Fixing hole in side of block

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I remember correctly there are two threaded holes in the hub of the steering wheel that can be used with a puller to draw up the steering wheel.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If I remember correctly there are two threaded holes in the hub of the steering wheel that can be used with a puller to draw up the steering wheel.
Not all steering wheels have these drilled and tapped holes.

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
Depending on your location you may be able to use all the parts you need and sell the remains of what you don't want to inventory. Post on the internet the items you want to sell, someone is looking for them!
Joe, what is your location ? (Approx. no need to attract scavengers or vultures.) Although you could probably sell tickets. :)

Anyone, what would be the best places online to sell or find used / aftermarket Kubota parts??

Reactions: 2 users

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
Just type in something like "auto paint hardener".

LIKETHIS

Thanks, Guys!

Been a few (50+) years since "The Days Of Beer And Lacquer". Enamel was a Swear Word. But I can learn.

Also seems like the "8 coats with wet sandpaper in between" don't need to happen anymore..

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I took an adult ed night course in body and paint work back in '76 just for fun and our instructor had us do lacquer and enamel, along with both polyester and lead body repairs. That was my introduction to hardener. Also the first place I heard about Imron.

• Love

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I took an adult ed night course in body and paint work back in '76 just for fun and our instructor had us do lacquer and enamel, along with both polyester and lead body repairs. That was my introduction to hardener. Also the first place I heard about Imron.
Wow! Guess I lead a sheltered life!

A adult course in body painting! I can only imagine that the models that you painted were quite attractive, since it was your introduction to hardener!

I’m impressed and now realize I could’ve done more when younger!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Joe, what is your location ? (Approx. no need to attract scavengers or vultures.) Although you could probably sell tickets. :)

Anyone, what would be the best places online to sell or find used / aftermarket Kubota parts??
Why would you want to go anywhere to buy/sale/trade other than right here on OTT ? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Adjusting idle, still need to fix leaks

Video before adjusting bolt: notice the see saw, I try show you leaks, I show high oil pressure

20241007_220804.jpg

I am adjusting this until seesaw gone

Here's where i got it after one adjustment, screw it in more and see how she idle

I do not think it is governor springs

Also: jb weld to fix exhaust leak did not work

need a comprehensive plan to fix leaks: take off head, perfectly bind the head to the flange, put in gasket on governor lid, and maybe injection pump leaking

Now: keep adjusting idle until stable

Rotated adjustment clockwise until tractor would no longer turn on, then backed it off a half spin

It is the smoothest I can get it, the seesaw has to be the springs

Springs will be here in couple days, when springs show up, that's when I get in there and fix all leaks with intent

20241008_021915.jpg

I tell you what it need: take it all apart, clean everything, professionally and comprehensively reassemble perfectly

20241008_022218.jpg

I point to a crack in the water flange, not related to my reassembly

Study entire area, find every leak, then take it apart, don't take it apart yet

Last edited:

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
You can stop the exhaust leak by putting a small amount of red RTV on both sides of the gasket. That's what I did years ago and still no leaks.
Also I might be wrong, but I think the nut you took off is where you adjust the "slop" in the steering box.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Adjusting idle, still need to fix leaks

Video before adjusting bolt: notice the see saw, I try show you leaks, I show high oil pressure

View attachment 139399

I am adjusting this until seesaw gone

Here's where i got it after one adjustment, screw it in more and see how she idle

I do not think it is governor springs

Also: jb weld to fix exhaust leak did not work

need a comprehensive plan to fix leaks: take off head, perfectly bind the head to the flange, put in gasket on governor lid, and maybe injection pump leaking

Now: keep adjusting idle until stable

Rotated adjustment clockwise until tractor would no longer turn on, then backed it off a half spin

It is the smoothest I can get it, the seesaw has to be the springs

Springs will be here in couple days, when springs show up, that's when I get in there and fix all leaks with intent

View attachment 139400

I tell you what it need: take it all apart, clean everything, professionally and comprehensively reassemble perfectly

