Replacing rear main seal in ZD 326 diesel.

frmraysd70

Equipment
ZD326P-60-Diesel
Jul 17, 2023
Johnston county, North Carolina
Hoping someone knows what tools are needed and any good tips on this repair. I'm double amputee & use no prosthetics , they actually get in the way especially doing things like this. It would be a lot easier on me having everything I need with no back and forth. Tomorrow morning I pick up the upgrade kit while a friend of mine cuts a hole to access the flywheel to prevent pulling the motor. I'm grateful for any advice.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
that's an awful big hole he's gonna have to cut to get the flywheel out...

seriously, the engine needs to come out. It's really, really hard to do it in the chassis even with a 14" diameter hole cut in the back. The kit usually comes with a steel sleeve that you have to slip over the crank flange, and getting it in there without bending it is tough enough with the engine on a table. Requires heat, like a hot plate or a stove with some hot oil in a pan to heat the sleeve so it'll slide on.

Reactions: 1 user

frmraysd70

Equipment
ZD326P-60-Diesel
Jul 17, 2023
Johnston county, North Carolina
that's an awful big hole he's gonna have to cut to get the flywheel out...

seriously, the engine needs to come out. It's really, really hard to do it in the chassis even with a 14" diameter hole cut in the back. The kit usually comes with a steel sleeve that you have to slip over the crank flange, and getting it in there without bending it is tough enough with the engine on a table. Requires heat, like a hot plate or a stove with some hot oil in a pan to heat the sleeve so it'll slide on.
Lugbolt I wanna thank you so much for your concern. What I failed to mention concerning the hole my buddy was cutting is that this guy is amazing when it comes to things like this. I told him what I had to do how I wanted to do it briefly mentioned a hole. Pretty soon he sent this picture. I don't recommend just anyone do this. If you'll look closely he had the mind to make a stop far enough away from the corners so the integrity stayed in tact. I'll cut grass for a couple hours after fix, check for leak, then it'll go back to his place the cut out will be replaced (welded) already got primer and Kubota grey paint and you'll hardly be able recognize when he's done. I'll post again before and after
One more thing my amputations are both above knee so when I slide out the wheelchair to the ground everything is right at the perfect level for me center of flywheel is just below eye level to me. The tip on heating that flange in oil I will be using, that piece of advice I can already say will prevent a whole lot of headache. Thanks again Lugbolt...

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users