ZD331 zero turn, will not crank.

Danthemanwiththevan

Equipment
zd331
Jul 24, 2021
Aust
The key lights up instrument lights ,fuel pump hums, glow plugs light up, but will not crank, Horn has been disconnected and seat switch bridged. I can put the key in the run position and arc the starter motor, and it will start and run perfectly. when i try to turn it off the key has no affect and i have to manually push the motor cut off lever to kill it. Safety switches all test OK, the 3 relays all test OK, the fuses seem to be OK, Battery terminals tight and earth lead to chassis tight. Seems to be the ignition switch but it will not hotwire if the ignition switch is in the off position, and the fuel pump turns on with the first stop and the glow plugs with the second, but no crank on the third. so i am guessing it works??? anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
" when i try to turn it off the key has no affect and i have to manually push the motor cut off lever to kill it "

sounds as IF key switch is bad ........... since you have checked all safety switches

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This is what i am thinking to, it just seems strange that the first 3 stops all work correctly when trying to start up?
This mower has 5 safety switches, the seat, the parking brake, each of the two steer control levers, and the PTO lever. The switches signal a logic module, so when all conditions are met, it will crank or shut off.
I would start by testing the Parking Brake safety switch, it can cause several unique scenarios.

Danthemanwiththevan

Equipment
zd331
Jul 24, 2021
Aust
This mower has 5 safety switches, the seat, the parking brake, each of the two steer control levers, and the PTO lever. The switches signal a logic module, so when all conditions are met, it will crank or shut off.
I would start by testing the Parking Brake safety switch, it can cause several unique scenarios.
Yes i have tested them with a multi meter ohms and it is open and closed, same goes for all the others except the seat i bridged that one so i can jump it easily

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
How old is the battery? How dirty are the terminals?

Start by Pulling the terminals, clean the terminals and the posts with an appropriate wire brush, re-install, test.

Greenco

Equipment
ZD331
Jun 4, 2024
Louisiana
The key lights up instrument lights ,fuel pump hums, glow plugs light up, but will not crank, Horn has been disconnected and seat switch bridged. I can put the key in the run position and arc the starter motor, and it will start and run perfectly. when i try to turn it off the key has no affect and i have to manually push the motor cut off lever to kill it. Safety switches all test OK, the 3 relays all test OK, the fuses seem to be OK, Battery terminals tight and earth lead to chassis tight. Seems to be the ignition switch but it will not hotwire if the ignition switch is in the off position, and the fuel pump turns on with the first stop and the glow plugs with the second, but no crank on the third. so i am guessing it works??? anyone have any ideas on what to try next?
Did you resolve this problem? If so what was it? I have same exact issue.
Thanks