Retro-fitting an L2800 with telescoping lift arms

ANiforos

Equipment
Kubota B-2630 HST, w/ FEL, 5' box scraper, 6' scrape blade, mfg by Wallburg Farm
Jan 7, 2011
Winston Salem, NC
I have been following this site for several months now and have enjoyed reading many of the posts. What a great site.

About three weeks ago I purchased my first tractor, a 2010 Kubota L-2800, HST, 4wd. I live on six acres, most of it wooded except where the house is. I do have a long gravel driveway which is about 600 feet, and a 700 foot private road I share with three neighbors. Both driveway and private road is gravel. We have been here 18 years. My tractor will be almost exclusively used for driveway and road maintenance.

I have always wanted a tractor so I could maintain my own driveway and roadway, but I have never really been able to to justify buying one, as us three neighbors get together and pay a local guy with a tractor about 50 to 100 dollars for him to come out several times a year and scrape the driveways with his boxscraper. Usually I call him after we have had a storm adn the road/driveway gets ruts in it. What this works out to is that we have a nicely leveled driveway only for a few months of the year when it is all totaled out, because there is always a lag of time from the storm to when he arrives. Also, we try to stretch out the time so we don't have to call him so much. So anyway, I've wanted a tractor all these years, and I finally decided to buy one. My justification is that now I can have a nicely groomed driveway and roadway all the time. Plus, I find it fun. Every man should have a tractor......at least thats what I have read on here.

So now to the point. I originally was looking at several of the B series tractors with the telescoping lift arms and stabilizers on the 3ph. After consulting with friends who own Kubotas, I finally decided on an L-2800, even though it didn't have a few of the niceties, like the telescoping lift arms and stabilizers. After using it a few times and switching from a box scraper to a scrape blade, I am second guessing myself as to the telescoping pieces. One dealer where I originally shopped told me that the parts can be purchased separately, and that Kubota finally got smart and actually now offered them as a kit, for about $300.00. I checked with the dealer that ended up purchasing from and they couldn't find a kit, but said that the parts could be ordered separately from an L-3240, which should be a similar size tractor. The problem is that individually, it would be about $700.00 for the parts, which is really cost prohibitive. Maybe I should just practice switching impliments and get used to the way most tractors are and have been in the past.

So all of this prior history, just to ask the question......has anyone ever retrofitted an L-2800 or similar tractor with fixed lift arms and stabilizers to the telescoping kinds? And was it worth it if you did? Should I just practice more and get used to what I have and save my money?

One more question.....the guy who used to scrape our driveways used a 70's model LONG tractor and the right lift arm adjustment had a hand crank which allowed him to adjust the angle of the blade/scraper without getting off the tractor. Why isn't it possible to find one of those from another manufacturer which is the same size and just put it on the Kubota? It seems like it should be easy to do, but maybe I am missing something. I saw a Bobcat that had this item, as well as the telescoping arms and stabilizers and they looked like they would fit. I think Bobcat is actually Kioti. I have both of those dealers within a few miles of my home. Any thoughts on this?

Again, one more question. It seems that my 3ph has the jerky lift, instead of the smooth motion like it does on the downward motion. I have read many threads about this issue and even discussed it with my dealer. They researched it and found that Kubota did issue an information bulletin about 5 years ago and that it was to change out the lift valve. The bulletin indicated that the new lift valve would be standard on all L-2800 tractors past a certain serial number. My serial number is like 8000 past that change, so they aren't sure what is going on. I did get a call from my dealer a few days ago and I was told that they had been in touch with Kubota service and had a couple of things they could try. They would be getting back in touch with me after things slowed down with some of the bad weather we are having in North Carolina. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue too. I am sure my dealer is open to suggestions. I am not sure I would have bought this particular model of tractor if I had known about this issue, although maybe in the long run, the jerky 3pt hitch may not be much of an issue.

Thanks for all the help.

Alex
Thanks for any input that anyone can give me. And keep up the good work, I really enjoy reading the posts on here.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Alex, congrats on the new Kubota.

I changed my L 3000 over to the telescoping stabilizers but chose not to go with the arms. In my opinion the stabilizers are money well spent. They are so much easier when changing implements over. I mostly have Bushhog brand equipment for this tractor and everything is a different width. The turn buckles got old real quick. I couldn't really justify the arms because the implements for this size tractor can be moved most of the time by hand enough to finish the hook up even if it is kind of a pain. I would for sure reccomend getting the stabilizers though.

When I bought my tractor Kubota didn't offer all the models like what they have today. The stabilizers were just offered on one model then which was the L 4300. The ones I bought were for this model and I paid about $250 for them. That was quite a few years ago so the price has changed I'm sure but I wouldn't think it would be to far off what I gave. If your dealer has trouble finding what you want send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info for my dealer and they can order them for you and have them shipped from Kubota.

Another option for the lift arms is Pat's easy change hitch system. I have never used any but it looks like it would work pretty good. They make several different styles. I have seen them that simply pin on, ones that replace telescoping ends and a weld on that replaces the original ball end. I think these are under $200 in most places.

Attachments

Stone

Jan 13, 2011
Deckerville, MI
www.farmdepot.biz
I would check on getting a quick hitch before buying the telescoping arms. You should be able to get one for your tractor for $200. They make hooking and un-hooking equipment to your 3ph alot easier. Any tractor dealer should have them as well as any farm supply.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I've been using a quickhitch from harbor freight for a couple yrs now. I know what your thinking! so did I at first, how could that harbor freight crap be any good. well for $89 I wouldn't be without one on my B7100. has held up well, and a heck of a lot easier too.

Tim in west Ky.

vaskeet

Equipment
l2250 l3700su
Jan 13, 2011
camden nc
also use harbor frieght quickhitch just switched it from my old l2250 to my new l3700su. Just make sure you get the optional top link attachment and get rid of the hook Randy

Stone

Jan 13, 2011
Deckerville, MI
www.farmdepot.biz
I am not sure about the quick hitch from Harbor Freight, but mine has an adjustable top link (hook) and that has come in handy since i use different equipment from different manufactures. (ie. Woods, Land Pride, TSC )

neilbedwell

May 11, 2010
Kentucky
I purchased the EXACT same tractor you have just this past year. The day I bought my tractor I told the salesman that I wanted the telescoping arms just like the one's on my buddy's M series tractor. He ordered a kit for it and was supposed to install them before delivery, but the kit didn't come in on time and he just sent them to me via UPS a couple days after he delivered my tractor. I installed them myself and tossed the turnbuckles in a box in my shed. If memory serves me, I paid $169 for the kit. I could be wrong, though. I'll look once I get home and make sure.

I have mixed emotions about them. I have R4 Industrial tires on my tractor and sometimes it is really hard to get the arms wide enough to go on a couple of my implements. The telescoping arms sit really close to the tires and limit the arm movement. My bush hog is the worst. I had to turn the pins around on my tiller to get it to work. I don't have that luxury with the bush hog.

I'll update this with the item number from my kit and verify the cost tonight.

My lift is jerky, too. To the point that it'll make the tractor hop if I adjust the lever just a little bit at a time. I have always thought this was normal with the system on those tractors. Is it?

UPDATE:

http://www.messicks.com/partsearch.aspx?pn=TC020-39700

Here is a link from messicks for the kit, so my price is probably right. Unfortunately, there is no picture. If you can get in touch with your dealer they can show you the parts catalog with a picture.

Last edited: