v1702 to a v2203

larryb

Mar 2, 2018
Philo
hey guys I purchased a l2850 and trying to find out what i need to do to put in a v2203 .I can get one from a trucking company off a reffer unit. and have seen it can be adapted to fit in place of v1702 just wondering what needs swapped out. Thanks any info will be Appreciated....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Read this thread completely:
Swapping out a V1702 IDI (indirect injection) to a V2203 DI (direct injection) in a 743 Bobcat is much easier than swapping those out in a tractor.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27513

NOTE: There is 4 distinctly different V2203's that were produced, and then there were variations within those models.
Some V2203's are IDI, these are rare, I've never seen one in person.

The V2203's have some differences in the Fuel injector lines between versions, which will make it hard or impossible to use the stock intake on some.
You will need to make sure it has the right fuel cam in it to drive the hydraulic pump gear.
You will need to swap the front cover, and have the bell housing machined to fit the V2203.
You will need to drill the dip stick hole, and if you want the mechanical lift pump, you will need to drill that too, or use an electric.

larryb

Mar 2, 2018
Philo
thanks for the info .will do some more investigating cuz its hard to find a low hr 1702.And I can get a 2203.Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
thanks for the info .will do some more investigating cuz its hard to find a low hr 1702.And I can get a 2203.Thanks
More like impossible to find any V1702DI engine, you van use a V1902DI in it's place.
And don't get sucked into a V1702IDI as they are a different enough engine to give you issues.

What's wrong with the V1702 in it?

larryb

Mar 2, 2018
Philo
the crankshaft is pretty much toast .tractor was owned by a campground and an employee ran tractor low on oil when we pulled pan crankshaft journals are blue it got pretty hot...

Darcy Marciszyn

Equipment
Bobcat
Nov 3, 2021
Saskatchewan Canada
Read this thread completely:
Swapping out a V1702 IDI (indirect injection) to a V2203 DI (direct injection) in a 743 Bobcat is much easier than swapping those out in a tractor.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27513

NOTE: There is 4 distinctly different V2203's that were produced, and then there were variations within those models.
Some V2203's are IDI, these are rare, I've never seen one in person.

The V2203's have some differences in the Fuel injector lines between versions, which will make it hard or impossible to use the stock intake on some.
You will need to make sure it has the right fuel cam in it to drive the hydraulic pump gear.
You will need to swap the front cover, and have the bell housing machined to fit the V2203.
You will need to drill the dip stick hole, and if you want the mechanical lift pump, you will need to drill that too, or use an electric.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i have access to v2203-E would the fuel cam need to be swapped to replace v1702 in a 743 bobcat
No because the fuel cam does not run the Hydraulic pump in a Bobcat setup.
Depending on the version you might either have to
1: Use the lift pump attached to the back of the fuel cam (if equipped), Best setup.
2: Add a low pressure electric fuel pump
3: Drill the block for the lift pump ( requires exact location and drill size)
You will have to rework the back mounting plate and use the V1702 Oil pan and pick up.
You will also probably need to drill and install a dipstick, not real hard to do.
I suggest reworking the plate to fit the V2203 Starter, it's stronger, smaller and much better than the V1702 starter.
You can also use the V2203 shut down solenoid with just a couple simple wiring changes, make it really nice to start then shut the key off to kill it instead of having to pull a stop cable.

If the engine is an DI engine and depending on the exact version, you'll need to get a different intake or rework the air filter pipe, as the V1702 intake will not work properly.

If you need any more info or help with something, just send me a PM and I should be able to help.

Last edited:

Darcy Marciszyn

Equipment
Bobcat
Nov 3, 2021
Saskatchewan Canada
No because the fuel cam does not run the Hydraulic pump in a Bobcat setup.
Depending on the version you might either have to
1: Use the lift pump attached to the back of the fuel cam (if equipped), Best setup.
2: Add a low pressure electric fuel pump
3: Drill the block for the lift pump ( requires exact location and drill size)
You will have to rework the back mounting plate and use the V1702 Oil pan and pick up.
You will also probably need to drill and install a dipstick, not real hard to do.
I suggest reworking the plate to fit the V2203 Starter, it's stronger, smaller and much better than the V1702 starter.
You can also use the V2203 shut down solenoid with just a couple simple wiring changes, make it really nice to start then shut the key off to kill it instead of having to pull a stop cable.

If the engine is an DI engine and depending on the exact version, you'll need to get a different intake or rework the air filter pipe, as the V1702 intake will not work properly.

If you need any more info or help with something, just send me a PM and I should be able to help.
well thank you so much ,I'm new to this group how do i pm you?