Trailer stake pocket spare tire carrier ideas?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its funny, I use to have 2 spares on the boat trailer too, and 2 sets of wheel bearings. Thank my stars I never needed them. I have seen too many trailers along the road with a flat or wheel bearing gone bad.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I like your stake pocket tire carrier! Nice work.

The noses of our trailers are set up similarly, with the same style jacks. When I had mine built, I asked for the spare to be mounted to the front, as I regularly tie down all over the sides and I was afraid the spare would be in my way. Manufacturer obliged and welded my tire carrier up front, but just in from the right hand side. Foot access to my jack spring plate is unobstructed.

On my last car hauler flatbed, I welded a Toyota pickup spare tire chain hoist under the deck, right about where your tire is. Drilled a hole through the side rail channel and permanently connected a 1/2” drive socket extension to the hoist operating nut. Trimmed out the hole with a PCV valve grommet from an auto parts store. Just found out that fit the extension…. When it was all done, all you could see was the fat end of a 1/2” extension nestled in a rubber grommet. Figured I’d have a ratchet out to change the tire anyway, so it made sense to use the same tool to lower the spare!

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Keep an eye on the cable that holds the spare tire. In New England where they treat the roads with a chemical that will eat a truck frame in 5 years or less, I have seen many spare tires laying in the roadway when the cables break. Most of the time it is on the interstate, so I won't stop to pick up the spare. Getting run over trying to get a spare tire isn't worth it to me.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Keep an eye on the cable that holds the spare tire. In New England where they treat the roads with a chemical that will eat a truck frame in 5 years or less, I have seen many spare tires laying in the roadway when the cables break. Most of the time it is on the interstate, so I won't stop to pick up the spare. Getting run over trying to get a spare tire isn't worth it to me.
Sold that trailer to get a bigger one, so no longer my issue! Plus, we don’t get salted roads here in Oregon. Also, it was a chain on that old one from the early ‘80s. Sold the trailer to another local fella.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have these mounts installed on my equipment hauling trailer and on my dump trailer. I add a couple of heavy tack welds between tire mount and stake pocket for a little added insurance against theft or bolt failure. Amazon has a lower price but I could not get the link to work.

E-Trailer

Last edited: