Windows 10 update

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I get a chuckle out of the 'update' problems people have and I've had puters since tha Altair days, still have an 8008 system here 'somewhere'.' Did 'updates' by editing the hex files on floppy OS. Computers' today are a vicious spiral, 'they' promote a 'must have' ap, so you need the latest OS to run it, and then you find out you need the newest hardware to run the new OS.. It's all about getting coins from you. To use the new tax ap , gotta have Win10,which won't run on this PC(too old...not compatible BS)Running Win7U,NO upgrades on theis 14yr old desktop, zero problems,cept for the usualy USB krap. I still have a W98SE machine here as it has REAL comports,needed run custom communications equipment.
The only updates I have enabled are for the virus databases cause if it ain't broke, no need to fix !
Yep, everything in this life now is all about money. Canada released a covid alert apt for iPhone but we have an iPhone 6 (old) so we can't update it in order to get the apt. Why, because they want people to run out and get a new phone, I say stuff it.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Yep, everything in this life now is all about money. Canada released a covid alert apt for iPhone but we have an iPhone 6 (old) so we can't update it in order to get the apt. Why, because they want people to run out and get a new phone, I say stuff it.
Well I'll be damned, I just tried it again and it took it go figure.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well I'll be damned, I just tried it again and it took it go figure.
Very nice!!

Early this morning the ol' computer had done it's updates and is ready to go.

My iPhone was also calling for an update, so I tempted fate again and ran it though an update....all good for a while (I hope).

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Very nice!!

Early this morning the ol' computer had done it's updates and is ready to go.

My iPhone was also calling for an update, so I tempted fate again and ran it though an update....all good for a while (I hope).
That's awesome RCW, congrats man.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
How old was the old laptop and what was it running for an OS?
It was only 2 years old and the other is probably 5 years old. The one between those was completely rebuilt and finally replaced by Dell hence the 2 year old. The last one takes at least 5 minutes to boot up from "sleep". I just grew weary from dealing with something that doesn't/didn/t work.

This thing boots up from sleep before I get the lid open.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Would need to know what hardware you're running inside the laptop to know if it should be replaced. What CPU is it running? How much RAM? Windows updates, once they get to the point where you took the picture, have nothing to do with wifi or network connection - the update was already downloaded and is now being installed in your picture. It also depends what update you were actually installing there. If it was one of the big creator updates, then those can be tough on an old, slow computer. Not only do these big updates patch the OS but they create a full backup of the windows folder in the root c:/.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
It was only 2 years old and the other is probably 5 years old. The one between those was completely rebuilt and finally replaced by Dell hence the 2 year old. The last one takes at least 5 minutes to boot up from "sleep". I just grew weary from dealing with something that doesn't/didn/t work.

This thing boots up from sleep before I get the lid open.
How much did you spend on the pc laptops vs the mac? Ive seen computer newbies go from a pc to a mac and think its amazing at how fast it seems, but they spent 3 times the money on it, and upgraded to it from a very budget laptop.

Mac's are not faster than PC's. PC's actually are the performance king. Just make sure you dont compare $500 budget pc to $1700 mac. The difference in waking up from sleep is likely because your PC laptop was running a mechanical hard drive, and the mac is likely on a solid state drive. Mac's arent a bad system they are very popular among photographers and videographers for example, but I just hate to see people assume its superior to pc because they are comparing it to a really crap computer. PC's have tons and tons of options in the market, where Apple keeps their stuff locked down pretty tight. Some budget pc's are really not built for speed, and are instead built to help your wallet.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
How much did you spend on the pc laptops vs the mac? Ive seen computer newbies go from a pc to a mac and think its amazing at how fast it seems, but they spent 3 times the money on it, and upgraded to it from a very budget laptop.

Mac's are not faster than PC's. PC's actually are the performance king. Just make sure you dont compare $500 budget pc to $1700 mac. The difference in waking up from sleep is likely because your PC laptop was running a mechanical hard drive, and the mac is likely on a solid state drive. Mac's arent a bad system they are very popular among photographers and videographers for example, but I just hate to see people assume its superior to pc because they are comparing it to a really crap computer. PC's have tons and tons of options in the market, where Apple keeps their stuff locked down pretty tight. Some budget pc's are really not built for speed, and are instead built to help your wallet.
Yes you can spend mega bucks on a Mac however I bought both Mini's for 300 or less a piece but I did put an SSD hard drive in both, not expensive to do. Both are late 2012 versions and run flawlessly, probably just jinxed myself. I see many of them already have the SSD installed in them for around the same price I payed. All boils down to personal preference.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yes you can spend mega bucks on a Mac however I bought both Mini's for 300 or less a piece but I did put an SSD hard drive in both, not expensive to do. Both are late 2012 versions and run flawlessly, probably just jinxed myself. I see many of them already have the SSD installed in them for around the same price I payed. All boils down to personal preference.
Well mechanical drives are quickly becoming a thing of the past, especially in laptops. You can pack a lot more storage in a small space, its drastically faster, it uses less power....There is no reason to ever buy a laptop these days with a mechanical drive. Mechanical drives are good if you just need big storage. In my PC gaming rig for example I still run one large mechanical drive all for screen capture and storage. I just need it for the big storage - speed isn't a concern. I run 2 m.2 ssd drives and a sata ssd along side it. The m.2 drives of course do most of the lifting, and is where I install and run all my games, OS, and software. My next system build I will go all m.2's Ithink, and drop sata ssd's entirely. I may upgrade motherboard and cpu when 11th gen intel lands later this year.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I get a chuckle out of the 'update' problems people have and I've had puters since tha Altair days, still have an 8008 system here 'somewhere'.' Did 'updates' by editing the hex files on floppy OS. Computers' today are a vicious spiral, 'they' promote a 'must have' ap, so you need the latest OS to run it, and then you find out you need the newest hardware to run the new OS.. It's all about getting coins from you. To use the new tax ap , gotta have Win10,which won't run on this PC(too old...not compatible BS)Running Win7U,NO upgrades on theis 14yr old desktop, zero problems,cept for the usualy USB krap. I still have a W98SE machine here as it has REAL comports,needed run custom communications equipment.
The only updates I have enabled are for the virus databases cause if it ain't broke, no need to fix !
And the old Commodore Vic20 I have still runs too.

