Fixing hole in side of block

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have little doubt that Joe is doing this repair/engine rebuild/repaint, for the sole purpose of flipping the little Kubota.
Most of us would do this work (for ourselves) in the very best way possible.
Joe, apparently has a different mindset/goal.
You could be right. But who cares?

All I know is I have come to conclusions in the past without really knowing why, and I have been wrong.

BUT even if you are right...so what? Except that if you are right, too bad for the purchaser perhaps, ...that much is certainly true.

But it is all speculation at this point. Maybe he will post the tractor for sale here at OTT! :ROFLMAO:

I do have to agree if I were doing the work for my own use, I would not probably worry about paint...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You could be right. But who cares?

All I know is I have come to conclusions in the past without really knowing why, and I have been wrong.

BUT even if you are right...so what? Except that if you are right, too bad for the purchaser perhaps, ...that much is certainly true.

But it is all speculation at this point. Maybe he will post the tractor for sale here at OTT! :ROFLMAO:

I do have to agree if I were doing the work for my own use, I would not probably worry about paint...
There’s a few members that account for a majority of responses to Joe’s project.

Those members are usually derogatory and offer nothing beyond ridicule.

Probably something they feel a need to do. Makes them feel important.

I won’t engage in that type of behavior nor condone same.

Like you, I may not do Joe’s project the same today.

There was a time I got something done as best I could with my own resources.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Joe hasn't said what he plans to do with these tractors so what I say is directed at what on lookers were overheard to say.
To say it's ok and buyer beware when selling something that has been jerry-rigged is shameful. To publicly preen about one's high morals then turn around and say it's ok to put one over on unsuspecting buyers exposes their true character.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
@joesmith123 for testing for water leaks they sell radiator caps with pumps to pressurize the system. I have no idea how much pressure is applied but I think it would be around 10 to 13 PSI since that is what the regular radiator cap is designed to hold. Here is an example

That much pressure will exert a lot of force distributed over the surface area of the internal passages so be careful that you don’t get it too high in PSI.

I assume you could cap off the openings with some rubber caps but they would expand and probably blow off or out.

I would probably try to replace the radiator with suitable tube or pipe that can pressurize the system through that.

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Fixing all leak, experimenting with jb weld capabilities

20241008_234301.jpg

Brand new gasket governor

20241008_234348.jpg

Cubby hole: I don't see a gasket, make gasket with the red tube

Also, I try bending back governor spring, see it bent in picture

20241009_001421.jpg

Red gasket maker on cubby hole

20241009_002918.jpg

Put cubby hole and governor cover, spread gasket maker with finger

Possibly solved seesaw idle:

The spring was upside down, I flipped spring and it is in the natural state, seem hopeful

Last edited:

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Fixing all leak, experimenting with jb weld capabilities

View attachment 139452

Brand new gasket governor

View attachment 139453

Cubby hole: I don't see a gasket, make gasket with the red tube

Also, I try bending back governor spring, see it bent in picture

View attachment 139454

Red gasket maker on cubby hole

View attachment 139455

Put cubby hole and governor cover, spread gasket maker with finger

Possibly solved seesaw idle:

The spring was upside down, I flipped spring and it is in the natural state, seem hopeful
When using that silicone material for a gasket you should apply it all around each bolt hole. If you look at a pre-made gasket you will see what I mean. Otherwise there is a possible path for oil to get to the bolt hole and then out around the bolt.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Joe hasn't said what he plans to do with these tractors so what I say is directed at what on lookers were overheard to say.
To say it's ok and buyer beware when selling something that has been jerry-rigged is shameful. To publicly preen about one's high morals then turn around and say it's ok to put one over on unsuspecting buyers exposes their true character.
Yeah,......but Joe is using JB weld for some repairs.
Isn't that OEM ? :D

Last edited:
  • Haha

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
File down jb weld, keep knocking out leak one at a time

20241009_114111.jpg

File flange crack

Theory on why this crack occur: must of had water, not coolant, and a deep freeze unexpectedly froze up all cooling system expanding water

20241009_114121.jpg

File exhaust manifold

Now: put water in it somehow and seal it up moderately, start it up

I'll use hose clamp and look for junk to seal the line that fit hole

20241009_120533.jpg

Go through junk, rig up seal

20241009_121019.jpg

Put water inside engine, rig up plumbing, turn on engine look for leaks, spray soapy water

20241009_122013.jpg

Hit with part cleaner then air

Now you can see any leak, soap bottle ready

Before I start it: imagine that the spring was on backward, and when she fire she purr with no more seesaw

20241009_124603.jpg

Big water crack, did not push out any vapor, jb weld holding water leak, unbelievable

And it was true: that leak was the big culprit, only tiny water leak left on water pump

20241009_124615.jpg

My exhaust leak fix worked, but paint bubbling signaling more exhaust leak somewhere else

Could the narrative be true that: one can seal engine with just jb weld and a brush, permanently...

