Windows 10 update

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
These days yes, back then, no. :)
Must have been a LONG time ago then, because dragging and dropping like this has been a thing since at least windows 95 lol. So, Its been a "thing" for at least 25 years in windows pc's. I'm not sure about the windows versions prior to 95 (1.0 , 3.0 etc). My experience on those early windows versions is limited. Windows 95 is where I really started my computing journey.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Now that's funny!! Damn Bill, is there nothing you haven't done??
I had a teacher in high school (architectural drafting, design, and blueprint reading) who taught me more than all of my others teachers combined. He was what I think of as a true renaissance man- skilled at everything he did, and he did almost everything. Fantastic teacher, (in academics & life) skilled motorcyclist, (senior AZ Trials Master for over 30yrs) fantastic RC pilot, both powered & gliders, (held hundreds of titles & awards) mechanic & fabricator, skilled map reader & pathfinder, family man, the list is almost endless.
He impressed on me that to be the best person you can be, you must strive to excel in everything you do, and the more things you do, the better, more well rounded person you will become.
I'm certainly not the best I can be, but I'm far better off having known him.
Here is a copy of his obituary. Note his military service.

Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I know there’s some sharp IT guys here. Do you think I can limp it through 2 months ( assuming I can get this update to work)?!?!
My suggestion would be to NOT do the update, DISABLE the updates and limp thru the next 2 months like that. (Do not connect to internet unless absolutely necessary and disconnect immediately after)

I have a Windows XP 64bit desktop which has not been 'updated' for several years.... works just fine for my wife to play solitare.

--------------------

ADDEMDUM: It is TRIVIAL to make a backup "image" of your entire hard-drive BEFORE doing any updates. In this way , you can always boot to the backup image if windows-recovery does not resolve an issue.

I have a stack of old hard-drives...each containing an "image" of a computer. In this way, I have a backup I can access in the case of major failure. After working for IBM for 40 years, if I learned anything, it is that a computer can crash HARD and never power-up again.

The ONLY good backup is one which is stored IN A DIFFERENT BUILDING than the computer it supports. In this way one is even protected from fire.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
My suggestion would be to NOT do the update, DISABLE the updates and limp thru the next 2 months like that. (Do not connect to internet unless absolutely necessary and disconnect immediately after)

I have a Windows XP 64bit desktop which has not been 'updated' for several years.... works just fine for my wife to play solitare.

--------------------

ADDEMDUM: It is TRIVIAL to make a backup "image" of your entire hard-drive BEFORE doing any updates. In this way , you can always boot to the backup image if windows-recovery does not resolve an issue.
1st, he's already in the middle of the update as you see in the screenshot, so its already in the install process. 2nd, he uses the laptop he says to do taxes, which means it needs to be online. I assume he is using something like turbo tax online to file. You also cant "disable" updates in windows 10. Windows xp and windows 10 are very different.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Must have been a LONG time ago then, because dragging and dropping like this has been a thing since at least windows 95 lol. So, Its been a "thing" for at least 25 years in windows pc's.
Yup, we're talking 088s.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I miss the old days, when there were no viruses, no updates, no Windows and the biggest issues were "don't fold your cards", "don't staple your cards" and when you finished punching your cards you realized that there was not an ink ribbon to print on your cards. So, you needed to make sure your cards didn't get shuffled!

1612973648042.png

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I miss the old days, when there were no viruses, no updates, no Windows and the biggest issues were "don't fold your cards", "don't staple your cards" and when you finished punching your cards you realized that there was not an ink ribbon to print on your cards. So, you needed to make sure your cards didn't get shuffled!

View attachment 54661
I recently finished a great biography on Alan Turing. I greatly admire the early engineering in these machines, but no thanks, I just can not get on board with wishing we could go back to this lol. I enjoy the progression of technology.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My only "official" computer software training consisted of Harvard Graphics, Word Perfect, and Lotus 123 back in the early 1990's. Thankfully the basics haven't changed drastically and I am able to sorta chug along and work my way through most of my present day computer "needs".

This MacAir has "Pages" for it's "Word Processor" and "Numbers" for it's "Spreadsheet" and while they are different, they are basically the same and I worked my way through them. I was even able to use the same Lotus formulas to build my spreadsheets.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Until my last day of work in 2008, I had to use those IBM cards every two weeks to put in my time in/time out for every day and hours worked handwritten and on a second IBM card the "job codes" or projects that we charged the hours to.
Some, times the pre punched cards had the holes where we were supposed to write in our entries.
Somebody in the engineering directorate got clever and wrote an Excel routine that would calculate the hours before writing them on the card by hand. Then somebody else got smarter so the Excel routine could directly print on the cards. However, the pre punched cards foiled that to a point. The card checker (usually me) had to manually "squeeze in" what was missing around pre punched holes.
Everybody have had a freaking computer on their desks for years and we were still using the same crap that I started using in 1977! o_O

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Until my last day of work in 2008, I had to use those IBM cards every two weeks to put in my time in/time out for every day and hours worked handwritten and on a second IBM card the "job codes" or projects that we charged the hours to.
Some, times the pre punched cards had the holes where we were supposed to write in our entries.
Somebody in the engineering directorate got clever and wrote an Excel routine that would calculate the hours before writing them on the card by hand. Then somebody else got smarter so the Excel routine could directly print on the cards. However, the pre punched cards foiled that to a point. The card checker (usually me) had to manually "squeeze in" what was missing around pre punched holes.
Everybody have had a freaking computer on their desks for years and we were still using the same crap that I started using in 1977! o_O
We used punch cards at work up until 2014. That's when we got a digital/ biometric time clock linked to the home office. Punch in a six digit code and then place your finger in the finger print checker.

