Starlink Question

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Let me see if I'm on the same page with you "techies". If I bought a Starlink system I would need to buy another router and a mesh network to send wi-fi to my AirBnB about 600ft away???

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
I have mine mounted on a 30’ pole attached to my chimney. I got 98% free sky that way. I have lots, and lots, and LOTS of trees. Redwoods. Not exactly what one would call a “short” tree. 😁

Plugged the Ethernet adapter directly into my already over-complicated network. 😳
works so much better than the other options for us out here. I can actually watch streaming movies now!

Ammobeetle

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 8, 2020
Hallsville, MO
Let me see if I'm on the same page with you "techies". If I bought a Starlink system I would need to buy another router and a mesh network to send wi-fi to my AirBnB about 600ft away???
WiFi will not go 600ft (reliably) With my steel buildings I ran fiber optic to my shop 175'. (Buried 1.25 conduit) Used a media converter on each end to turn fiber into a 1gb port. Put a switch and access point in the shop. If you don't have an ethernet port on your Starlink get one, great for testing and adding on wired devices. Make sure to set up the AP in the BnB as a guest network and it will keep any guests from poking around on your devices.

Reactions: 1 user

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
WiFi will not go 600ft (reliably) With my steel buildings I ran fiber optic to my shop 175'. (Buried 1.25 conduit) Used a media converter on each end to turn fiber into a 1gb port. Put a switch and access point in the shop. If you don't have an ethernet port on your Starlink get one, great for testing and adding on wired devices. Make sure to set up the AP in the BnB as a guest network and it will keep any guests from poking around on your devices.
How far will it go reliably would you think???

Ammobeetle

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 8, 2020
Hallsville, MO
How far will it go reliably would you think???
There are lots of factors, anything over 100' is great. Put a couple of walls in between and you cut that in half. Metal siding and you loose ~90% of your signal. Easiest install if you have a line of sight option would be a point to point WiFi extender: Amazon.com: 5.8G Wireless Bridge PTMP WiFi PTP Point to Point Long Range Outdoor Wireless Access Point Extender Network CPE 2KM Transmission Distance with 12DBi Antenna 2 LAN 100MBps 24V PoE Power Supply 2 Pack : Electronics
You would still need to put an AP in the BnB but this would get the signal there.

Reactions: 1 user