Shopping for my first tractor

Coach529

Jun 22, 2023
Idaho Panhandle
I am shopping for my first tractor.

Moving onto 25 acres later this summer. Mostly wooded with a 600 yard uphill driveway. Not steep, only about 150' of elevation change top to bottom.

Main uses:
Clearing out overgrown farmstead
moving tree's to a sawmill
snow removal (70" average)
feeding animals etc
some mowing
General Dirtwork

Attachments I can see wanting:
Flail Mower
Snow Blower
Rock Bucket
Snow Pusher

Hoping I can find something in the $30,000 range and will buy attachments as I am able.

What would be a good fit?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I’d probably look at a mid to larger L series. Maybe an L3902. In fact I did when I bought my tractor for a similar sized property with some of the same tasks a couple decades ago. Some may say all you need is an 18 Hp BX, others might suggest a 60 Hp M, you’ll probably get plenty of advice. Mine is only worth what you paid for it.

BTW, if your driveway has a constant slope, that’s better than an 8% grade, if it has a variable slope, real good chance some of it may be steeper than 10%.

You might consider a grapple and a back blade (if the driveway is gravel) as well. May as well get the new tractor with the 3rd function installed. I presume a FEL loader is part of the deal? Get the larger one if you have a choice. Probably ought to think about having the rear tires liquid filled as well. Seems like it’s almost standard, but I suspect some dealers want to charge for it.

Happy shopping.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Moving trees to a sawmill is the task that stands out there as something that might require a particular size tractor. Everything else can be done with a bigger or smaller tractor, it'll just be done faster or slower.

You're planning to mow with the flail mower I assume? If you want a MMM that will also tell you what machine (nothing bigger than an LX has a MMM).

Do you want a cab? I see snow pushing...you may want a cab for snow work. Again, that tells you which machines, a standard L doesn't have a factory cab option.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
You may want to rethink the snow removal plan depending on how much snow you get in your location. I don't think the L series tractors (fabulous units BTW) have front PTO output so a snowblower would have to be a rear (three-point) mounted unit used while driving in reverse. 600 yards seems like a considerable task to drive in reverse for regular snow removal. Snow removal by use of a blower is also somewhat time-consuming when compared to a plow or pusher.

No front PTO also negates the use of a mid-mount-mower (MMM), an attachment I'd be hesitant to recommend anyway.

Snow removal generally involves three options: a blower, a plow or a pusher. For a long driveway a plow can be the best choice, especially if the driveway is dirt or gravel and not paved. Any winter tractor use for snow removal almost certainly requires tire chains (rear if not all four) and I'd be extra careful with any tractor on any hill, especially in winter. For a parking area, a pusher can be used very effectively and quickly, and doesn't require any front power systems (PTO or hydraulics). A front blower will generally require a front PTO, and a front plow may require front hydraulics for angling.

In general, your primary consideration is how heavy of a tractor should you get to handle the hardest of your anticipated tasks (possibly log moving). The L series are going to have more weight for accomplishing the tasks you've mentioned, but they generally start in the $30K range, more or less. You may find that an LX2610 with a cab, or a any cabbed LX might be a good choice for your needs; you could get a nice 55" commercial-duty front snowblower setup which would be great for snow removal; a 72" rear blade could also be used simultaneously for a very effective snow removal system. You'd still have the front end loader (FEL) capability (easily detached & installed as needed) and the LX would easily handle a 60-72" finish mower; a 50" flail mower or brush hog and would also work well with a 60" front grapple.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m going to focus in a the tree skidding or grapple movement chore. You would be happier with a MX, M, or large GL for that task.

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I have a small GL and it pushes a 7' snow pusher just fine, also have a 7' blade for the back I'll be trying this year. It's only weakness IMO is the lift capacity with LA805.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am shopping for my first tractor.

Moving onto 25 acres later this summer. Mostly wooded with a 600 yard uphill driveway. Not steep, only about 150' of elevation change top to bottom.

Main uses:
Clearing out overgrown farmstead
moving tree's to a sawmill
snow removal (70" average)
feeding animals etc
some mowing
General Dirtwork

Attachments I can see wanting:
Flail Mower
Snow Blower
Rock Bucket
Snow Pusher

Hoping I can find something in the $30,000 range and will buy attachments as I am able.

What would be a good fit?
I am very biased…for what describing I sort of think like some of others on you have some tasks that require significant lift…I don’t know your process to get the logs onto your mill, but I’d think that through in terms of the size/weight of the logs and then give yourself some safety margin. I know you did not ask, and I saw the price cap, but I’d tend to list up tasks and capabilities needed and compare tractor against a CTL or CWL…they would have far superior lift and manueverability. To me the concern there is really the price cap plus the more expensive attachments. So I guess depending on the size logs you want to handle, that sort of pegs which tractor matches you needs…don’t be surprised if you end up with more than one machine. Your lifting needs may not match mowing needs, but if still hard to say based on the description. Depending on your logs I’d think it would be reasonable to price mid to large Ls thru an M…but I think when you get to that price range price a CWL for giggles.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
A mid PTO is an option on the Grand L series. Will probably exceed the $30k budget. Unless you get a used 30 or 40 series Grand L. Low hour (less than 1000), good condition 40-50 Hp with FEL goes for around $30k. Some have cabs, for a bit more $.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe North Idaho Wolfman will step in. He knows the terrain/conditions too be prepared for up there, and probably knows where all the bargains are too!