I don't quite understand the need for the 6 digit code if they are reading your print anyway 🤔🤔🤔

I actually haven't used the biometric clock in about 11 months when they instituted the covid restrictions.

I clock in and out on the time and attendance portal with my laptop instead. I'll probably have to have them issue a new 6 digit pin if they want me to use the time clock. I can't remember the one I was assigned since it's been so long 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It amazes me my frustration with a Windows Update on an old laptop generated 71 responses.

It also amazes me what I learned along the way over 71 responses.

Collectively, you OTT guys are great at a lot of stuff, and I do like to learn. (y)(y)

At work, I'm like some folks mentioned; I'm an end-user.

I've gotten relatively accomplished at MS Office applications, including MS Access, along with some GIS stuff (ESRI), but I never got to know what made a computer work.

Heck, we didn't have a computer at home until 2006.

Computer came a year after we got indoor plumbing.... 😲 (Just kidding of course, but you guys make me feel like a caveman):rolleyes:

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
It amazes me my frustration with a Windows Update on an old laptop generated 71 responses.

It also amazes me what I learned along the way over 71 responses.

Collectively, you OTT guys are great at a lot of stuff, and I do like to learn. (y)(y)
All you have to do is ask a Windows question and the nerds start crawling out of the wood work.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don't quite understand the need for the 6 digit code if they are reading your print anyway 🤔🤔🤔
It only reads a few points on your finger, not really enough to differentiate you from a few others. In other words it only knows it is you since you put in the code and then verifies that your daily scan is same as what is stored with that number.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'll tell you whats frustrating it's our internet here, at best just over 2Mbps but most of the time under 1Mbps and they have the nerve to call it high speed, come on Starlink.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I'll tell you whats frustrating it's our internet here, at best just over 2Mbps but most of the time under 1Mbps and they have the nerve to call it high speed, come on Starlink.
You can set up a Google Alert for Starlink so you get the news about them as it pertains to your area. They are doing a beta test for Ohio in my county that was supposed to start in January but is getting pushed to March. I've been on their wait list since September so hopefully I get the invite to participate. We have traditional cable providers within a couple miles but they will not pay the railroad to tunnel under the tracks. I'm tired of getting the flyers and emails that says we are in your area, sign up for 200Mb service for 44.95 and when you call, they tell you sorry, wrong side of the tracks. Crap, tell me I have to sign up for 5yrs at double that price. I'm still saving 90.00/month in fees

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: can't disable W10 updates....
yes you can..,well I diabled it..My 'W10/w7U' machine does NOT update W10 or W7U, hasn't since I created it 2 years ago as I knew then TurboTax 'requires' W10 to run this year.....

Re: teletypes. I finally tossed out my special kit of tools used to repair Model 33 teletypes, course NOW I wish I had one...found my homebuilt PC interface,cept PCs don't have REAL comports anymore.....

re: spreadsheets .I still have floppies of the original spreadsheet 'Visicalc', and it works fine.Sadliy(?) I can use it better than eXcel , for some silly reason.

re: 'slow' internet speed . All ISPs can 'throttle' or control YOUR interenet connection, have so from day one. since your connection is shared, everyone gets a 'piece of the pie', it's not exclusive to you alone. It's one reasons they say 'up to xxxMB speed' or such. You have to think of the net as a huge 'party line' where everyone has to share. Unlike my remote energy control systems that used Bell line that were dedicated and hackerproof.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You can set up a Google Alert for Starlink so you get the news about them as it pertains to your area. They are doing a beta test for Ohio in my county that was supposed to start in January but is getting pushed to March. I've been on their wait list since September so hopefully I get the invite to participate. We have traditional cable providers within a couple miles but they will not pay the railroad to tunnel under the tracks. I'm tired of getting the flyers and emails that says we are in your area, sign up for 200Mb service for 44.95 and when you call, they tell you sorry, wrong side of the tracks. Crap, tell me I have to sign up for 5yrs at double that price. I'm still saving 90.00/month in fees
Yes thanks, I've been signed up for it since Wolfman told me about it last year but still waiting. Tried signing up again earlier this week and got a reply saying they would send me an email as soon as it was available in my area.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We have traditional cable providers within a couple miles but they will not pay the railroad to tunnel under the tracks.
That is a bit more involved than most folks are aware of. The railroad "owns" the space above the RR all of the way to the moon, and below it all of the way to hell. It would be simpler to get a signed permit to bore under the Empire State Building than under a RR. I dealt with such during a previous life. :(

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: We have traditional cable providers within a couple miles but they will not pay the railroad to tunnel under the tracks.

one way around the RR is to have the Cable guys install a wireless 'repeater' on both sides of the tracks....