Video: solved the seesaw idle with flipping spring, water leak pretty much all gone, tiny leak on gearcase i try to show you

woah: jb weld, a brush, and a file could solve tons of our issues, i cant believe it myself

bigger narrative: that next part that show up in the mail aint your problem, the problem was solveable the whole time and took zero dollar cost, I just had blindspot not letting me see true narrative

20241009_140250.jpg

Douse in diesel, hit with abrasives of all kind, fixing mistake of too much paint

20241009_140319.jpg

20241009_150000.jpg

douse whole area with big brush diesel, go through with every abrasive get rid of all paint, files are mvp, hit hard with compressed air, hit with part cleaner, take break, do it again

later: start it up again, spray soap water, document leak, clean area, use sealing techniques just discovered to completely seal engine, paint engine (small coat)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
File down jb weld, keep knocking out leak one at a time

View attachment 139483

File flange crack

Theory on why this crack occur: must of had water, not coolant, and a deep freeze unexpectedly froze up all cooling system expanding water

View attachment 139484

File exhaust manifold

Now: put water in it somehow and seal it up moderately, start it up

I'll use hose clamp and look for junk to seal the line that fit hole

View attachment 139488

Go through junk, rig up seal

View attachment 139490

Put water inside engine, rig up plumbing, turn on engine look for leaks, spray soapy water

View attachment 139491

Hit with part cleaner then air

Now you can see any leak, soap bottle ready

Before I start it: imagine that the spring was on backward, and when she fire she purr with no more seesaw

View attachment 139494

Big water crack, did not push out any vapor, jb weld holding water leak, unbelievable

And it was true: that leak was the big culprit, only tiny water leak left on water pump

View attachment 139495

My exhaust leak fix worked, but paint bubbling signaling more exhaust leak somewhere else

Could the narrative be true that: one can seal engine with just jb weld and a brush, permanently...

Video: solved the seesaw idle with flipping spring, water leak pretty much all gone, tiny leak on gearcase i try to show you

woah: jb weld, a brush, and a file could solve tons of our issues, i cant believe it myself

bigger narrative: that next part that show up in the mail aint your problem, the problem was solveable the whole time and took zero dollar cost, I just had blindspot not letting me see true narrative

View attachment 139503

Douse in diesel, hit with abrasives of all kind, fixing mistake of too much paint

View attachment 139504
Put some JB Weld on that cracked fan hub too!
If you sand it carefully, and paint it, the "flip" buyer will never know about it, or the JB Weld water leak repair,......until sometime later!
Buyer beware!

Last edited:
  • Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I mentioned making due with what you have...Joe's saga made me think of this.

As a kid, I lived in a very rural place.

Sometimes I had vehicle problems I couldn't pay a mechanic to fix. I was a school kid and often worked 80+ hours/week.

Enter Charlie Brown, young Proprietor of the gas station/repair shop in the center of town. Was a 2 mile trip, half of which was downhill if the vehicle wasn't running.....

He'd let me park out back.

I brought tools and he would help me diagnose problems and check on me periodically as I did repairs behind the shop in the rain, snow, heat.

The guy was a saint. Saw him and his wife at an auction a few years ago. They both gave me a hug. I thanked them both for the help decades before. They have since sold the shop.

