Winch for receiver mount

BrentR

Equipment
Kubota LX2620
Aug 20, 2024
Haliburton, Ontario
Hi. New tractor owner and hoping for some advice.
I have a trail that is steepish and thinking a winch maybe be handy to have in case I need to pull myself up a little. I was thinking it could be used in my 3pt receiver (with an appropriate mount).
Thanks

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
The 3PT hitch isn't the best spot to mount a winch, but it can be done. A few things to consider:

-The 3PT system has strength limitations and it's possible it could be damaged during the winching process. A lot of winches have enough power to bend and break tractor parts (been down that road once).
-They are current hogs. If your battery is in the front, you have to run #2 copper to the rear. I'd suggest an Anderson quick disconnect plug. That's what I use and it's perfect for that.
-It's better to winch from the front than rear.

I fabbed a frame mounted hitch for my winch. If you have a loader on your machine, then this may not be an option. If you wind up using your winch for log skidding and tree felling, then you should go a step further and fab a subframe. That's what I did and use when I need to anchor the machine off to something

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. if it's so steep you need a winch to get up.... have you thought about HOW are you going to get back DOWN ??
Weight distribution,balance, power, etc. are different between going up and going down so you have to know HOW your ride will handle ! If 'trail' isn't level left to right, it can be easy to flip over a tractor and as a 'new tractor owner' ,I'm assuming you don't have any experience driving one ? While 4WD and ATV experience will help tractors are different.
Just want you to be careful and THINK before you do an 'oopsy' !!!