Fixing hole in side of block

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Joe
* Are you sure the water jacket is intact? Wasn't cracked or broken when the main hole was made?
* A propane torch by itself won't be adequate to braze that, but it might be useful to maintain the preheat and slow the cool-down. I'm thinking you're going to need help with this.
* I'd use a piece of steel, 1/8" or so thick. Cup it if necessary. Grind out the hole to get rid of any spider cracks and sharp corners. Fit the patch to the hole as closely as possible before brazing.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Joe
* Are you sure the water jacket is intact? Wasn't cracked or broken when the main hole was made?
* A propane torch by itself won't be adequate to braze that, but it might be useful to maintain the preheat and slow the cool-down. I'm thinking you're going to need help with this.
* I'd use a piece of steel, 1/8" or so thick. Cup it if necessary. Grind out the hole to get rid of any spider cracks and sharp corners. Fit the patch to the hole as closely as possible before brazing.
Joe, having never brazed before,...... this fix will certainly be a stretch.

Reactions: 1 user

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
yes I am listening - grind the hole edges and get rid of the sharp corners, get 1/8 inch steel, cut it the size of the hole, hammer on it and get it the general shape of the area it is covering. Then I am getting a nickel rod and I will melt the rod on the edges of the steel patch and fuse it to the block

A propane torch by itself won't be adequate to braze that
Thank you for answering my question. Ok, I need to figure out the brazing gas. How about that yellow tank, I think it is called MAPP gas. Maybe that gas is good enough for brazing?

I woke up too late from the nap after removing the crankcase and whatever else I was doing earlier. Now is a good time to watch videos and find a clip that I can emulate of someone brazing a cast iron block, and see how they do it, and try to get better understanding