zd236 PTO selector shaft stuck.

GreenAcresTN

Equipment
z236s
Jun 27, 2021
USA
I have a Kutoba that I bought during the winter. At the time the PTO engaged just fine. But now after sitting, the PTO selector shaft is stuck solid, but the linkage is all fine. Does that mean the selector shaft is bound up due to rust/corrosion, or is it often something else inside the trans? It is humid here. Thanks so much for any advice. Trying to get out there and mow but this happened.

I've been soaking the areas where the selector shaft connects to the transmission in WD-40, but don't want to cause damage from trying to work it loose if it's not just weather corrosion. Looks like there is enough gear oil in the casing. I've been at this all day. That damn shaft wont budge, I've been lightly tapping with breaker bar and trying to work back n forth with handle. Thing is nice though... If I could cut.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would suggest you get a better penetrating oil like PB BLASTER or deep creep.

I would suggest you try to rotate it if you can get any good grip on the shaft.

It is probably corrosion as you think.

GreenAcresTN

Equipment
z236s
Jun 27, 2021
USA
I would suggest you get a better penetrating oil like PB BLASTER or deep creep.

I would suggest you try to rotate it if you can get any good grip on the shaft.

It is probably corrosion as you think.
Thanks Russell. Just got inside from finishing mowing, and saw your reply. This whole issue was solved with WD-40 silver can and a LOT of torque on the PTO selector shaft with a large adjustable wrench. Then working back and forth while adding more WD. Good luck to all the headaches out there and thanks for the advice, it was correct.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have discussed this before and there is a permanent fix.

take the shaft out of the transmission and use a brillo pad to buff it, and apply a tiny bit of grease to the valve and it's o-ring, a tiny bit meaning just an extremely light coating that you can't really see much, but you can feel it with dry clean hands. You get the idea. Now take the filter off of the front of the transmission and locate a hole behind the filter, I think it's about 3/16" diameter. put the shaft back in along with it's retainer, bolt it all tight and make sure the shaft (valve) turns FREELY in the bore. If not you gotta do it again, and figure out why it isn't free (trans case bore damage?). If it's free, turn the valve until you can line up the hole in the valve with the hole in the transmission case behind the filter. Stick a drill bit in there to line it up and to hold it while you adjust the lever.

to adjust the lever the valve MUST be held tight in it's "on" position. With it held, you can now put the pto lever into "on" position (all the way to it's on detent) and adjust the lever by bending the pin until it lines up with the pto valve. Once it's lined up, put the clip on, remove the drill bit, reinstall (or replace) the filter, and start the engine after turning the pto OFF as you normally would.