That Float Thing?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Can someone explain the "Float" feature to me or tell me where to go to gain some knowledge of it? It is an option on my B2650 FEL and I am wondering when it is advantageous to use it plowing snow, moving dirt, etc. And also how to use it: position of implement?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Your fel valve has an up down float that if you just have a bucket you can practice using out in the back pasture or some where similar. You find it by pushing the valve handle all the way forward past a stop until it clicks in. This is best done, at least until you get the feel for it, at low rpm, not moving forward, QUICKLY, and with the bucket on or near the ground. If you do it slow the fel will just try to lift the front of the tractor off the ground.

In float the tractor doesn't apply any up or down force to the bucket, so if you tip the edge down you can back drag and follow the contours of the ground. Good for snow work.

The 2650 loader I have also uses a right detent that works to control the direction of the snow thrower chute

trikerider

Equipment
2016 BX2370-1 - Loader, MMM, Front Blade & 1997 Toro Wheelhorse 520H
Dec 1, 2015
Northwest, PA, USA
On my BX2370 I use float a lot in the winter with the front blade on for snow removal. I also installed a piece of rubber horse stall mat between the cutting edge and moldboard because the majority of the driveway is gravel. With the blade in float I know it is down and will ride the contours of the driveway. With the rubber there I lose the ability to cut packed snow though.

With the loader on and for dirt work float is used best for back dragging with the bucket curled down slightly. This way the weight of the bucket is the only down pressure and can be used for fine dressing.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
When you put the fel in float you are connecting both end of the lift cylinders together.

So in this way the fel will drift up/down as the level of the ground changes. If it is pushed up the hydraulic fluid will flow from one side to the other and as it drops it will flow back.

This will help when plowing snow as it will float up and down instead of digging into the drive/ground.

If you are going to use the fel for snow removal you will need skid shoes or some have put pvc on the cutting edge to help keep from digging in.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16732

Ray

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have a snow blade that has feet so I will be taking the bucket off when I plow. Thanks for all the tips, I will give float a try and see how it goes.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have been using the float feature on my B2650 and it is a decent option. My drag or blade leaves a ridge of gravel on my driveway and the FEL pulled backwards in float smooths it right out. Really dresses up the gravel surface. Thanks to the guys and gals that explained it.

badcompany

Oct 19, 2017
Georgia
Interesting, I thought every FEL had this feature. Without this, how do you relieve pressure when it's parked?

I wish my 3PH had a similar feature (do any?), there are times when using the box blade that i really just need to smooth a surface instead of trying to level it, if that makes sense (think whoops on a dirt bike track).

badcompany

Oct 19, 2017
Georgia
95% of the three point hitches do nothing but Float!!

To make your box blade take advantage of that float mode, you need to extend the toplink so that all the weight of the box blade is resting just on the bottom rear blade (so that it rides up on the backside of the curve of the blade).
thanks, will def try this