Wanting to buy L3200

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have done my shopping and comparing and I am settled on the L3200. I will get the 4 in 1 bucket and the backhoe attachment as well. I am using this for my 12 acres of private land. I will also add the 5 foot box blade attachment for now. I have a Scag Mower for the grass, and do not see getting a new mower deck unless I come across a great deal on brush hog for another field that might get mowed later in time.
I am unsure if I should get the HST, or get the Gear Drive model.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
HST versus a Gear trasmission has been a much heated conversation on the forum. I have always owned a gear transmission and have used many tractors and other equipment with HST and I dont particually care for HST. I look at is as the gear transmission has been a time tested transmission that as been on tractors since the dawn of time. I feel like I have more controll over a gear tractor over an HST. Also the price tag on a gear is usually much less then an HST.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
For me I'd want the HST if for no other reason so I get live PTO. For some that isn't important, but it sure is nice lots of times to be able to stop the tractor and keep the implement running!
Ed

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
The way it was explained to me - by the dealer and others who have owned both trannys - is that if you're going to be doing a lot of FEL work - then the HST trans is the way to go. A LOT less shifting and just more productivity at the end of the day. However - if you plan on using the tractor for more "field work" then a gear trans would be more suitable. Myself - I plan on using my loader A LOT and don't see myself doing any significant field work - so I went with the HST. I've talked to a ton of people and the reliability of the HST is as good as the Gear trans. My dealer who rents out Kubotas (also) says that he used to repair the clutches in his rental units all the time when they had Gear trannys - but since going to the HST configuration - he has done nothing but routine maintenance on them. So, I guess the HST is a little more forgiving to those "newbies" on the tractor.

Good Luck.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
For me I'd want the HST if for no other reason so I get live PTO. For some that isn't important, but it sure is nice lots of times to be able to stop the tractor and keep the implement running!
Ed
eserv,
What my dealer tells me is as long as you do not press the clutch all the way to floor, you have live PTO. You only need to press the clutch half way to disengage the gear!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Some gear models come with a 2 stage clutch and a live pto, and yes you are correct only press the clutch in half way to disengage the gear. If I remember correctly the L3800 and L4400 both have live Pto's

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I just found out the L3200 is not available in Canada with Gear trans and the L3800 does have live PTO. We haven't brought in any gear drive L3800's to check!

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I went back to my dealer again today and sat on the L3200, L3800 and the leftover L3400. I went back inside and told the dealer I wanted the L3200 with Gear Drive and R4 tires. I go back on Wednesday to set up the paperwork on it.
I am getting the 4 in 1 loader bucket, BH77 Backhoe attachment and 5 foot Box Blade. ;)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
AWESOME!

That's how I would spec out and build a tractor. I might even be the odd man out and order one 2 wheel drive to cut down on coast. If someone gets a 2wd stuck and cant get themselves out with a FEL then they should not be a tractor owner in the first palce.

I'm just sticking with whats worked best for my business over the years. My dad has a Kubota L275 2wd gear tranny and a FEL with live pto and its served him well the last 30 years. I own a Kubota B6100E 2wd gear tranny and sadly mine is not a live pto but I've managed to work with it for 10 years and it has suited my needs in the past. I want to get a larger one some day with a FEL

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am really getting anxious for the new toy. I am getting this just to have on my property to help meed the work I need to do around here.
The dealer says it may take a couple weeks to get in the 4 in 1 bucket and backhoe attachment, but I don't mind as long as the machine has my name on it.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Just talked to my dealer and had a couple more questions for him about the PTO. He tells me the L3400 might be a better way to go. I don't think I can remember everything he says about the difference, but he made sense to me at the time.
Instead of the L3200, I can get the L3400 for a few hundred less. Both are Gear Drive.
Any thoughts or advise?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Go with the one that saves you some money! Take the left over saving and have the rear tired ballasted if they are not already!

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Go with the one that saves you some money! Take the left over saving and have the rear tired ballasted if they are not already!
He told me that they fill the back tires for you at no charge!
The other companies wanted $300 for that.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
One thing I would get clarification on is that PTO. According to my service manuals the L3200 gear does NOT have continuous live pto but the L3400 does (as does the L3800) otherwise the L3200 is functionally the same just not quite as pretty.
Ed

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
If I am doing most of my work in the woods clearing and removing stumps, building a small pond and clean up, would it be better to get the HST or Gear drive?
And also, how important is it to have the live PTO?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
For shear convenience I'd go with the HST. They are almost bulletproof in Kubota's. Also your clutch and brakes will last much longer because you'll hardly use them! Only downside I see is you can't pull start a HST!
Live PTO is important where I live because folks like to run snowblowers and rough cut mowers.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Just got back from the dealer. We did the paperwork for the L3200 HST.
Got the 4 in 1 bucket, BH77 Backhoe with mechanical thumb.
I was going to get the 5 foot box blade, but decided on the thumb for now. I can always go back and get the box later.
Well, it turns out that we are getting the 5 foot box blade with the tractor after all. Made a super deal with the dealer. Everything was ordered last Thursday, and should be at the dealer in about two weeks or so.

Last edited: