Going Implement CrAZy

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
It's funny how that works.

Yes it is. I don't remember the exact time frame it hit me, but it did.

One day I'm popping the clutch trying to make tires spin and the next I eeeez the clutch on out thinking about the drive train and tires I can't afford :(

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You may have seen it already, don't recall where it was discussed. A friend of mine had to replace a front tire on his big NH 4WD. The belts seperated on it. Almost $900 for one tire. The rears cost over $2000 each. That's crazy.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
You may have seen it already, don't recall where it was discussed. A friend of mine had to replace a front tire on his big NH 4WD. The belts seperated on it. Almost $900 for one tire. The rears cost over $2000 each. That's crazy.
I did read that and my first thought was I wouldn't be driving a tractor anymore if it were me. No way in hell I can afford that, no way :(

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sure did make me start thinking bad thoughts. His NH tractor isn't much bigger than my M 9000. I've been scared to price tires for mine ever since then.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
A little good news to end this week. I finally have my tractor back all rigged out. Too bad the forecast is for snow/rain. Will I ever catch a break?

Here's some pics.

Now I will be able to get some real work done. Of course the more I do the more I'll need to do, and now I'll have to come up with some more goodies to put on this old beauty.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
ptwyz,

Let's see

Pulling stumps of several different sizes.

Cleaning up the "wood lot" section of our property.

Installing a pond kit.

Digging a water feature, or pond in a wet area of our property.

Putting in an access on the other end of our property including drainage
culvert.

Rerouting a new driveway.

Leveling and regrading around our house. (Probably fixing a few drainage problems left by the jerk who did it the last time.)

Preparing a new place for our 28ft box trailer in the trees, and an escape route for whatever moves it into place.

Preparing spots for chicken coops and runs.

Moving some bushes and small trees around our property.

Moving some boats, metal and other clutter that has accumulated or was pre-exisiting to our purchase of the property.

Preparing a pad for a trailer or motorhome setup on the far end of our property.

Excavating a fountation wall and slab for a garage/shop.

Tilling and replanting with the proper vegetation to make our chickens, ducks, and local wildlife happy. Also as an attempt to remove as much of the underground root system for the local trash trees as humanly possible.

Digging a moat. :D OK, so maybe not.

And I'm sure that along the way there will be plenty of hauling of materials and friend and neighbor work to keep busy. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh yeah, I also want to go out in the area and salvage a railroad switch which is down over a steep bank and bring it home as a decoration. Maybe there will be other neat things to salvage as well. Did I mention the wind turbine(s)?? Opps, and lets not forget the Groto to the Holy Mother.
Ok Slim, Be sure to take plenty of pics for us. I'm sure you will get most of this list done over the weekend.

Nice looking ride, I'm sure it will do a great job for you. :D:cool:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm glad to see your doing the smart thing and useing chains and load binders to tie that tractor down with and not ratchet straps. Just a word of advise and I dont know what its like up in your neck of the woods but down here in Virginia there are supposed to be 5 chains and binders on a backhoe like that. Four individual ones on the tractor alone and a 5th one going across the hoe boom to keep it from swinging side to side.

The DOT down here is geting rather anal about chaining equipment down.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
I'm glad to see your doing the smart thing and useing chains and load binders to tie that tractor down with and not ratchet straps. Just a word of advise and I dont know what its like up in your neck of the woods but down here in Virginia there are supposed to be 5 chains and binders on a backhoe like that. Four individual ones on the tractor alone and a 5th one going across the hoe boom to keep it from swinging side to side.

The DOT down here is geting rather anal about chaining equipment down.
That's a valid point. I'm not aware of any laws about carrying loads in the State of Vermont. I'm probably better off not looking it up. ;) I asked professional large equipment people what I needed and they sold me the chains, although I bought the better binders at NAPA.

I've seen tractors of similar size held down only by their weight I'm guessing, as there were no chains visible. Just the other day I saw a B2320 (?) on a landscape trailer that wasn't tied down.

This might be a good subject on its own to list the laws from each State for our members and visitors.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well you sir are atleast one the right track with your own tractor and tieing it down on the trailer. Best way to chain them down is like you've done by pulling the front and rear chains in the opposite direction as to put equal strength on the load. The chains need to be out on an angle like you have them to really help hold the tractor in place. One way to look at it is the chain are playing tug-of-war with one another which has equal pressure front to back.

My trailer is identical to yours and for years I used the lever binders but was killing myself and busting knuckhols trying to lock them down tight enough to hold the load secure. Then I finally spent the extra bucks and got a bunch of ratchet or screw type binders and LOVE those little gems. They make it ALOT nicer when you have a 12" raling like that on a trailer.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
Those were my first choice except for the lack of money I ran into, and the fact I couldn't find any to fit the chain I'm using. The ones I found were too big.

I remember using some while I was in the Air Force that had a neat hook like handle lock. It went through the hole in the handle and when locked it could snap on the chain to lock it from popping open. Has anyone worked with those as well?

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I remember using some while I was in the Air Force that had a neat hook like handle lock. It went through the hole in the handle and when locked it could snap on the chain to lock it from popping open. Has anyone worked with those as well?
Slim, I think I know the kind you mentioned. We used to use those in the Army when we loaded our stuff on flat bed rail cars. As a safety we would rap a strand of wire around the handle to make sure it couldn't come undone.
I've never seen these on the outside though.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I actually happen to have a few of those old lever binders that have a loop on the end of the handle. Big enough to put a pad lock threw. Usually what I dont so lever binder doesnt pop open is wrap the excess slack of the chain around the handle a few times so it wont pop open. The wraps from the chain will help to keep it from flying open. I use both the ratchet and lever binder. I cant begin to count the number of chains and binders I have but its ALOT!

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I actually happen to have a few of those old lever binders that have a loop on the end of the handle. Big enough to put a pad lock threw. Usually what I dont so lever binder doesnt pop open is wrap the excess slack of the chain around the handle a few times so it wont pop open. The wraps from the chain will help to keep it from flying open. I use both the ratchet and lever binder. I cant begin to count the number of chains and binders I have but its ALOT!
The kind you hade in the picture is way better. It was always a hit or miss to get the right link for correct tension. The ratchet is WAY better, no geussing and as the load does loosen later on just crank in a few more turns.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah your right about that. But each one has its place and I use both of my types equally. I learned with a lever binder if you cant find the right link on the chain take the longest one that you can hook too and slip a 5 foot long piece of pipe over the handle for leverage and lock that sucker down. Also this handy dandy winch bar is useful to have around.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Damn, that bar would be handy as hell to have around when people start getting stupid!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah I've uh grabbed mine a time or 2 before when idiots wanna start shit with you out in traffic and not have the balls to hang around when they follow you into a parking lot and try to square off with you. It works like a charm everytime as a peace keeper.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know about working everytime. The last time that I got cut off by a 18 wheeler driver while I was hauling my tractor wanted to show me his tire knocker after I gave him a friendly one sided peace sign. He changed his mind, ran back to his truck and left. I believe he had a allergy problem though. He seemed to be conserned about the possible exposure to hot lead.