Runs good then almost dies, then takes off again

JDW83

Equipment
Kabota Mx5200
Jun 30, 2024
Missouri
Hi, I just bought a used 2019 mx5200. Changed oil & filter. Air,hydraulic and fuel filters. All needed to be changed badly. The tractor runs great then randomly seems to want to die/then takes off again. It acts to me like a blocked filter. What did I miss?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Probably need to properly, thoroughly clean the fuel tank.
My guess is there's an ugly crud in the tank.
Best to remove tank,as it allows you to aggressively 'slosh' cleaners ,up down all around to remove whatever is inside the tank clinging to the walls.
Depending on the tank you may be able to remove fuel sensor and get a 'fan/low pressure' power washer head inside,maybe.
Yes, removing the tank can be a pain( 'fun' on my BX23S ) BUT it allows you to better clean and inspect.

After you clean with water, blow out with compressed air then use winter windshield fluid as a final 'rinse', blow out again.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Is there any chance you installed the new fuel filter backwards? I think some fuel filters are supposed to be installed in one direction rather than the other.

I had the exact same symptom on my B2910 when it was new. Turned out that I got some bad fuel and the fuel filter was blocked to the point I couldn’t blow through it. Learned diesel fuel is not that tasty.

Reactions: 1 user

JDW83

Equipment
Kabota Mx5200
Jun 30, 2024
Missouri
Fuel filter is good, I’m thinking that there may be gunk in the tank though. I pulled the water separator out and it was nasty! Thanks for the help!

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Is there any chance you installed the new fuel filter backwards? I think some fuel filters are supposed to be installed in one direction rather than the other.

I had the exact same symptom on my B2910 when it was new. Turned out that I got some bad fuel and the fuel filter was blocked to the point I couldn’t blow through it. Learned diesel fuel is not that tasty.
Requires a chaser. 🍺