Fixing hole in side of block

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
forget about the patch for now
instead get the heat on the cast and see if you can get a small pool of bronze to attach to it.
Bingo - you read my mind exactly, I was fixing to come and say those exact words, because

I have never gotten a weld to stick to anything before what I showed Yall this morning

Even that is an achievement for me

Of course it would be tricky to weld on cast iron, my instincts see it as a petrified metal, very stubborn to get anything to hold onto it

So yes, forget about the patch, hone in on what it will take to get cast iron to bond to bronze

Next experiment: Hit the iron skillet with regular propane torch, get the entire entity hot not just the welding area, then come in with the acetylene and hit it until it has that wet look like yall advised

Next experiment taking place early evening or evening if I have the energy

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
My only suggestion to OP would be to go on Welding Web and post this repair with questions about how to do it. I would also ask those guys if one of them is nearby and could help out or do it
Zero chance I would go anywhere outside of this forum

Are you reading these responses? They are busting at the seams with data. They even cater their answers to my newbie questions

No amount of money can i pay someone to teach me and answer my questions the way this forum does

I honestly believe the knowledge of this forum is better than all universities/schools combined

2 days ago I had no clue that bronze rods even existed, and now they got me sticking it to the patch and it won't even come off with a hammer, Unbelievable

And all yall saying I won't get the patch to stick, please keep saying it, I am only motivated when yall say "you can't do it"

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
You can not put enough flame to it to melt cast iron!
Yes I realized that now, I'm fixing to hit it with the acetylene until it gets that wet look

You need to take your pan and throw it on a BBQ grill on high for a min of 15 min.
Yes I am comprehending, I do have a BBQ grill to put it in and preheat it

Also your flame is not adjusted properly because you're leaving soot on the parts.
Hmm, it could be the impurities cooking that were not removed from the skillet when I hit it with grinding wheel