Running Chains Loose

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know I should be asking this question in November…🙂

One issue I have with the ladder chains on my R4 tires is that a good portion of the chain falls down between the tire lugs and serves little purpose.

I remember my neighbor ran his chains very loose on his R1 tires. Loose enough, that they dropped onto the ground a few inches before the tire reached that point. In a sense they were self cleaning, and since they were laying on the ground before the tire got to that point, any part of the tire that hit the ground would pinch whatever bit of chain was laying on the ground when it ran over it.

Now that I received wheel spacers and will install them well before winter, I could do that if I wanted, since now I will have ample clearance (4” +) between the side of the tire and the fender on the inside. Seems like with my R4 tires, running chains loose would be an advantage. Previously, with only about an inch of clearance I had to run the chains as tight as possible. Even then, if they shifted they hit the fender.

Also seems like all that movement of the chains would contribute to wearing them out faster. But I’m figuring that I’ll probably wear out before the chains would, if I did run them loose.

So, would I want to run my chains loose? Obviously, if I had a different style chain that did not fall down between the R4 lugs, I would run them tight without question. But I don’t and don’t plan on buying any different chains.

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.

One issue I have with the ladder chains on my R4 tires is that a good portion of the chain falls down between the tire lugs and serves little purpose.

I remember my neighbor ran his chains very loose on his R1 tires. Loose enough, that they dropped onto the ground a few inches before the tire reached that point. In a sense they were self cleaning, and since they were laying on the ground before the tire got to that point, any part of the tire that hit the ground would pinch whatever bit of chain was laying on the ground when it ran over it.

Now that I received wheel spacers and will install them well before winter, I could do that if I wanted, since now I will have ample clearance (4” +) between the side of the tire and the fender on the inside. Seems like with my R4 tires, running chains loose would be an advantage. Previously, with only about an inch of clearance I had to run the chains as tight as possible. Even then, if they shifted they hit the fender.

Also seems like all that movement of the chains would contribute to wearing them out faster. But I’m figuring that I’ll probably wear out before the chains would, if I did run them loose.

So, would I want to run my chains loose? Obviously, if I had a different style chain that did not fall down between the R4 lugs, I would run them tight without question. But I don’t and don’t plan on buying any different chains.
unless you're a farmer running the chains for everything you're not going to ever use it enough to wear tire chains out. Loose chains slip of much easier than tight ones, suggest you get some cross links and connect every two rungs together to prevent them from falling down between the bars or get a different style; We always ran double ring chains on our dairy farm tractors. Not a fan of 4 link bar chains, at a minimum I would want two link ones.

hoobie

Equipment
mx5100
Aug 11, 2020
canada
I have a different style of chains now. But on my old Ford I had ladder chains and know what you mean. I am no expert but I have heard this...slightly loose chains rattle, tight chains grind and wear.

jimmyjoe

Equipment
L5740
Nov 3, 2015
chisago city, mn.

I always run my chains a little loose on 3 tractors I have.