View attachment 139401

I point to a crack in the water flange, not related to my reassembly

Study entire area, find every leak, then take it apart, don't take it apart yet
That hose looks like it's got s soft spot by the clamp. If so, just as well replace it now!!!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Depending on your location you may be able to use all the parts you need and sell the remains of what you don't want to inventory. Post on the internet the items you want to sell, someone is looking for them!
His location is "earth".......
Should be LOTS of folks needing parts.
It is a vast user area!:)

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
A few folks make comments on the "less then positive" side about Joe's operation and process. According to most it's unorthodox, but I think I would get along with Joe just fine if he was nearby. I appreciate his willingness to solve problem and document it for all to see. He makes something out of nothing. He uses what he has to get the job done. He's concerned about cost. He's not inhibited by opinions.

He reminds me of someone who is in the Navy, Coast Guard, or other service.... they learn to do with what they have to solve any problem. We need more of that in America!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
In depth plan on fixing all leak

The water leak coming from gasket is not as bad as the water leak in the cracked flange that attaches to head

Previous post I show picture pointing to water leak

List of all leak: governor cubby holes I did not put gasket yet until I put new springs, should be here Friday

Jb weld on exhaust leak: no joke, it is holding better than anticipated, only tiny bit of leak on bottom of exhaust connection where i did not put enough jb weld, unbelievable

Water leaks: head connecting to flange, underneath water pump, and the crack in the housing itself that connects to the head

Also, there could be leaks in the gearcase, can someone recommend a torque for those bolts?

I will comprehensively go and torque all bolts during this rebuild

@D2Cat

I assure you this is what America was all about and tons of people use this method to solve problem and make profit

Big liar is so powerful he got us thinking we need fancy tool to fix or paint anything

These machine are made to be fixed and the old Japanese man that design these machine is on OUR team of making the machine run forever

Soon: make bubble spray, start engine, document all leak, do not take anything apart until you know exactly where the leaks are

Maybe someone has good idea: I want to pressurize cooling system to check for leak BEFORE putting on radiator,

How can I finangle pressurizing the cooling system to check for leak before putting it back together so many times?

Anyone can put together an engine, but not everyone can put together engine and not have leak

You can stop the exhaust leak by putting a small amount of red RTV on both sides of the gasket.
Yes, in this comprehensive operation to stop all the leaks, I do have some red gasket maker and will be implemented into the operation

First thing I need to do: I need to put framing along that part of shop ceiling allowing in sun, and nail that scrap metal laying around

What's happening: too much sun hitting shop around 3-630 pm, making it less pleasant, it is annoying me

Yes, I come up with expermental plan to fix all leak, and NOT take head off, I narrate:

Take radiator off, now you are facing gear case and can access all leaks

The oil leaks: they will be gone since I have not yet put in the gasket and fastened bolts

Water leaks: Plug the bottom port going to radiator, then fill up engine with some water and it cannot escape since port is facing up

When engine get up to temp, you can see the leaks clearly now

Experiment: Can jb weld fix leak if applied generously?

big water leak is not in the gaskets that I installed, those are tiny, the big water leak is in the cracked flange from the head going to radiator

Summary: take off radiator, plug bottom water port, pour water into engine, get it up to temp, mark all leak, then use jb weld on brush and put aggressively over the leaks

fix that messed up paint job, Hit entire area with wire wheel, give it one thin coat that you let cure properly

apply jb weld on bottom of exhaust port that has small leak

Goal: keep expermenting until you have all leak solved, do not move forward until all leak is solved,

for the forum and myself to get to bottom of narrative of fixing leak

@Henro

paint narrative: I did not care about paint, but it come from trying to hit the dinosaur hard with nostalgia

Goal: make machine look so new, that dinosaur start to have memory from the 80s,

I want dinosaur to say: "Woah, I remember seeing that machine on hwy whatever in 1983, one just like that. It remind me of so and so"

Also, notice how right when the paint dried on that first chassis, the entire mood changed, with more positive statments

20241008_202457.jpg

Remove radiator, cannot get belt off, bring brush and apply some diesel, hit belt lightly with torch

