCF2060 Cutter, BB 1260-82, 3RD Function, top&Tilt
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
I'll take it! :)

Any Dynos yet with the updated pipes?

Also, I've been wondering how you calculated the increase in HP? My numbers come out much higher when I when use the same formula I use for figuring out my stock gains.

How much adjustment did you need on the waste gate plunger doohickey?

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Any idea of the current wait time?

Excited! :love:

X-Pup

Equipment
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
Looks like the EGT plug is in a different location?

Hahnsolo

Equipment
Mar 13, 2023
Rocky Mountains
That is an amazing piece of artwork Mike! It sure makes a difference using smaller diameter pipe coming out of the turbo. Mine is functional but not pretty. Making that sharp u-turn is a biotch.

Getting close to doing some tuning on my setup. Problem is, I don't have a good feel for where the fuel adjustment screw is on my engine (D1305) in a B2650. There is NOTHING on the internet. I might end up calling every dealer I can find to see if anybody can help me.

Keep up the good work!

Solo

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I'll take it! :)

Any Dynos yet with the updated pipes?

Also, I've been wondering how you calculated the increase in HP? My numbers come out much higher when I when use the same formula I use for figuring out my stock gains.

How much adjustment did you need on the waste gate plunger doohickey?

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Any idea of the current wait time?

Excited! :love:
I haven’t had the time to get my tractor back to the dyno but, a recent dyno with the new Turbo pipes matched my 35 PTO HP with 2 1/4 turns of fuel. If memory serves me correctly, that’s the 4th L2501 Turbo to match my L2501.

Yes. The HP/PTO HP is much higher than my estimated 45%.

The actuator/waste gate is set to 90%. We are shipping the Turbos with it already adjusted.

Current ETA is roughly 6 weeks. Lawrence is banging out SEMA projects which is causing a bit of a delay and we’re quickly approaching fall/winter and so Turbo orders are increasing.

You won’t be disappointed.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Looks like the EGT plug is in a different location?
Good eye.
Yes, Lawrence decided to move the EGT location…I’m not sure why, he didn’t ask. We have had one issue with probe interference with new location, while other guys had no issues whatsoever. He is either going to lower the EGT hole or return it to the original location for current/new Turbo Kits in production.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I am not sure what I am more impressed with.

The turbo work, or the cleanliness of that vice!!!!

Impressive on both counts!!!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
😂

Yes! I can tell you that the shop, the vise and the Turbo work are always that clean!

IMG_6868.jpeg

Resized_20240406_161350.jpeg

Thank you!
Lawrence is a master at his trade!

Mike

• Love

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
That is an amazing piece of artwork Mike! It sure makes a difference using smaller diameter pipe coming out of the turbo. Mine is functional but not pretty. Making that sharp u-turn is a biotch.

Getting close to doing some tuning on my setup. Problem is, I don't have a good feel for where the fuel adjustment screw is on my engine (D1305) in a B2650. There is NOTHING on the internet. I might end up calling every dealer I can find to see if anybody can help me.

Keep up the good work!

Solo
Thank you!
It took us some time to find the correct radius/bend for the Turbo exit pipe. It was trickier than originally anticipated.

Im not sure about your engine but, the set screw will be located somewhere on your injection pump. And, will likely have a security cap…which might help you locate it easier.

Mike

X-Pup

Equipment
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
Another thing I just noticed in those latest pic's, is what looks like a new custom adapter for the oil drain fitting? I know you mentioned doing something like that earlier in the thread. Is that currently in the development phase, or have you worked something out?

There's also a tractor in the background. Did you finally get envious enough to upgrade to an updated pipe?

I Just recently put in my order for the turbo kit. Apparently, the shop is getting ready for the upcoming SEMA Show. Looks like fun! :)

Even though I'm getting older I still can't seem to resist tinkering. (I have experience).

I want to thank you and your team for doing all the heavy lifting on this project.

I'm really looking forward to this upgrade.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Another thing I just noticed in those latest pic's, is what looks like a new custom adapter for the oil drain fitting? I know you mentioned doing something like that earlier in the thread. Is that currently in the development phase, or have you worked something out?

There's also a tractor in the background. Did you finally get envious enough to upgrade to an updated pipe?

I Just recently put in my order for the turbo kit. Apparently, the shop is getting ready for the upcoming SEMA Show. Looks like fun! :)

Even though I'm getting older I still can't seem to resist tinkering. (I have experience).

I want to thank you and your team for doing all the heavy lifting on this project.

I'm really looking forward to this upgrade.
The oil drain fitting is a somewhat new ‘off-the-shelf’ component we source from a vendor. When/if we get around to designing and manufacturing one ourselves, it’ll be one piece and smaller in dimension.

Unfortunately, no. Our focus has been filling orders and completing projects. I’m jealous but, I cant complain, all the amazing Turbo components are going towards new Kits. We haven’t had the time to upgrade the Turbo downpipe on my tractor yet.

Thanks for your order and compliments!
You’re definitely in the queue!
Can’t wait to get your feedback.

You’ll be receiving the newly upgraded oil feed/return lines. They’re really nice and we were glad we could negotiate a discount with the supplier to make it possible.

Mike

Rodd

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Oct 4, 2024
Montana
Hi Mike,
Question: On the S2T turbo kit, is there a fitting for the boost gauge to read from, or where is the best location to install the boost gauge fitting? Thanks!