Russell King
Well-known member
Lifetime Member
Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Final update on this tank re-line:
The paint expands a bit as it cures and there was enough left in the threads that it made it impossible to screw the threaded plug and the outlet valve into their holes! I had run both into their holes and used rags and q-tips to clean up the threads several times. What I didn’t do was use the recommended thinner to clean the holes out which would have probably prevented the problem.
So I broke out some picks (like used to pull o-rings and seals) and cleaned up the threads, but that was tedious. The KBS Tank Sealer cures into a VERY hard paint and is difficult to get it removed. The drain is a fairly small diameter (probably 8 or 10 mm) so it was difficult to get the pick into the threads but one of the pick was designed in a slightly spiral shape (to wind under an o-ring) so it was the tool of choice and I got the first few threads cleaned out enough to get the straight threads started and then was able to get the threads cleaned out with the plug and an occasional picking action. The outlet valve is a tapered thread (I assume BSPT) so it was easy enough to get the valve started in the threads and then use it and the occasional picking action to get it cleaned out.
I then got the tank reinstalled and tractor reassembled and filled the tank. I used the tractor for a few hours shredding grass and all seems to be working perfectly now.
Overall, I liked how the KBS system worked but they should also include the thinner (or strongly recommend that it is required) for clean up. They mention it only in passing in their instructions as a good way to be sure the threads are clean and to use it to clean up if the paint is appl to the wrong surface. And the paint can was difficult to open as they warned, but more difficult than I would expect a paint can to be.
The paint expands a bit as it cures and there was enough left in the threads that it made it impossible to screw the threaded plug and the outlet valve into their holes! I had run both into their holes and used rags and q-tips to clean up the threads several times. What I didn’t do was use the recommended thinner to clean the holes out which would have probably prevented the problem.
So I broke out some picks (like used to pull o-rings and seals) and cleaned up the threads, but that was tedious. The KBS Tank Sealer cures into a VERY hard paint and is difficult to get it removed. The drain is a fairly small diameter (probably 8 or 10 mm) so it was difficult to get the pick into the threads but one of the pick was designed in a slightly spiral shape (to wind under an o-ring) so it was the tool of choice and I got the first few threads cleaned out enough to get the straight threads started and then was able to get the threads cleaned out with the plug and an occasional picking action. The outlet valve is a tapered thread (I assume BSPT) so it was easy enough to get the valve started in the threads and then use it and the occasional picking action to get it cleaned out.
I then got the tank reinstalled and tractor reassembled and filled the tank. I used the tractor for a few hours shredding grass and all seems to be working perfectly now.
Overall, I liked how the KBS system worked but they should also include the thinner (or strongly recommend that it is required) for clean up. They mention it only in passing in their instructions as a good way to be sure the threads are clean and to use it to clean up if the paint is appl to the wrong surface. And the paint can was difficult to open as they warned, but more difficult than I would expect a paint can to be.