Steering brakes on a bx2360

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Well, upgrading to a B2601 would do it.
But, seriously, if you do figure it out, I’m sure there’s a few BX owners that would be interested. Good luck with it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i have a bx2360 and was wondering if anybody has come up a fix to add steering brakes to a bx?
WHY????
What exactly do you think you'll gain from it having steering brakes?

Reactions: 1 users

jwitty

Equipment
Lx2610
Mar 14, 2024
United states
The B series and LX series have them but don't benift. The BX is even shorter frame and much lighter. All you will do is make dirt rings in grass.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
On our old 8N, we somewhat regularly used the cutting brakes (no 4WD, no power steering). On my Kubota HST L and B , I very rarely use the brakes at all, other than to set the parking brake. I’ve had the L about 18 years and never used the cutting brakes (of course both brake pedals are in the right side of the machine, directly above the HST pedal, so you’d have to have two right legs to use the cutting brakes). I’ve had my B for 2 years and have never used the cutting brakes. I’ve got some slopes and regularly mow around trees.

So as to why cutting brakes on a tight turning BX would be desirable is a fair question.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think there are two likey benefits…shorter turning radius and to control wheel slippage (control of wheel slippage more applicable for gear drive IMO), but with a HST it’s really more for turning radius…it’s gonna remove some turf though. With an HST it’s not much of an issue to use the FWD/REVERSE pedal IMO, but YMMV.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I think there are two likey benefits…shorter turning radius and to control wheel slippage (control of wheel slippage more applicable for gear drive IMO), but with a HST it’s really more for turning radius…it’s gonna remove some turf though. With an HST it’s not much of an issue to use the FWD/REVERSE pedal IMO, but YMMV.
Sure, those are the typical reasons to use cutting brakes on any tractor. With 4WD and w/ or w/o diff lock and a very short wheel base and pretty short turning radius, since now I’m thinking about it, is there much to be gained on a BX? 1, maybe 2 ft reduction in the turning radius in 2WD, no diff lock, turned full lock with a cutting brake fully stomped?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Sure, those are the typical reasons to use cutting brakes on any tractor. With 4WD and w/ or w/o diff lock and a very short wheel base and pretty short turning radius, since now I’m thinking about it, is there much to be gained on a BX? 1, maybe 2 ft reduction in the turning radius in 2WD, no diff lock, turned full lock with a cutting brake fully stomped?
I could see some value if mucking out a stall maybe…it would make a difference there. I had a BX and sure I would have liked it to turn like a ZT, but not at the expense to tear out the lawn…when I was parking boats inside the barn I would have used split breaks (I do now with my B). I would not use them just to mow the yard though…I don’t manicure my lawn or anything but I would not want the tear out / mud simply because I don’t want my GSDs to have muddy paws. But if having a BX to use in close quarters it’d be a benefit I think. Depends on OP use.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
I used both a BX and a 46 hp L for many years and 1,000+ hours on each. The L had split brakes, the BX, obviously not. Came to the conclusion there were only 2 uses for the split brakes. 1. To control wheel spin in mud/snow. 2. Making minimum radius turns in field work. For the low traction situation, 4wd + the differential lock worked better than stabbing one or the other wheel brakes.

The quick U-turns were sometimes handy, but you have to be careful because turning brakes will lock one wheel and make the other one speed up and really whip the tractor around. It can get very "sporty" if the ground isn't flat and smooth. You might need to back off the throttle or HST when making turns like that. By the time you get everything re-adjusted back where you want it, you realize it would have been just as quick to use the steering and the HST pedal to make a mild 3 point turn. Just what happened at my place. YMMV.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
i have a bx2360 and was wondering if anybody has come up a fix to add steering brakes to a bx?
That would be quite a challenge as there is only one brake in the rear end of a BX, not a brake in each rear axle housing like other models.

Reactions: 1 user