V1505 misfire and white smoke

crash734

Equipment
Lastec Articulator 3682
Jun 7, 2024
Florissant, Colorado
I have a Lastec Articulator 3682 which is a zero turn mower with the kubota V-1505 in it.

Today I was out mowing and out of no where it started running really rough trying to kill itself and puffing white smoke. I killed the mower deck and it seemed to help to where I was able to limp it back to the house. At idle it vibrates really bad as if it has a misfire. When I shut it off and go to crank it back up it takes forever to fire backup and puffs lots of black smoke in the process of trying. When it does fire, if I increase the rpms, it doesn't rev up as high as usual.

I'm hoping it's just an injector. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to test or how to test the injectors? Is there a way to do an injector kill test to determine which one is bad, if that's the problem? Any recommendations on where to purchase injectors if thats the problem? The machine currently has just over 1700 hours on it and I've only owned it for about 2 years. I've only put maybe 30 hours on it since I purchased it.

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
I would start by pulling out your injection pump (fuel) you probably have a bad spring or possibility a missing screw that hold the slider plate on the side

I would also highly recommend doing a compression test just to ensure before rebuilding and or replacing injector pump and or injectors

I work on kubota everyday, thats where I would start

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore info

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Today I was out mowing and out of no where it started running really rough trying to kill itself and puffing white smoke
Check your coolant level and see that the radiator is clean.
You can loosen the injection lines one at a time at the injector in the cylinder head. If loosening one does not make any difference in the engine's sound, that cylinder is the problem. If you buy new injectors, get them from a Kubota industrial engine dealer. Do not order them from eBay or Amazon.
Perform a compression test through the glow plug ports.
Check the simple things first, don't jump in and start pulling pieces off.

Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would start by pulling out your injection pump (fuel) you probably have a bad spring or possibility a missing screw that hold the slider plate on the side

I would also highly recommend doing a compression test just to ensure before rebuilding and or replacing injector pump and or injectors

I definitely would not start with pulling the injection pump!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Taking into consideration

Well.... Bicycle you could start at the injectors but you'll have to send them out for testing at the laboratory but that normally cost around 300 and takes between 1 to 3 days normally.

Pulling the injection pump is only 4 hard fuel lines and 4 hex head screws for the pump, a simple inspection that doesn't take long.

This is why I personally would start here and your all ready removing the hard fuel lines to remove the injectors anyways so its literally just 4 hex head machine screws to remove.

At the end of the day your going to do it your way no matter what

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Taking into consideration

Well.... Bicycle you could start at the injectors but you'll have to send them out for testing at the laboratory but that normally cost around 300 and takes between 1 to 3 days normally.

Pulling the injection pump is only 4 hard fuel lines and 4 hex head screws for the pump, a simple inspection that doesn't take long.

This is why I personally would start here and your all ready removing the hard fuel lines to remove the injectors anyways so its literally just 4 hex head machine screws to remove.

At the end of the day your going to do it your way no matter what

Attachments

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Comments like that had better stop right now!!!!!!!!!!!
That would be my stupid phone and auto correct...... Was not trying to be disrespectful or rude in anyway, my sincere apologies

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yes compression test first. If low, check valve clearance. If that's ok, move onto why it's low. Bent rod(s) worn cylinder, holed piston, etc.

overheating is the #1 cause of low compression, so keep that in mind. Look at the radiator and make sure it's clean externally (Mowers often restrict the air that can get through the radiator), loose fan belts, missing fan blades, low coolant are all possibilities.

I don't know what I'd suspect any injectors or the pump right away; at least not based on my experience. They don't fail that often.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That would be my stupid phone and auto correct...... Was not trying to be disrespectful or rude in anyway, my sincere apologies
I read that comment a few times and finally came to the conclusion TECH101 meant to type "basically" and it corrected to "bicycle". No offense taken by me, just modern technology at work.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I read that comment a few times and finally came to the conclusion TECH101 meant to type "basically" and it corrected to "bicycle". No offense taken by me, just modern technology at work.
I was trying to figure out what that ”Bicycle” meant. It did sound like a jab but I couldn’t figure out why it was a jab or what it was intended to refer to. I even looked back to make sure a D2 Caterpillar was what I thought it was…

It was a long way from that to a bicycle but I assumed it was an obscure jab that I didn’t understand.

Your solution is much easier to understand.

• Haha

TECH101

Equipment
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
I was trying to figure out what that ”Bicycle” meant. It did sound like a jab but I couldn’t figure out why it was a jab or what it was intended to refer to. I even looked back to make sure a D2 Caterpillar was what I thought it was…

It was a long way from that to a bicycle but I assumed it was an obscure jab that I didn’t understand.

Your solution is much easier to understand.
Sorry guys, my phone does this often maybe its time to get an older phone instead without all this extra stuff that makes you look bad lol

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sorry guys, my phone does this often maybe its time to get an older phone instead without all this extra stuff that makes you look bad lol
But then you'd have no excuses when things go wrong!! :)