Tilling time!!

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Always a good time of year. I rent a tiller from my local farm store/Kubota dealer to till up the garden. This year I added a bunch of topsoils and compost, so hoping for a good harvest.
Got mine tiller and plant d this morning. Going to head over to a friends tomorrow to get his tilled up. Also have a some areas from my well pipe install that I am going to till and seed.

I really would like a tiller of my own, but can’t justify the expense of a purchase for a once a year use. Maybe I need to find 15-20 people who need their garden tilled at $100 a pop to off set the cost.

IMG_7870.jpeg

IMG_7871.jpeg

IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_7876.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Maybe consider to start turning the garden over in the fall with some compost/mulch/fertilize….that would double the need to buy 😉. 🥃

Reactions: 3 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Those Maschio's are supposed to be a pretty high quality brand. Can't remember what brand my tiller is...got the tiller and a MF 2-16 plow on trade for some brush hog and grapple work from a friend.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a wheel driven Troy-Bilt 'hand' model. I use it a few times a year to till up compost and a few other places every year. Had it now over 15 years (prior to the MTD buy out).
Figure what rental costs, time spent getting and returning. It adds up.

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Looks like that Maschio tiller sure does a nice job!! If you had one and advertised your services.....you might be surprised at how fast the cost of the tiller can be offset!! :)

Reactions: 1 user

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Looks like that Maschio tiller sure does a nice job!! If you had one and advertised your services.....you might be surprised at how fast the cost of the tiller can be offset!! :)
That is kinda what I was thinking. Tilling a garden in the area for $100-150 a pop could make the $$ up pretty quick.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I have a wheel driven Troy-Bilt 'hand' model. I use it a few times a year to till up compost and a few other places every year. Had it now over 15 years (prior to the MTD buy out).
Figure what rental costs, time spent getting and returning. It adds up.
Costs me $100 to rent it. I pass the rental place ont he way to and from work, so time is minimal.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Tiller worked great!!! Garden is planted. I was able to make a gate out of old pallets I got from my work.
GardenGate.JPG

I had a few area from other digging projects that had been left bare. I went ahead and tilled them as well so they would be ready to seed and cover with straw.
YardArea1.jpg

YardArea2.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Since that rental could be used on various size tractors the driveshaft length comes to mind on a rental tiller! I ask because I dont know and I have no PTO driven equipment. Can one size cover various tractors? I have a walk behind tiller as I only have two small plots and could not justify a 3 pt tiller, but it would be way better than wrestling the walk behind. Getting too old and crippled for that!

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Since that rental could be used on various size tractors the driveshaft length comes to mind on a rental tiller! I ask because I dont know and I have no PTO driven equipment. Can one size cover various tractors? I have a walk behind tiller as I only have two small plots and could not justify a 3 pt tiller, but it would be way better than wrestling the walk behind. Getting too old and crippled for that!
Paying attention to the length of the PTO shaft is important. The shaft is basically 2 sized triangular tubes where one is slightly smaller and slides inside the other. This setup gives you quite a bit of flexibility for different machines. The rental place rented this tiller to people with BX's and B's, so the shaft worked. For larger machines they had larger tillers.

One of the biggest issues is that if the PTO shaft is too long it is possible to cause bad damage to the rear PTO. I have never personally witnessed it, but if the shaft bottoms out you can shove the rear PTO into the back of the tractor. I was told this is a VERY large expense to fix.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada

you are 100% correct.. last weekend i was driving down the highway from tilling a garden, and got stopped by an elderly gentleman and asked me to till his garden.. so i turned around did the job, got some cash and his wife gave me a bunch of tomato plants for my garden!!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I really would like a tiller of my own, but can’t justify the expense of a purchase for a once a year use. Maybe I need to find 15-20 people who need their garden tilled at $100 a pop to off set the cost.
That's just looking at the glass, and saying that it's half empty....

I would explain to the Finance Committee that the up front cost, is actually a "cost cutting measure", and that by buying it, you will have effectively staved off the continual increased cost of future rentals, due to inflation and uncertain market fluctuations which can be compounded by the increased instability of the supply chain. ;)

Nice garden though!!! 🍺

• Love
Reactions: 2 users