NWSE

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Oct 4, 2023
Southern New Hampshire
You may want to rethink the snow removal plan depending on how much snow you get in your location. I don't think the L series tractors (fabulous units BTW) have front PTO o
The LX2610 has a mid-PTO which is what the front snow blower runs off of, via a four point hitch below the frame (part of the SB package). Works very well - see GP Outdoors on YouTube!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Lots of great comments.

I was in the same decision place a few years ago, but I have a history of tractor and equipment background. I don't know if you do.

That being said, you need to do more research. Decide if a cab is what you want. It's a huge $ factor.

Decide if a snow blower is what you want. So many questions... How far north in Idaho?

For 30ish thousand, you can buy a very serious machine in the MX series. BUT, open station. For about the same money, you can buy a LX with a cab. Which is a lot smaller, and less HP.

I wanted an MX open station. Wife wanted me in a cab for the same money outlay. I bought a LX2610, while wanting an MX.

With the snow and rain and heat and mosquitos the last couple years. I'm glad I listened to my wife and got a cab. I have more time, than money. And well spent money is making life comfortable. I have zero regrets. These tractors are awesome.

Research. Go to a dealer and look at them. You think you know what you want, but once you look at it you might change your mind.

You might want to change your parameters and go Grand L for double your quoted budget.

Lol. Bring lots of money, you'll fall for a Grand L, or MX with a cab. Then the financial reality steps in...

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I remember it like it was yesterday........My "first tractor" was gonna be my buddies 8N for $2200.......Then he balked about something......

Then I started looking at Kubota brochures...........

50K later I have this bad MF'r.

Presenting the General Lee!!!!

20230628_145420[1].jpg

I can't imagine how much trouble I would be in had I started at 30K.....

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I remember it like it was yesterday........My "first tractor" was gonna be my buddies 8N for $2200.......Then he balked about something......

Then I started looking at Kubota brochures...........

50K later I have this bad MF'r.

Presenting the General Lee!!!!

View attachment 113321

I can't imagine how much trouble I would be in had I started at 30K.....

My friend started his search with the idea of a used B26 TLB,, in the mid $30"s
Just finished the search, with purchase of a used M62 TLB ,.... mid $60's.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My friend started his search with the idea of a used B26 TLB,, in the mid $30"s
Just finished the search, with purchase of a used M62 TLB ,.... mid $60's.
I can see how that happens.

NWSE

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Oct 4, 2023
Southern New Hampshire
With the snow and rain and heat and mosquitos the last couple years. I'm glad I listened to my wife and got a cab. I have more time, than money. And well spent money is making life comfortable. I have zero regrets. These tractors are awesome.
This makes me happy to see - I placed the order for an LX2610 (1st tractor) a couple of weeks ago and was feeling like I did when I bought my sailboat.... But, I think this is going to be so much better - as it will actually produce something useful...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This makes me happy to see - I placed the order for an LX2610 (1st tractor) a couple of weeks ago and was feeling like I did when I bought my sailboat.... But, I think this is going to be so much better - as it will actually produce something useful...
It is commonly referred to as "buyers remorse",........ but that feeling will instantly vanish when the new LX2010 arrives!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
25 wooded acres in the Idaho panhandle sounds awesome. I wonder if @Coach529 bought a tractor in the end. There's a Kubota dealer in Bonners Ferry I seem to remember. I've driven that route many times through Bonners Ferry and Sandpoint and it's a wonderful part of the country.

An MX6000 open station sounds like it'd fit the bill nicely but not sure if $30k will be enough these days.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Yeah, boats and RV's. Sometimes they are money pits. Seems like a great idea for fun. And it is, for a while.

But if you sail a lot, (I did many many years ago): The peace of travelling with wind power is awesome. Think about the "Sailing" song by Chistopher Cross. Funny how things sometimes wrap around in life, a friend's motor Sailer had a Kubota inboard.

Anyway..
With RV's, well, it's a home on wheels. Good to have. Hard to maintain.

A tractor on the other hand... save's you money, if you use it enough. And it's fun, unless you do it professionally, then it's just work.

(138) Christopher Cross - Sailing (Official Music Video) [Remastered HD] - YouTube

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I use my tractor far more than any of the other toys, except maybe the ski boat which we'd use 3-4 times a week in season. Ski boat was far more expensive.

Tractor seemed expensive when I bought it. Took me 2 years to decide. Never regretted it once. Buy once, cry once. Every day beyond the day I paid has been a pleasure.

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I'll chime in and say my L2501 overachieves at all the tasks you list including log & tree work
...BUT I have a separate rig & plow for snow removal.