Rear differential lock not engaging

overmyhead

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2601
Jan 27, 2023
Hebron,Maine
Works sometimes but often will just give an indication of engaging when spinning wheels very slowly. Can't fin any adjustments to take up linkage. I'm practically standing on the lever at times with no engagement. Have always resisted the urge to jamb it when I;ve floated a drive wheel on uneven terrain so as not to snap off a cog. What's a mother to do?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Works sometimes but often will just give an indication of engaging when spinning wheels very slowly. Can't fin any adjustments to take up linkage. I'm practically standing on the lever at times with no engagement. Have always resisted the urge to jamb it when I;ve floated a drive wheel on uneven terrain so as not to snap off a cog. What's a mother to do?
Tractor model?

HST or Gear Tractor?

Yes, its a patently bad idea to try to engage the locking diff mechanism when the tires are spinning (even at low speed there can be a lot of torque going on).

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Tractor model?

HST or Gear Tractor?
It's under their profile; Equipment: 2017 Kubota B2601

Which I think are all HST... But they did not make them until 2018 (but whatever...)

Never engage the differential lock when there is ANY movement in the rear axle. Also, "standing" on it, could also bend or break something. It's not easy or cheap if you do break it!

With it parked, see if the differential lever moves freely, up and down. It's only engage when you are pressing down. (it not like click it on and off) As soon as you lift your foot, it should pop out of gear. Don't drive on hard ground with it engaged.

Reactions: 1 users

overmyhead

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 Kubota B2601
Jan 27, 2023
Hebron,Maine

Which I think are all HST... But they did not make them until 2018 (but whatever...)

Never engage the differential lock when there is ANY movement in the rear axle. Also, "standing" on it, could also bend or break something. It's not easy or cheap if you do break it!

With it parked, see if the differential lever moves freely, up and down. It's only engage when you are pressing down. (it not like click it on and off) As soon as you lift your foot, it should pop out of gear. Don't drive on hard ground with it engaged.
2017 B2601 HST

Model B2601 SPRING of 2017 HST
The lever requires a certain amount of pressure to move up and down but it seems to move ok and returns on its own. When it does engage sometimes it's only if I have it tight to the floor board. I've always had the impression it was barely engaged and needed adjustment and have found none externally.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It engages by sliding pins. If they aren't lined up with the holes, they won't engage. That's why the foot pedal doesn't always go down, and why it's engaged when the pedal is fully depressed (the pins were able to slide into the holes). Forcing won't help, and attempting to engage when the wheel is spinning significantly can damage the pins and/or the holes through shearing effect. Sometimes, there is no choice but to gently spin a tire until the pins line up. The key is to do it gently, and stop spinning the tire as soon as you feel it slide in. Once the pedal is all the way down, then you can attempt to move the tractor.

Reactions: 1 users