RTV1140CPX Total Restoration

Howie C.

Equipment
UTV 1140 CPX
Jun 22, 2020
Littleton, CO
I love a good project, but this was not what/when I wanted one.
My wife and I bought 35 ac in the Rockies to build our 'forever home" on. It had nothing on it, so I got right to work building a driveway and building pad. The mailbox is a half mile away and I knew the workshop would be at least a quarter mile from the house (don't need to wake up mama banging on an uncooperative pin at 7am). So, says I, it would be handy to have a utility vehicle for running around, hauling, etc.
I found a 2014 RTV1140CPX at auction in Dallas with 1400 hours it. It looked great in the pics! That would be the first thing this machine would teach me. "Texas is a dry climate so it shouldn't have much rust...low hours... runs...sure, lets bid on that one."
Well.... 1591466598027 (1).jpg here is the original listing photo. Not bad right? I won the auction for 5500.00. I also won a trailer at a nearby auction and got them hauled out pretty reasonably (1500.00 I think.)
When it arrived I unloaded it and got my first look at my prize. It was as described. There were no false statements made in the listing, but nowhere in the description did it say "good condition." It started on the first click and begrudgingly moved forward and reverse, but...
What showed up looked like a civil war relic. Every surface was rusty, every cranny was packed full of clay, there was pitting. I could also now see the faint outline of "SUNBELT" on the hood. Oh my...I had bought someones problem. Decision point. I can:

1) Put it back onthe market as-is and make it someone else's problem,
2) Part it out,
3) Embrace the learning opportunity before me. Dismantle it, fix everything, reassemble and enjoy the fruits of my labor of love.

Guess which one I chose.
My brother and I realized one hot day while rolling around under a project that we suffer from the same mental illness-- We can't walk by a broken thing and NOT fix it. For whatever reason, We both look at a broken thing in the same way (I'm told) women look at a potential mate; "I can fix that." Presto! I've got my next project!
I'm fond of saying that 'all projects start with a pressure washing." so that was first. Nobody had ever washed this this thing. The skidplates underneath were packed solid with some type of very blond clay. As I blasted the mud out from the front differential area, oil started running out. Please be a worn out hose. Nope...The acetic clay had eaten through the differential case like a dissolving asprin. Oh boy. I noted there was another skidplate "protecting" the transmission, which is made of the same stuff as the differential case, and the space between them was also packed solid with the same clay. A quick internet search helped me decide that if the tranny case was comprimised I would be parting it out after all. It was some time before I got that far into the stripdown and discovered to my amazement that the transmission case, though pitted, was not compromised. I'll talk more about those 'protective' plates when I get to the rebuild. Back to the stripdown.
Second step, get the plastic off and start making a list.
20211103_165753 (1).jpg 20211103_161936 (1).jpg 20211102_114737 (1).jpg Rust, Rot, Rats nests.
20211102_115733 (1).jpg It also came with a free ant colony living under the front floor mat. The right and left floor panels are also rotted through.
20211102_131823 (1).jpg Engine compartment. The starter is new in this pic. I replaced it because of a faulty assumption, so now I have a spare.
20211105_153620 (1).jpg Front end. Every exposed surface was rusted badly. Steering ball joints are shot and on the shopping list.
20211105_153611 (1).jpg You can see here the driveline running to the front differential. An unaccountable operator managed to smash it so it flopped when moving. Its a 900.00 part, so their repair was to cut out part of the frame it rubbed on. Pretty ghetto. My repair for this was one of the victories I am most proud of on this project. I'll get to that in the rebuild. You'll like it.
20211116_101218.jpg With the exception of the end plates (the most important part) the tailgate went to the recycle bin. I used the end plates to fabricate a new tailgate I think you like also.
Anyway, you get the picture-- It was a mess, but ultimately I can say I have no regrets. I learned so much doing this project and will apply what I picked up to the next one, where I will learn a lot more. I'm also happy to share what I learned on this thread and look forward to the discussions.
TO BE CONTINUED...

Reactions: 2 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Howie, looks like a Texas flood victim. Good luck with it as parts can be found from wrecked unit's all over .

Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi

Howie C.

Equipment
UTV 1140 CPX
Jun 22, 2020
Littleton, CO
Howie, looks like a Texas flood victim. Good luck with it as parts can be found from wrecked unit's all over .
That was my fear, and that would have been a show stopper, but I found no signs of water intrusion when I got to the engine and transmission. It was all exposure/surface damage. Whew.

Howie C.

Equipment
UTV 1140 CPX
Jun 22, 2020
Littleton, CO
Yes, will be following this as thats the kinda project RTV I am looking for(hoping for one with head gasket blown). Here is my project from a few months ago. Not pictured but all fluids changed(this includes brake fluid) . As be aware that RTV also had a flat bed version available(seen on FB for cheap). https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/2005-kawasaki-mule-frame-repair.62841/#post-628764
Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you find. They are solid and infinitely repairable no matter what is wrong with it...well, almost.
1689455647035.png

You might have good luck at Ritchie Brothers on the 'does-not-run' row. Seems like the "Runs and drives" stuff often means 'barely'.

• Haha

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
“Texas is a dry climate so it shouldn't have much rust...low hours... runs...sure, lets bid on that one."

Texas is not all that dry and has a very long coastline. Dallas is not close to the coast but that looks like it lived near the coast sometimes.

Howie C.

Equipment
UTV 1140 CPX
Jun 22, 2020
Littleton, CO
Yea...I should have clarified that this was my naive assumption. And I think you're right about coming from the coast, OR maybe the oil fields. Maybe somebody knows where this light colored clay is prominent. All I know for sure is, it was nobody's job to clean this thing!

Attachments

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Looking forward to the adventure. So far mine has been a great work horse.

tsp159

Equipment
B7100D
Feb 8, 2023
Fort Bend Texas
Yea...I should have clarified that this was my naive assumption. And I think you're right about coming from the coast, OR maybe the oil fields. Maybe somebody knows where this light colored clay is prominent. All I know for sure is, it was nobody's job to clean this thing!
That rig could have been anywhere in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Louisiana. RTVs are like roaches at every major construction project for good reason. I think the only wash it would have received was rainfall or splashes from puddles. No telling where that thing spent the majority of its early life but at least it will get a nice retirement!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Free Ant Farm?????

Sign me up!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, and look forward to seeing it's resurrection.