Service Manual

Mikezqn

Equipment
L4212DT
Jul 16, 2023
New Zealand
Just brought an old Kubota Tractor L4212DT any idea where I might get a service manual , happy to buy it if required?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There was never manual for that model.
You can get some general info off of other manuals
If you give me the size of the engine I can give you some info to work with.
It will be stamped into the block facing up on the flat right next to the injection pump.

Mikezqn

Equipment
L4212DT
Jul 16, 2023
New Zealand
There was never manual for that model.
You can get some general info off of other manuals
If you give me the size of the engine I can give you some info to work with.
It will be stamped into the block facing up on the flat right next to the injection pump.
Thanks for that V1502-L-03683 , the info I was looking for was about the output drive on the back of the injector pump it drivers the power steering and hydraulic pump , I have had to remove the drive off the rear of the injector pump to replace a core plug that has popped out , on removing the drive it looks to be timed (it seems to have a weight inside the housing) there are some timing marks on the gears , I can't see any reason that this drive would be timed unless its to prevent vibration.
I have been unable to locate this type of drive on any other Kubota engines.
Any help would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for that V1502-L-03683 , the info I was looking for was about the output drive on the back of the injector pump it drivers the power steering and hydraulic pump , I have had to remove the drive off the rear of the injector pump to replace a core plug that has popped out , on removing the drive it looks to be timed (it seems to have a weight inside the housing) there are some timing marks on the gears , I can't see any reason that this drive would be timed unless its to prevent vibration.
I have been unable to locate this type of drive on any other Kubota engines.
Any help would be appreciated.
Can you give me a picture of it?
Or are you talking about this setup?
If you are no timing needed, don't know what the marks are for.

1689641340837.png

Mikezqn

Equipment
L4212DT
Jul 16, 2023
New Zealand
Have been thinking about this drive hub , could it be to change the ratio from output speed from injection pump to hydraulic and steering pump ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it is used for that.
That is a unique set up as it's running two separate pumps.
Others use one gear box to run a tandem pump, with both hydraulic and PS drives of one shaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you think I should just install the drive with the engine at TDC and hub drive timing marks aligned?
I wouldn't think the timing marks have any correlation to the engine, just to each other.
I think they are just for wear purposes.

Mikezqn

Equipment
L4212DT
Jul 16, 2023
New Zealand
I wouldn't think the timing marks have any correlation to the engine, just to each other.
I think they are just for wear purposes.
Put it all back together today , problem is it won’t run tries to fire up fuel being delivered to injectors , smoke out the exhaust !! Got to be pump timing , machine had sat for 5 years and I had it running , can’t believe it’s this hub as it bolts on after ( on the output ) of the injector pump
HELP !! even tried easy start

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NO ether it will do damage to the engine.

I can't see the pump timing having anything to do with it running.
Could be stop linkage changed when you removed the hydraulic pumps.
Did you remove any fuel lines?
(EDIT looking back at pictures you did remove the fuel line)
If so you will need to bleed the entire system back to the injectors to get rid of air.
I know you say you have fuel to the injectors, but if there is any air it will not pop the injectors properly.
Also check that the glow plug connections are good and getting power.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What is “easy start?”

I assume this is something like ether that is sprayed in the air intake? Also assume this is one of the two things that Wolfman points out will damage the engine.

listen closely to the wolfman’s advice.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Worked with an older auto tech about 30 years ago and his version of easy start was the big old battery charger switch to 24 volts and hook up to a dead car. Granted it did work on the old non-computer auto's, he did fry a gm computer with the old EEPROM chips. After that he decided to only work on carburetor cars and lawn motors. It was the kind of shop that if it had an engine, we would work on it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea don't use that stuff!
Kubota engines are high compression engines and ether will bend rods, break piston or piston lands, and blow head gaskets.

Check for air in the fuel system, it takes longer to bleed the injection pump and lines than most would expect.