Work light fuse

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
I have read through lots of posts here about work lights and most are saying the same thing about the factory fuse, 20A. I looked at my fuse panel and the owners manual and it has a 5A fuse for the work light. Is Kubota's wiring heavy enough that I could use a 20A fuse instead or would I be better off putting a small fuse panel in and using it for my accessories? The answer maybe in one of the posts on here, but I read several and didn't see an answer to my question. Thanks for the responses to a first time tractor owner and forum member

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
DO NOT PUT A BIGGER FUSE IN A CIRCUIT THAT HAS A SMALLER ONE! FIRE MAY RESULT! Sorry for the strong wording but that is something you should never do. The idea of using an inline fuse from the battery is a much better idea. Just keep the fuse holder near the battery and run your power to the switch and your load to the accessory. Make sure to protect your wiring and zip tie it securely to avoid chafing. Also check what amperage your accessory pulls and select the proper wire for that load as well as the proper fuse. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks for the response. Trying to figure out why everyone else has a 20A fuse and my tractor has a 5A. I will run the wiring directly from the battery with an inline fuse, relay and switches. Best I can figure, if I use all the lights(5), I will be pulling a little over 14 Amps. I may end up just using 3 lights, depends on their cast.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the response. Trying to figure out why everyone else has a 20A fuse and my tractor has a 5A. I will run the wiring directly from the battery with an inline fuse, relay and switches. Best I can figure, if I use all the lights(5), I will be pulling a little over 14 Amps. I may end up just using 3 lights, depends on their cast.
Doc,

another route to consider :
Large wire feeding - place several lights on DIFFERENT circuits......each fused ;)

Attachments

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Doc,

another route to consider :
Large wire feeding - place several lights on DIFFERENT circuits......each fused ;)
That's almost identical to what I did with mine. I put a 30 amp relay feeding a terminal strip in just about the same location. The relay kicks on and off with the ignition.

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
I will have 2 switches. One for the forward facing light and one for the rear light and rock lights. If the cast is enough, I won't be using rock lights.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
DocHolladay........I have a 20A fuse and two 20A switches for the front and rear work lights.......but mine were dealer installed. So they ran the wiring right off the battery post on the starter and it has a fuse block right there.

So I wouldn't put a big fuse in yours unless you know for sure what you have.

They also used 14 gauge wire for mine.

If you need bigger run your own harness like that to be safe.

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have plenty of wire from where we rewired the boats electronics, lights and trolling motor several years ago. I am thinking of using the head lights to trigger the relays for power as I won't need the work lights unless my head lights are on.