Windows 10 update

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
he uses the laptop he says to do taxes, which means it needs to be online.
Your grasp on computer security is weak.

I use a computer to run turbotax.... and DO NOT need to be online. I print the forms and mail them.

For TT updates, connecting to internet MOMENTARILY would be just fine.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Of course, the problem that people are worried about regarding Windows 10 Updates is an incomplete update that prevents the computer from booting. In that case, you can’t remove an update. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: In that case, you can’t remove an update.
yes you can, though it takes a few minutes... most (all ?) laptops have the OEM SW in a 'hidden' partition of the HD, simply reboot into 'setup', choose whatever the OEM calls that 'partition' and it'll run as bought.
I've got both W10 and w7 on the other machine's SSD HD ,so far no problems.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
re: We have traditional cable providers within a couple miles but they will not pay the railroad to tunnel under the tracks.

one way around the RR is to have the Cable guys install a wireless 'repeater' on both sides of the tracks....
I looked in to that and they really do not want to do it. They told me I would have to fund the environmental impact study claiming that it would cost 30k to do the study because they consider the drainage by the tracks to be wetlands, just to see if they could put in the infrastructure. Then if they can and to do the construction. I would be on the hook for that as well as paying for all permits and construction costs. I asked for an estimate of construction and that was close to 50k. This did not include the 5k they want to run from the pole by the road to my house. (1500’). So any time Spectrum says they support rural high speed internet, I call BS.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
re: In that case, you can’t remove an update.
yes you can, though it takes a few minutes... most (all ?) laptops have the OEM SW in a 'hidden' partition of the HD, simply reboot into 'setup', choose whatever the OEM calls that 'partition' and it'll run as bought.
That isn’t removing an update. That is restarting from scratch.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
In a lot of rural areas, wired interent won’t ever make sense. However, they could add more capacity and towers to the mobile wireless and let everyone use “cell” modems similar to the ATT Home Internet. They’d only have to run wires to the towers.

Bonus, there would be better cell coverage areas. There are still a lot of rural areas that have zero cell coverage.

Fwiw, I run my entire house off of an ATT Home Internet modem for the price of a cell phone. No, it’s not as fast as wired internet, but in my area, it works just fine for streaming/tv and obviously, internet.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
After a recent college basketball game, the coach spotted a cell phone lying on the floor. He picked it up and handed it to one of the referees, saying, "Here's your phone."
"What makes you think its mine?" the ref asked.
"Easy," the coach replied. "It says you missed 13 calls!"

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
There's only one thing worse then our internet here and that's cell service even with a $500.00 boaster but it's one beautiful spot to live so yeah it's worth it.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
The ONLY good backup is one which is stored IN A DIFFERENT BUILDING than the computer it supports. In this way one is even protected from fire, theft, lightning, and an array of other disasters.
fixed it for you :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: That isn’t removing an update. That is restarting from scratch.

At least it becomes a bootable, working system. From there, you can sequentially reinstall the updates as required. ( They're all stored on the HD) Simply create a batch file to do it if you can't find the one Windows uses. I don't know what W10 was put on the laptop..it might only have been 3 or 4 updates. I do know it can be done as a test PC here has gone 'back in time' from W7U to W98SE

michellepowell

Jul 3, 2023
USA Seattle
It's been a while since then, and I hope you've already resolved your Windows update concerns. However, let me offer some general advice for similar situations.
Windows updates can sometimes take longer, especially on older laptops. However, it doesn't necessarily mean your computer is on its last legs. It could be related to various factors like system specifications, available resources, or the complexity of the update itself.
In case you're considering a replacement or an upgrade, did you know you can optimize your Windows 10 experience with some affordable Windows keys? It might come in handy if you decide to upgrade your operating system.

Last edited:

Gtechalax

Aug 30, 2024
UK
I feel your pain—older laptops can be such a gamble with updates. I’ve had similar issues where it felt like the computer was stuck in update limbo. Sometimes letting it run overnight helps, but if it’s still sluggish, it might be a sign the laptop is nearing the end of its road.