He was my resource long before the Internet, OTT and YouTube. Gives you some appreciation for what the internet can do for us now.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Thick paint job turned out to be mistake

20241009_162917.jpg

washing with solvent, hitting with compressed air hard, wire wheeling, using every shape file imagineable,

That paint turning out to be more stubborn to get off than 44 year old crud/gasket/whatever

Its got a rubbery attachment to the metal, keeps dodging swipes with files

in this video, put water in engine, plugged water not too tight up top to let steam out, running engine and spraying soapy water looking for the leaks

Only leak I see is head connection to flange, behind gearcase

Oil leaks do not create bubble, i noticed that later

regardless, clean it comprehensively, run it one more time and also note the oil leaks if any, document all leaks

Then take off head and seal water route, surgery like fashion

plan: run it one more time with bright light up close, no spraying soapy water, looking for the oil leaks, document them

Then go again and spray soapy water on the water leak areas, ensuring you have all leaks documented, at least in your head

20241010_004449.jpg

20241010_004441.jpg

gearcase leaks: side leak is oil leak from air chiseling out the gearcase, there was damage to it, seal it up jb weld now

front leaks: bolts bubbling out, not oil, they must connect into the water system

only oil leak is that gearcase leak, no leaks on exhaust manifold

all leaks: gearcase oil leak, water leak head connection to flange, water leak water pump connection to gearcase

20241010_005908.jpg

File gear case oil leak, wipe with solvent, brush jb weld

20241010_010844.jpg

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can't remember the term for it, but if you see a tractor that is advertised for sale, or other equipment for that matter, which has obviously been spray painted to make it look good, what is that called?

I mean when EVERYTHING is painted, like the fan and fan belt and exhaust system, and tubing leading to the injectors, and so on...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I can't remember the term for it, but if you see a tractor that is advertised for sale, or other equipment for that matter, which has obviously been spray painted to make it look good, what is that called?

I mean when EVERYTHING is painted, like the fan and fan belt and exhaust system, and tubing leading to the injectors, and so on...
"Fluff & Buff" ?????
Am quite certain that is exactly what is going on here.

• Haha

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Around here they refer to that as an enamel overhaul. Repainting something shouldnt be looked down upon.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Around here they refer to that as an enamel overhaul. Repainting something shouldnt be looked down upon.
Granted repainting should never be looked down upon, if it is done in a logical fashion.

I was referring to old equipment that is obviously spray painted to make it look good, and done in such a way that the purpose is obvious. To the extent that in crazy extremes even the tires may show over spray to some degree....

Just can't put my finger on the term used...

Edit: An example would be a small crawler that is painted to look kind of nice, but EVERYTHING is painted including the tracks...and I mean everything!

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Granted repainting should never be looked down upon, if it is done in a logical fashion.

I was referring to old equipment that is obviously spray painted to make it look good, and done in such a way that the purpose is obvious. To the extent that in crazy extremes even the tires may show over spray to some degree....

Just can't put my finger on the term used...
Edit: An example would be a small crawler that is painted to look kind of nice, but EVERYTHING is painted including the tracks...and I mean everything!
What you are looking for is, painter wasn't taking it slow nor did he do it fast, just half fast.

• Haha

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
yes, shop update and plan

govornor spring and start spring show up, main bearing case bolt for other engine not on the way yet

File down jb weld that was last applied, start engine again, make sure oil leak all gone, then

organize area to take parts off close to tractor: take off head cover, eveything up top, and take off engine head

take off the water connection connected to head (leaking area), take off water pump (leaking area)

perfectly put it back together with full intent on nothing leaking, in the proper order, with zero mistake

Clean everything again, surgically working, employing all the lesson learned in this thread

All bolts fully tight, with no rush, in the perfect order

summary: take head off, fix both water leaks, install the new governor springs, put everything back together and have no leak

While parts are again dissassmbled, hit them with wire wheel etc, fixing the paint mistake

20241010_201209.jpg

Governor spring come in old style logo

@Russell King

20241010_202902.jpg

I point to water flange that had crack in it and was leaking water, this is where I experiment if jb weld can fix water leak on engine

It could fail from heat, we see soon

20241010_202916.jpg

This is tiny oil leak, right side of gear case, under injection pump

directly behind are the gears in oil, it was where when guessing how to remove gear case, I air chiseled and did small damage to area

it should hold if not, it is accessible

The leak now that I need to fix where I need to take off engine head:

I have zero access to leaking area without either taking head or gearcase off

I did install that flange onto head in improper order but did get gasket on it, but something there did not seal properly

solution to all these problems: as you build engine, you stop and pressure test,

get smart and get gadgets that test pressure like you showed, and come up with your own ways to seal engine, and test for these things

These are talents I dont have

20241010_213645.jpg

Taking parts off, take off head bolts

20241010_221743.jpg

I point: exact area where there was leak, i did not disturb the water

20241010_221826.jpg

I point to the culprit, separate those two components, surgically seal them, might use some of that red RTV

Last edited: