Fixing hole in side of block

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin

People saying dont run it without coolant:

Yall realize there is 1.5 gallons of oil it?

I bet i can't overheat it if I tried
I would not bet the farm on that one. The 1.5 gallons of oil do not run in coolant passages surrounding the cylinder liners and head wicking away combustion heat. JMHO. In any case I would not run the engine for more than a minute without coolant, I am too lazy and too cheap to replace a cracked head! LOL

Reactions: 2 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I would not bet the farm on that one. The 1.5 gallons of oil do not run in coolant passages surrounding the cylinder liners and head wicking away combustion heat. JMHO. In any case I would not run the engine for more than a minute without coolant, I am too lazy and too cheap to replace a cracked head! LOL
Back in the 70's I rebuilt a 196.6 6 cylinder engine in a 64 rambler. I did rings, honed it, rod and main bearings, valve job the whole thing. It wouldn't start when I first tried and wound up cranking the battery down. I took a break while it charged and foolishly had a couple beers with my lunch. But I figured out that the distributor was probably 180 deg off. Checked when I got back to it and it was. I then tried and it started right up, running really smooth. I let it idle for probably 10 minutes and it started to get rough so I reached over and blipped the throttle once and it caught on the hose clamp for the coolant manifold preheat tube. I thought I better move that clamp before it becomes a problem.
It was then I realized I had oil in it but no coolant. It had broken the rings in the 3rd and 4th cylinders from lack of coolant and me having my coolant didn't help.

Not a happy moment when I was on a limited budget and had to start over.

Bill

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It was then I realized I had oil in it but no coolant. It had broken the rings in the 3rd and 4th cylinders from lack of coolant and me having my coolant didn't help.

Not a happy moment when I was on a limited budget and had to start over.

Bill
I think the error in your ways was not putting enough personal coolant into your system!

Had you done that properly you might’ve put off doing anything until the next day and realized where you were at with the vehicle engine, and checked for proper lubrication and coolant before you tried to start it!

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users