RCK60-24B Gearbox

Oaktodd

Jan 18, 2012
Ball Ground GA
Hello everyone. I have a RCK60-24B deck with probably around 1000 to 1200 hours of use(tractor has a little over 1300 hours) and it looks like the lower gearbox seal failed while the wife was mowing with it. From what I have searched, that is about how long they last. I'm not sure how long she mowed with the oil gone.

Yesterday I pulled everything apart and cleaned the 15 years of grease off of everything.
DSCN2519.jpg

I'm thinking I chipped the pinion shaft at the very end while trying to remove it as seen here. Will this be okay to use? I don't think the gear rides that low but I'm not sure.
DSCN2521.jpg

The gears look okay for being run without any oil....I think.
DSCN2526.jpg

I don't have a service manual for this deck on checking the gear backlash and I got the shims mixed up on removal. I have (2) 0.013 on one side and a 0.008 & 0.013 on the other side of the pinion shaft. I could not find any shims on the other shaft as shown in the parts breakdown.
DSCN2520.jpg

Is there a manual out there that shows the rebuilding procedure of the gearbox? I also ordered all new bearings, seals, caps and retainer clips for the complete deck.
Thanks in advance.

Oaktodd

Jan 18, 2012
Ball Ground GA
Okay guys, I'm getting this thing back together but I have a question. On page S-13 they talk about putting "fuses" in between the gears and then measure the thickness to check the backlash. What are they talking about?
TIA, Todd

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuses in this case is a soft piece of metal (use soft solder) and a mic to check the tolerance.

Oaktodd

Jan 18, 2012
Ball Ground GA
Well, that didn't work. One piece of solder I had was too small and the other was 95/5 I use at work. It was kind of big to use but I did and it sort of crushed it into the shape of the gear and I couldn't use my micrometer on it.

I used the original shims (that I mixed up) and placed them so that the gears are closest together. Can you use a dial indicator to measure them?