Taller steering wheel

blinky

Jul 7, 2016
South shore of Boston, MA
Not sure if I should post this in grey market or customization. Here goes:

I want to buy a GR2120. Everything about it is right, except that darned low steering wheel. I'm 6'4" and it's literally between my knees. I spend my current mowing & swearing at a Deere D140, and that cheapo has better ergonomics. I drove the GR around at a dealership and it seems pretty great. I bought the WSM and think it'll be pretty straighforward to work on. I've poured over the forum posts about the leaks and warnings, so I'm not going into this blind.

I've seen a much better steering wheel on the european BX2350, such as in this youtube vid: https://youtu.be/E61jSwRaL1I

Does anyone have any idea if/how I might be able to get that steering wheel? I bet I could figure a way to make a sleeve if the center axle cutout isn't the same as the GR.

Yes, I know the BX1870 is better, but I only have about 3/4 acres, and I think a full SCUT with ROPS is really too much for my little space. Even the 50" snowblower is wider than our skimpy New England sidewalk.

I did search here and the web in general. My (potential) dealer said they can't get one for me.

Any help on this would be fantastic.

Thanks! :)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Take the steering wheel off, and measure the shaft and key, then spend the next rainy day, at a japanese car junkyard...:D:D

blinky

Jul 7, 2016
Ha! I shoulda known I'd get "build it yourself" answers to my post in the fab & customization room. Okay. Roger that; The hunt for parts is on. Thank you all for the leads & ideas.

blinky

Jul 7, 2016
Wow that looks just about perfect. Thanks!
Looks like the most I'll need to do it find or make a spline adapter. I think the steering axle on the GR is much much smaller diameter.

I also checked MBTractor.com, where I'm headed next weekend to look at the GR, and their site shows they have one in stock. I'll ask my sales guy if he can have it on hand for me to at least hold up.

You've all been a great help.