Who owns what ?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK that's a bit misleading, but the question is simple as far as I see it. Who owns and is responsible for the over head power line from the meter to the weather head, the power company or the home owner? I was taught that what ever is on the load side of the meter belongs to the home owner, and the supply side of and including the meter, the power company.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OK that's a bit misleading, but the question is simple as far as I see it. Who owns and is responsible for the over head power line from the meter to the weather head, the power company or the home owner? I was taught that what ever is on the load side of the meter belongs to the home owner, and the supply side of and including the meter, the power company.
IMHO from the meter to the weather head is the responsibility/ownership of the property owner.
To give my theory a test: ......install a meter socket only, and then call the power company for a hookup.
I think THAT will definitely answer your question.:D

Reactions: 1 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
As an electrician, I always was responsible for installation of the meter base and the wiring from it to the panel, and had to install the weather head or the down base to below surface, with pigtails from meter base sticking out which energy company attached to...

Reactions: 1 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
In my area power company owns the line from the pole to weatherhead. If the weatherhead mast gets ripped off the house the PoCo won’t reconnect until an electrician reconnects the mast to house.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
When I built my house 23 years ago, I remember having to have an electrician come out and put in the "temporary outlet" so the carpenters and such had something to plug into.

I am pretty/mostly sure that the Power company was responsible for running the power to that "mast"

Then the electrician wired it up from there.

I have no idea what the "technical terms" are though.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Mine is underground from pole to meter and I own it. Found out a couple years back when the line corroded in the middle of winter and it cost several thousand dollars to replace after loosing a phase. If it was overhead the power company would have been responsible.

• Wow

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Locations and power companies have different boundaries. I had a building with a power pole with transformer 25' from the weatherhead. A limb was was resting on the overhead line. I called the power co. to get it trimmed, but nothing happened. Over a period of a year and half and three or four more calls with no response I called the local distribution center and told them I was going to trim the limb because I was done waiting on them.

The dispatch lady told me a person would be there at a particular time to disconnect the power. When the service truck showed up I was told from the transformer on was my responsibility. He only needs to disconnect at the transformer and would come back when I was finished to reconnect.

When I explained how I had tried to get a resolution for over a year and never was given direction as what to do he said if you don't mind I can trim this tree and it would be easier and quicker then me disconnecting and returning. I drug the limbs out of his way as he worked from his bucket truck and we were finished in half an hour.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets -,don’t think we’ve answered your question directly.

Probably depends on area and utility.

My experience is the utility owns the overhead to the weatherhead.

That said, they will not repair it if the service is pulled off the house, as that involves the weatherhead and entrance down to the meter.

Neighbor had service pulled off the house years ago. Utility not interested.

He had to hire an electrician to re- hang the weatherhead on the house.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Been a while since I've done a residential service but I believe it's still the same:

Overhead service - Customer installs and owns from the weatherhead down, including an anchor point for the power company. Customer needs to leave tails at the head for the power company to connect with their lines.

Underground service - Customer installs and owns from the meter base and for there in. Owner provides an empty conduit stubbed below grade. Power company installs cable in owner-provided trench and connects to line side of meter base.

We did larger projects in different areas and it varied with the utility company. Some places we provided empty conduits between our gear and the transformer owned by the power company. Some places we were responsible for wiring from our gear to the transformer pad, but only connected our end. For Medium and HV services we normally provided a switch and all load side wiring, and the power company pulled their cables in raceways we provided and terminated them in our switch.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm curious why this has come up? I think over head the homeowner is responsible for installing the meter base, mast, weatherhead and wiring up the mast and out the weatherhead. The power company connects to the pigtails at the weatherhead. The meter is the power company's. If the mast is damaged, it's up to the homeowner to have it repaired before the power company will reconnect.

For my recent underground connection, I set the meter base and ran PVC conduit from the base to within 3' of the power pole. The power company ran conduit up the pole, ran the feeder cable and connected both ends, and installed the meter.

In either case, it all has to meet the utility's requirements.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here we have a co-op electric company so technically if you are in the co-op you own a portion of it.
But here anything after the meter is yours, everything before it is theirs.
Underground or overhead it doesn't matter.

trevoroni

Equipment
B6000
May 24, 2023
Canada
Here we are responsible from the meter to the panel in the house however it gets there.
But I also had to pay $11,000 to have 1 pole and 30ft of overhead line, a transformer and the meter installed. Even as part of an REA. And that was 10 years ago.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
In the section of CT where I live, the power company is responsible for the power on the pole through the Weatherhead down the PVC pipe to the underground and into the meter socket. I am responsible for the meter socket to the inside of the home When I called about the trees growing into the transformer that is on the pole that services my house, I was informed that trees growing into the wires were my problem. I asked what happens if when I am cutting down the tree and the wire comes down with it and I get electrocuted, who was responsible? The response was that they would disconnect the power on the pole where it enters my property and then I could cut the trees. I have 6 poles on the property that bring the power to the house, and that makes for an interesting problem. So far they haven't trimmed the trees, and I haven't done anything either. Last fall on the main street to my home a tree had grown into the transformer and caught fire and set the pole on fire. They had to replace the pole and the transformer. The fire department stayed and watched the pole burn until the power company came and cut the power line to the pole. The interesting thing is that the fuse on the poles had blown and everyone was without power.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Generally it's the power company to the weatherhead, homeowner from the weatherhead down excepting the meter.
That's how it is here. Example: Our Duaghters line was taken out by a tree during a storm. The meter base, conduit & weatherhead torn from wall . Electrician had to rebuild with permit/inspection since she lives in a city.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hi voltage line to the transformer is the utility's problem. After the transformer "low voltage" is my problem. Sometimes the utility owns the transformer. I own and am responsible for the utility pole on my property. In the good old days the utility would give me one free pole on my property, now it's my problem.

If I have to do work on my side of the transformer I call the utility and they disconnect for service.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The question was asked due to a letter with the power company logo and address about an insurance policy for power lines. On the load side is mine and my responsibility and I pay for repairs. But the reading of the letter stated that lines to the house ,should something happen, I would have to pay for.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The question was asked due to a letter with the power company logo and address about an insurance policy for power lines. On the load side is mine and my responsibility and I pay for repairs. But the reading of the letter stated that lines to the house ,should something happen, I would have to pay for.
Sounds fishy to me.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
When I had my problem and had to replace the undground wires I contacted my insurance company to see if there was any coverage. They said no underground utilities are not covered under homeowners policies but I could buy a separate policy for the future issues.