steering column leaking

Firetruck

Equipment
b2150
Feb 27, 2015
Bartlett, Tn,
I have a b2150. The snap ring that holds the seal in at the bottom of the steering column won't stay in. I bought a new snap ring and seal. I put them in and the snap ring won't lock in firmly. Just a slight lift with a screw driver and it will pop right out. Needless to say it won't hold the seal in and leaks terribly. Any ideas on why the snap ring wont seat into the groove?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I had the same issue on my L345 power steering box. On mine, the iron was rusted enough that the ring groove had lost some material and no longer was a clean slot with square edges. I drilled and tapped the iron where a couple small screws with washers would block the snap ring from coming out. The iron drilled easily - I used a slightly larger than standard tap drill so the tap would turn easier and not break the iron. Completely solved the problem.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
At an angle from the inside to control bolt head location. Angled it to miss other things. The "washers" can be home-made tabs.

Early last year I posted about my leaking steering box here . I thought it was fixed but later it started leaking again. It was in the second round that I put in some keepers for the snap ring. I had room enough that I used 8mm bolts with 1" dia bent washers. I didn't take pics of the keepers or post again about them, but no leaks for a year now. Dick B

Last edited:

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
I have a b2150. The snap ring that holds the seal in at the bottom of the steering column won't stay in. I bought a new snap ring and seal. I put them in and the snap ring won't lock in firmly. Just a slight lift with a screw driver and it will pop right out. Needless to say it won't hold the seal in and leaks terribly. Any ideas on why the snap ring wont seat into the groove?

Firetruck:

Hello......I would start by inspecting the groove the snap ring goes into for any foreign debris, rust or burrs - make sure that it's super-clean and in good shape. Then I'd go to the dealer and get the exact snap ring that goes into that key-way. I had a similar problem with a Mercury outboard. Tried to use a snap ring from a 100ct snap ring kit I bought. Mic'd it all up and replaced the old one with a new one from this kit. Exact fit all the way around......and it kept "popping" out. finally, I broke down and got one from the dealer and it's been there for 7 years now.........

It's a phenomenon that still keeps me guessing to this day.

just a thought to consider........

Best of luck!