Regarding coolant/Antifreeze brands

FJK

New member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400
Aug 16, 2022
10
1
3
Central California
Any alternative Manufacture brand to use? No Tractor supply stores near me but a bunch of Auto parts stores, was going to buy it by mail order until I saw the shipping cost, crazy high. So I'm looking for another option, but not at the price of wrecking the cooling system on my MX5400, I do the road trip if I must.
Thank guys
 

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,978
7,352
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Any alternative Manufacture brand to use? No Tractor supply stores near me but a bunch of Auto parts stores, was going to buy it by mail order until I saw the shipping cost, crazy high. So I'm looking for another option, but not at the price of wrecking the cooling system on my MX5400, I do the road trip if I must.
Thank guys
Use any decent quality long life coolant. There is ZERO danger of it wrecking the cooling system on your MX5400

Dan
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
343
193
43
Virginia
I'm not sure what color your coolant is.... I know mine uses the green, but yours being newer, not sure.
To me, the color is more important than brand.
 

John T

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 385XP Miller211 1952 Panhead Orange Ludwig 4 piece
May 5, 2017
1,373
896
113
under a rock
Oh Boy.... here we go.

pass the popcorn and Mr. Pibb
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Bee-Positive

Well-known member

Equipment
BX1880, Cab, FEL, Tooth Bar, MMM, QH, Ballast Box
Nov 16, 2022
1,204
1,106
113
Amsterdam, NY
As TheOldHokie said use any long life coolant.

Here's Kubota's take, make of it what you will. Universal "green" coolant is not recommended. YMMV
Read the 4th question under FAQ's for local auto store availability.


Pass the popcorn please...
 

ruger1980

Well-known member

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
592
257
63
CNY
As TheOldHokie said use any long life coolant.

Here's Kubota's take, make of it what you will. Universal "green" coolant is not recommended. YMMV
Read the 4th question under FAQ's for local auto store availability.


Pass the popcorn please...
That is a statement from Tractor Parts Central do you have anything from Kubota that verifies that? I have never seen anything from Kubota that states anything other than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. See attached from Kubota's Lubricants maintenance table.

1791336515181.png
 

number two

Active member

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
428
204
43
Northern Lower Michigan
Get a gallon of conventional green coolant for 10-12 bucks at the parts store.
And a gallon of distilled water for 1.50,mix 50/50.
Drain and refill.
Don't overthink it!
Good Luck!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,119
5,571
113
Michigan
I am "less picky" about my coolants than I am of other fluids like oils and such.

I keep a jug of "universal coolant" in the shop, and thats what everything gets.

It's "Wally World" brand I think.....(maybe O'Riellys?????)

That reminds me, I need to check my coolant.......
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,978
7,352
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The Kubota manuals explicitly say to use a long life coolant. That woukd be any of many OAT based formulations.

Use a conventional (IAT) coolant at your own risk.

Dan
 
Last edited:

GeoHorn

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
6,918
4,247
113
Texas
My Kubota calls for “ethylene glycol” type. To me…that’s Prestone. And COLOR doesn’t mean a DAMM THING!

There IS NO STANDARD COLOR SPECIFICATIONS for anti freeze. Each mfr’r does whatever his kids like and that’s all the “standard” there is. I.E., FORGET COLOR.

Buy an ethylene glycol antifreeze…and dilute it with distilled water …OR buy “pre-mix”.

NEVER use any chemical “flush” … unless you want to risk losing the water pump shortly thereafter.

Flush it with plain water from the garden hose…. then install the new antifreeze per the pkg instructs for a 50% mix.

IMG_0178.gif
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
12,978
7,352
113
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Indeed... Green is IAT, Orange is long life OAT.

Therefore, formulation and color go hand in hand. 🤯
The ranibow between the two is where things go off the rails.
Colors are meaningless. Kubota antifreeze is dyed green and its not IAT.

Kubota branded long life coolant is a phosphated OAT (POAT) formulation that is silicate, nitride, and borate free. In the US its made in Illinois by CCJ which is a large Japanese manufacturer that supplies factory fills for lots of different OEMs worldwide.

Kubota does not seem to care what specific formulation you use as long as its NOT IAT. If coolant chemistry is greek to you, you dont have a clue what IAT and OAT mean, and/or fears of wrecking your tractor keep you awake at night buy the jugs that say Kubota on the outside. Otherwise theres a rainbow of perfectly fine alternatives.

Dan
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Trash Panda

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
290
271
63
Wyoming
Indeed... Green is IAT, Orange is long life OAT.

Therefore, formulation and color go hand in hand. 🤯
The ranibow between the two is where things go off the rails.
The rainbow extends much further, and all “green” coolant isn’t IAT. Plenty of orange HOAT and red OAT floating around too.

The color is simply the dye that a manufacturer chooses to use, and has nothing to do with the additive package in the coolant.

Choosing a coolant solely by color is one sure fire way to end up with the wrong chemistry in your unit. It’s how so many RAM owners ended up with peanut butter heater cores by inadvertently mixing HOAT and OAT coolants.

Gotta read the label, else you’re just rolling the dice.
 

John T

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 385XP Miller211 1952 Panhead Orange Ludwig 4 piece
May 5, 2017
1,373
896
113
under a rock
My 2017 still has the same coolant it came from the factory with....

thanks for the corn
IMG_0178.gif
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users