20241008_202511.jpg

basic tool required, notice the gasket maker, experiment with that

20241008_204753.jpg

took off belt, clean with part cleaner, hit with compressed air

now: fill with water, get engine running, look for all leak

Governor leak, water leak not showing, system need to be pressurized

Plan: fix all leak visible, then figure out cap to seal water in engine and see if it leaks

Now: clean areas, prepare jb weld with clean brush, apply to areas, might sacrifice governor gasket for purpose of eliminating all leak

20241008_220016.jpg

This is the leak I think causing the big mess, a crack in flange

20241008_220121.jpg

Exhaust leak underside of manifold

Put big glob jb weld on both, sacrifice 2 gaskets on governor and cubby hole for purpose of seeing if injection pump is leaking

20241008_223259.jpg

20241008_223324.jpg

File areas getting jb weld, clean them, glob on using small brush

20241008_225625.jpg

20241008_225639.jpg

Globbed on jb weld on two leaks, now: take out cubby hole then governor spring, sacrifice two gasket

Last edited:

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
A few folks make comments on the "less then positive" side about Joe's operation and process. According to most it's unorthodox, but I think I would get along with Joe just fine if he was nearby. I appreciate his willingness to solve problem and document it for all to see. He makes something out of nothing. He uses what he has to get the job done. He's concerned about cost. He's not inhibited by opinions.

He reminds me of someone who is in the Navy, Coast Guard, or other service.... they learn to do with what they have to solve any problem. We need more of that in America!
Well said.
Kudos to the folks that give constructive criticism with the intent to let Joe know that what he’s doing may not work out or there may be something he is missing.
However I just shake my head when I read posts from folks that are basically just cutting Joe down without giving any real input. I guess they just have too much time on their hands or just like to put others down.
This has been one of the most interesting threads I have read on OTT.
Good job trying to figure things out Joe!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I'm old school and say do it right the first time or don't waste your time. That means inspect and verify everything is within tolerance before assembly. Paint to seal leaks, disassembly 3 times, lack of cleanliness, guessing at torque, hand sanding bearing journals and many more are not good alternatives for taking the time up front to ensure your not wasting time and money. I guess Joe has lots of time on his hands for short term fixes but that's not what we should be cheering on. Joe needs a mentor.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm old school and say do it right the first time or don't waste your time. That means inspect and verify everything is within tolerance before assembly. Paint to seal leaks, disassembly 3 times, lack of cleanliness, guessing at torque, hand sanding bearing journals and many more are not good alternatives for taking the time up front to ensure your not wasting time and money. I guess Joe has lots of time on his hands for short term fixes but that's not what we should be cheering on. Joe needs a mentor.
Possibly Joe developed his engine rebuilding techniques in a rural North Vietnam sand pit.
That IS part of our "earth".

Last edited:
  • Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Maybe not OLD SCHOOL, unless you attended a different school than I did... :ROFLMAO:

More like Perfect School, and nothing wrong with that....

Joe's approach exemplifies the other side of the coin. Hard for some to see both sides. Fact of life.

Lot's of people in lots of countries in the world today keep things running in conditions that are not imaginable by people in this country.

Maybe Joe is in one of them, or maybe he is here. He admits he resides on earth, so we know that much...LOL...good for him...

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have little doubt that Joe is doing this repair/engine rebuild/repaint, for the sole purpose of flipping the little Kubota.
Most of us would do this work (for ourselves) in the very best way possible.
Joe, apparently has a different mindset/goal.

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

@D2Cat - - Very well said.

I came from a place where you made do. 40+ years ago my grandfather rebuilt the engine on (now) my Minneapolis Moline on the barn floor. The cows were gone then, but it's what we had.

Gutters on both sides. Needed a trouble light to see/do anything, even in the middle of the day.

He did it on the cheap because there was no other option. I was in school and working a lot, so I wasn't as involved in the project as I now wish I could have been.

I certainly understand the position of many that it's "not the way I would do that."

I'm now in a position where I could be more exacting in my work. Often that entails $$$.

I haven't been a part of this thread beyond a few words of praise and encouragement.

Not saying I would take on Joe’s project in similar fashion today, but think I understand some of the aspects/demands of it.

Hope it all works out well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users