It did not support HiDef though (lol - not even VGA), or HD's or SSD or WIFI or 3D rendering or USB, or NIC's or more than a Mb of RAM or just about ANYTHING needed today.

The main reason for all the updates can actually be traced back to lawyers, any idea why?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Well mechanical drives are quickly becoming a thing of the past, especially in laptops. You can pack a lot more storage in a small space, its drastically faster, it uses less power....There is no reason to ever buy a laptop these days with a mechanical drive. Mechanical drives are good if you just need big storage. In my PC gaming rig for example I still run one large mechanical drive all for screen capture and storage. I just need it for the big storage - speed isn't a concern. I run 2 m.2 ssd drives and a sata ssd along side it. The m.2 drives of course do most of the lifting, and is where I install and run all my games, OS, and software. My next system build I will go all m.2's Ithink, and drop sata ssd's entirely. I may upgrade motherboard and cpu when 11th gen intel lands later this year.
PC's. can't be beat for building systems. Mac users are not supposed to go beyond plugging them in. It is what turned me off to apple 25 years ago. No modifications and abandoning hardware. They want absolute control, which should leave a more stable system. There is no doubt a lot of people that just need the portal to FB, it is good they have a product catered to them.

Most of the "I went to a MAC and every issue is gone", comes from "I went from a 10+yo PC to a brand spanking new apple.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The main reason for all the updates can actually be traced back to lawyers, any idea why?

Maybe to confirm I've never,ever PAID for the right to run Windoze ????

I've still got 4, Tandy Model100s running here..one of the BEST laptops ever made....

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I knew m.1's were available for the Mini but haven't heard of the m.2"s. For the 2 of us speed isn't a big concern as we don't do any gaming only need a reliable computer which I wasn't getting from a windows computer. That being said it's been at least 12 or 13 years since we had windows so I'm sure they must have many improvements since then.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
My buddy just lost his favorite phone. It still runs great, it still looks great, Apple just abandoned it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I'm sure they must have many improvements since then.

not really...mostly 'bloatware'..forcing you to buy 'better' hardware...

BTW a lot of the 'slow' PCs can be tracked to having lots of programs(aps) 'open' and having autoupdate enabled on aps.... as well as 'scanning everything for viruses' on...

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I’m assuming your company controls what hardware is acceptable and what can be installed or the company supported computers. There are infinite possibilities in consumer Windows hardware/software. Compared to that ... yes, your systems are vanilla ... well, maybe French vanilla, but still vanilla. :D
My company deals with end users. End users use whatever they want.

Our servers are on standard gear. Our workstations run the gambit, but nothing vanilla about them .

Regardless, hundreds of thousands of trouble free updates.

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
re: I'm sure they must have many improvements since then.

not really...mostly 'bloatware'..forcing you to buy 'better' hardware...

BTW a lot of the 'slow' PCs can be tracked to having lots of programs(aps) 'open' and having autoupdate enabled on aps.... as well as 'scanning everything for viruses' on...
Yes and that is one of the problems I found when running windows. Knock on wood I've never had a virus (malware) running the Mini's. It's like a car or a truck, they're all good when they're working good.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I don't hate mac or apple, I just say its not for me personally. I think apple builds good products, I just dont care personally for their business model. I do acknowledge however that for some folks mac is a better fit - especially if they are big into the apple ecosystem already. My brother is a big mac guy. I have co workers who love the mac. I've built my own computer since I was 13 though, and am big into overclocking and tweaking. nearly every component of my pc is overclocked. The PC eco system is just so much more open ended, with a lot more options for the end-user, not to mention that if you are into gaming, as I am, there really is no substitute for the PC. I have over $5,000 in my gaming desktop. Nothing Apple makes will touch my pc in performance, especially in gaming performance. And to those who may know pc hardware, yes I am running an RTX 3090 :D

Reactions: 1 users